Mrs. Peel

Second Amend Foundation (SAF) Joins Amicus Brief re: SCOTUS Review of MD Gun Case

I don't think anyone has mentioned this legal case in awhile... but it's an interesting one to keep an eye on. The Second Amendment Foundation just joined in on an amicus brief... the long and short of it, they're asking SCOTUS to review a case in Maryland - and arguing that what the state has proposed is unconstitutional under the 2A as laid out in the Heller case --- meaning that MD is trying to outlaw an entire "class" of "common use" firearms -- semi-auto sports-utility rifles.

They're hoping to get the Supremes to take the case when they return in October. Personally, I still think that's rather risky with the current panel of judges... and of course, there's no guarantee SCOTUS will even take the case. Still, I believe it's one to watch. Because 2 of the Supremes as I recall were pushing recently for SCOTUS to take on a 2A case. So, sooner or later, one of these cases in the pipeline will be heard. If it's this one, I would think it could have broad implications for a few other states - like our own Joisey (should a certain you-know-who become Gov). 

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/saf-joins-amicus-brief-asking-high-court-review-maryland-gun-case/#axzz4qcgNUIL1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brisco said:

Hmmm... yes, it IS the same case! For those of you who've been around these issues much longer than me... I'm curious, has this kind of groundswell support from AGs ever happened in previous gun cases making their way up the chain towards SCOTUS?

If not, then I suspect those recent comments by Gorsuch and Thomas (indicating their eagerness to take on a 2A case) are making 2A proponents around the country think this may be a good time to strike. Now I definitely believe this case is one to watch! It seems to be picking up some steam... yes?