Howard

USPSA Area8 Video

On 8/26/2017 at 7:22 PM, Howard said:

So you got to see me over run targets, do some standing reloads and a bunch of other dumb stuff. Not my finest outing.

if you say thats what i watched, then yes

although after watching a few stages all i could think is damn my wife would kill me if i got into competitive shooting....

I was really impressed by this, Howard! Of course, all it did for ME was validate my suspicion that I should avoid action shooting LIKE THE PLAGUE! LOL, I have this theory, when it comes to sports, there are basically 2 types of people in the world - your graceful, athletic Jock types who move about like nimble-footed gazelles, and your klutzy Geek types, who move more like lumbering oxen. Sadly, I fall into that second category!

Yes, I was one of those sad little munchkins who was always one of the last picked for teams in gym class (still traumatized years later, LOL). And I couldn't even muster a "proper" cartwheel... generally pretty uncoordinated. (But I was kickass at archery! Hand-eye coordination is good.... but doing anything "on the move"... bad, oh so bad!) So, I looked at your tapes and all I could think was, "Whoa, that board right there is a tripping hazard..." - "Yikes, there's another tripping hazard..." - "OMG, I'd definitely fall off that seesaw thing...", etc. etc. My stomach was in a knot just watching it! So, my hat is off to you (and the rest of you out there) pursuing any of these action shooting sports. :hi:

Me? I'll stick with the shooting sports where my feet are planted firmly on the ground... and they're not moving! I think it will be safer for all of us... and that can only be a good thing! :D

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I was really impressed by this, Howard! Of course, all it did for ME was validate my suspicion that I should avoid action shooting LIKE THE PLAGUE! LOL, I have this theory, when it comes to sports, there are basically 2 types of people in the world - your graceful, athletic Jock types who move about like nimble-footed gazelles, and your klutzy Geek types, who move more like lumbering oxen. Sadly, I fall into that second category!

Yes, I was one of those sad little munchkins who was always one of the last picked for teams in gym class (still traumatized years later, LOL). And I couldn't even muster a "proper" cartwheel... generally pretty uncoordinated. (But I was kickass at archery! Hand-eye coordination is good.... but doing anything "on the move"... bad, oh so bad!) So, I looked at your tapes and all I could think was, "Whoa, that board right there is a tripping hazard..." - "Yikes, there's another tripping hazard..." - "OMG, I'd definitely fall off that seesaw thing...", etc. etc. My stomach was in a knot just watching it! So, my hat is off to you (and the rest of you out there) pursuing any of these action shooting sports. :hi:

Me? I'll stick with the shooting sports where my feet are planted firmly on the ground... and they're not moving! I think it will be safer for all of us... and that can only be a good thing! :D

Peel, you are a PIP! :) 

Fear not Grasshopper, for Howard thrust himself into the breach of a multi-state tournament-level match, NOT a local gun club's league match by ANY means of the imagination.  He didn't finish where he wanted to, and he admitted his mistakes & PUBLISHED THEM FOR ALL TO SEE so we can all learn from him.  Howard is truly blossoming into a Mentor w/o realizing it, so I tip my hat to him as well!  In addition, this is USPSA runnin' & gunnin', NOT the somewhat slower IDPA where the round counts are half of what you see in these stages.  A baby has to learn to crawl before they run, and so to should you Grasshopper!  Which is why all of the "Action Folks" recommend static steel for gun handling & accuracy building (where your feet are firmly planted on the ground w/o movement in most cases), and then moving to IDPA so ya can learn how to hide behind walls & furniture at your home as you "play the game" & engage "threats".  I swear to God you're like the kid who can't swim?  Whatcha need is someone to pick ya up & throw yer ass into the pond like John Wayne did in the Movies :) .  You'll have it all figured-out by then & "wish you had a V-8"!

Let's go shoot a static steel match together!  Just bring some dry clothes cause ya might piss yerself that ya did so good :) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Peel, you are a PIP! :) 

Fear not Grasshopper, for Howard thrust himself into the breach of a multi-state tournament-level match, NOT a local gun club's league match by ANY means of the imagination.  He didn't finish where he wanted to, and he admitted his mistakes & PUBLISHED THEM FOR ALL TO SEE so we can all learn from him.  Howard is truly blossoming into a Mentor w/o realizing it, so I tip my hat to him as well!  In addition, this is USPSA runnin' & gunnin', NOT the somewhat slower IDPA where the round counts are half of what you see in these stages.  A baby has to learn to crawl before they run, and so to should you Grasshopper!  Which is why all of the "Action Folks" recommend static steel for gun handling & accuracy building (where your feet are firmly planted on the ground w/o movement in most cases), and then moving to IDPA so ya can learn how to hide behind walls & furniture at your home as you "play the game" & engage "threats".  I swear to God you're like the kid who can't swim?  Whatcha need is someone to pick ya up & throw yer ass into the pond like John Wayne did in the Movies :) .  You'll have it all figured-out by then & "wish you had a V-8"!

Let's go shoot a static steel match together!  Just bring some dry clothes cause ya might piss yerself that ya did so good :) 

Nope! I've been to a local IDPA match too (Pizza Bob kindly invited me a long time ago). I don't know why people tend to argue this point. Howard is clearly of the nimble-footed type I described. I am not. I'm a grown woman who is fully aware of my strengths and my weaknesses. I'm going to rely on my own good judgment --- action shooting will NEVER be my thing. I am looking forward to the steel though! I looked at the Old Bridge tapes online, and I can DEFINITELY handle that... it looks like big-time FUN actually! I marked the October date on my calendar and plan to register beforehand. (I can't do the Sept date unfortunately).

