Extricator

Mossberg 144 22lr t-bolt

Good Afternoon everyone,

I am new to this site after stumbling upon it looking to get information on an old target rifle I have that I am getting ready to part with.  Does anyone have some good references on 22 rimfire clubs or sites that are familiar with the Mossberg 22lr's?  It is a Mossberg 22lr with t-bolt, mossberg front and rear peep sights, original scope and still has the green and red pegs for safety.  This gun is near mint condition.  I am trying to put a real world value on it.  I am told it is a desirable gun for the collector target shooting crowd.  I am also looking for a nice pistol for my daughter in either the 380 or 22lr caliber.  I have my permits in hand.

I will reply with more info later. However, I own a mossberg 144 LSB that I purchased in 1974. Great target shooting rifle.  Why are you planning to part with it?  I plan to pass mine to my kids.

Oldguy,

Just thinning out the herd.  I got this rifle when I was 15yrs old when I joined our rifle club in school and started shooting in local competitions.  I haven't shot this gun in many years and my daughter has no interest in it.  I just picked up a new handgun for myself and am ready to use the second permit to pick up a pistol for my daughter to shoot with me.  She has no interest in the rifle but does like shooting pistols. This one is one of the first ones that Mossberg made so I am told.  It is prior to the LS model made in 1949 - 1954?  

Extricator:

Don't make the mistake of thinking since .380 is the short (kurz) form of 9 mm that it is low recoil - that only holds true if you are shooting it in a locked breach gun. Most .380's are of the blow-back design which actually may exert a higher recoil impulse than a locked breach 9 mm. If you want to start her with a centerfire round, 9 mm (9x19) is a better bet - cheaper ammo and less recoil generally.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: I've also got a 144LSB

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 1:41 PM, Extricator said:

Thanks Bob,

We are going out this weekend and she is going to try my brother's 380 and his wifes M&P 22lr.  I want to pick up something she will enjoy shooting....

22lr will be the better choice i have PT380 almost full size 9mm frame and it kicks harder than my 9mm. Max and Anastasia both fired it at brick and were surprised of the blow back being 380.

Thanks guys...Made up our minds this weekend.  My daughter shot my 9mm, Bodyguard 380, Ruger 22lr, and my brothers Browning Buckmark with red dot sight.  She can handle all of them but she fell in love with the Buckmark.  Looks like I am now in the market for the Buckmark 22lr for her...LOL.

For replacement parts for old Mossberg rifles, check out Havelin Sales. I don't have the link handy but Google them.  I have purchased some parts from them for my 144, including the little red and green buttons as well as a new trigger guard. The original trigger guard pulled away from the stock. 

• Like 1