Lambo2936

Bringing gun to my place of business *need answer asap*

Hey all, gotta run so im going to be quick. Many of you know i have a business in Newark. Been working crazy hours and have been having issues with attempted break ins and such at my warehouse. Its my fathers property, but i use half of the warehouse, he uses the other half.

I know you could have a gun at your place of business and i plan on bringing my glock with me but can i bring my rifle, too? Standard nj compliant AR. No hollow point ammo for either, just std crap.

Let me know! Thanks!!

• Like 1

Two businesses run out of there. One is legally mine, the other is legally my fathers.

Is a loaded rifle allowed? W/o a chambered round, but loaded mag? Gotta go weld up a bracket for another lock and such.

Plenty of witnesses, etc. Know this as well, whether locals or whatever. Dont plan on shooting anyone but not a fan of being there at night w/o it. Will be there with an open gate to work on it, so its not like i could lock myself in.

Obnoxious Yet Required Note: I am not a lawyer. Pay a lawyer if you need legal advice.

I would carry a loaded weapon at my place of business, just like at my home. Be very aware of physical boundaries of business area. Common sense, legality of retreat where possible and use of force rules, blah, blah, blah apply.

Self-Defense (S3:E7) was up on Law & Order today, involving a business owner shooting would be robbers with guns, but then pursues them outside the business area. I know its TV, but something to keep in mind. 

• Like 2

Just remember.  If you have obtained your fid card in nj.   You can open carry any long rifle anywhere except exempt locations in nj. You can carry when you go to work.   While you are are work.  While you're at lunch.   When you're going home.  Open carry.  You're within the law to carry.  Your fid card allows you to open or disclosed carry a longarm in nj.  Unloaded.  Unloaded.  Unloaded.  Carry on pvt. 

carry pistol is a whole nother thing. Its the domain thing 

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

Just remember.  If you have obtained your fid card in nj.   You can open carry any long rifle anywhere except exempt locations in nj. You can carry when you go to work.   While you are are work.  While you're at lunch.   When you're going home.  Open carry.  You're within the law to carry.  Your fid card allows you to open or disclosed carry a longarm in nj.  Unloaded.  Unloaded.  Unloaded.  Carry on pvt. 

carry pistol is a whole nother thing. Its the domain thing 

Pretty much covered long guns here. The only issue is unloaded or loaded. IANAL, but carrying loaded on private property is at the discretion of the owner.  If Charlie Karkenfarker let's me carry a long gun on loaded on his property it sounds like Charlie's business not the state's.

You can transport your long guns unloaded anywhere in the state with a NJFID.

As far as a handgun, does your father keep anything in your half of the warehouse?  Even if he does to a limited extent it sounds like half of the warehouse is "possessed" by you.  You don't have to own it, you don't need a rental agreement or lease.  It's  "possessed" by you.  Sounds to me like you can take a handgun there and transport it back and forth to your residence.

Keep in mind if you consult an attorney, the attorney will be conservative in his or her opinion.  That's doing their job.

You need to read the law and do what you feel comfortable with doing.

• Like 1

Yeah, im confident that if it came to standing in front of the jury id have sufficient evidence to protect myself as far as proving that its my business or whatever goes. Fortunately, everything went well. Will probably start carrying there daily. Few shady occurances lately along with the neighbor stating that kids were trying to break in. If its within the law i dont see why not.

• Like 1

I remember reading this same Q&A months ago.  Nothing in the law has since changed....

"BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, ETC., ETC., (COMMA!), OR other land or property owned or possessed by him"

Punctuation MATTERS :) .  Read your EXEMPTIONS, they are your FRIENDS!

Stay safe in Newark & do what you have to to stay ALIVE.  And don't publish whatcha hafta do to DO IT :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mossburger said:

Would strongly recommend a 12-gauge instead of a .223 for home defense. But, go with what you feel best with. 

Its not for home defense. Ended up just carrying my glock, any sort of long gun is just a hassle. Just need to get new sights for my G19 or a holster for my VP9 so i could carry that.

1 hour ago, CageFighter said:

if u already have a pistol onsite, do u need the rifle?

Not really, ended up not taking it. Just an inconvenience.

• Like 1