Meanwhile, Howard, pls continue to post tapes! It's fun to watch (despite the knot in my stomach). :shok:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Nope! I've been to a local IDPA match too (Pizza Bob kindly invited me a long time ago). I don't know why people tend to argue this point. Howard is clearly of the nimble-footed type I described. I am not. I'm a grown woman who is fully aware of my strengths and my weaknesses. I'm going to rely on my own good judgment --- action shooting will NEVER be my thing. I am looking forward to the steel though! I looked at the Old Bridge tapes online, and I can DEFINITELY handle that... it looks like big-time FUN actually! I marked the October date on my calendar and plan to register beforehand. (I can't do the Sept date unfortunately).

Meanwhile, Howard, pls continue to post tapes! It's fun to watch (despite the knot in my stomach). :shok:

First, thanks Dave for the kind words.

Don't fear this stuff, you don't have to run like a wild beast to have fun.  As Dave mentioned this was the Area8 annual match which draws from about five states where you have some of the best of the best shooting.  Heck a bunch of these folks can shoot a stage twice as fast as I could run it without even having a gun in my hand or aiming and shooting.  That is life.  I wan't always picked last in gym class but I was never picked first.  Also I never touched a gun till I was 54, I'm 59 now.  I did not shoot my first match till I classified as a Senior either.  This was a big match, local club matches are nothing like this.  Check out the match at Shongum Sportsmen's association this Saturday if you are in the area.  We typically have two bigger stages with movement - but not lots of running and three or four small stages where you just shoot from a box or maybe shoot from one box and then step into another.  You also compete against other at your skill set.  I kick some people's ass while getting my as kicked by others - its all fun. There are people that walk the stages too.  I shot a match yesterday in PA where a guy that was probably 85 walked the stages and shot slow but he had just about all dead center head shots - he never even tried for the easier body shots.  Once you try this you will never go back to shooting plain targets at a range.

As Dave suggested static steel at Old Bridge is a great match to try, but it is easy to feel you suck there as some of the people are so freakin fast.  When I first tried that discipline I hated it as everyone would kick my ass and I felt I really sucked.  Now I enjoy it.  The other fun match they have there is knockdown steel, which while some stages have a little movement is really just shooting from static positions.  What is nice about that match is you don't draw from a holster, so no special skill or equipment is needed.  All you need for that is a 9mm or larger gun and about five magazines.  If you have a common gun (Glock, CZ, etc) there are lots of people that will lend you magazines if you don't have enough.  Give them all a try is all I can say, you will have fun.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Howard said:

Knew he was there, and he actually did well - winning Revolver division !!!

I shot thursday howard, were you there? 

Got a video of the same stage, running my smith and wesson 627 revolver ---- Slightly different stage plan.

9 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

I shot thursday howard, were you there? 

Got a video of the same stage, running my smith and wesson 627 revolver ---- Slightly different stage plan.

No, I shot Friday.  Glad I did as we finished around 5:30 but I heard people went until 7:30 on Thursday.  I would imagine your stage plans were very different with those tiny "magazines" you had to use.  I'll take a look a see how someone that knows what they are doing did it.  Thanks for sharing.  Oh, mine should have had all thirteen stages there is you went till the end.  Let me know if that is not the case.

PS - very impressed that you saw to take the low target on the left from the middle avoiding that position, I did not notice it was available from there.  Guess I don't have the GM eye ;)

9 minutes ago, Howard said:

No, I shot Friday.  Glad I did as we finished around 5:30 but I heard people went until 7:30 on Thursday.  I would imagine your stage plans were very different with those tiny "magazines" you had to use.  I'll take a look a see how someone that knows what they are doing did it.  Thanks for sharing.  Oh, mine should have had all thirteen stages there is you went till the end.  Let me know if that is not the case.

PS - very impressed that you saw to take the low target on the left from the middle avoiding that position, I did not notice it was available from there.  Guess I don't have the GM eye ;)

Thursday went very late, I recall leaving the range about 715

There was just enough target showing in between the barrels to " thread the needle " - Hard shot, but the reward was worth the risk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alec.mc said:

Thursday went very late, I recall leaving the range about 715

There was just enough target showing in between the barrels to " thread the needle " - Hard shot, but the reward was worth the risk. 

Talking of thread the needle that is what I did on the last swinger on the teeter totter stage.  I only got one shot off on the swing so I took a knee in the exit box and fired one shot into the sliver of "D" that was exposed under the no shoot.  I was told the RO's looked in disbelief and then said "Did he really do that" as evidently they had not seen anyone else take that shot.  Fun match.

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Remember, Peel, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. 

Speed will come with confidence and time. Don't be afraid of it! Try it!!

• Like 1

"Slow is smooth & SMOOTH IS FAST"!  My brother Bill used to say that all the time.  He was right.  Bill died over 9 years ago, after suffering a MI at a USPSA match in PA & driving himself home.  Life is SHORT, so pump all of the lead ya can & don't ever say ya don't wanna try..........

• Like 1

Alec that was a nice stage!  Lookin' great!  Your little guy may be ready in a coupla years, lol!  One of the greatest pleasures a father can have is to watch his offspring compete in the shooting sports :) .  Continued success!