MartyZ

Thinking of giving up reloading

Just my rant of the day, I started reloading about 3 years ago hoping to save money on ammo, little did I know how much actual time it took to reload a badge of a few hundred. Well, that was not the worst of it, lately I have been dreading going to the range for the simple reason that I didn't want to pick up brass. Picking up brass, at least for me was the worst part of reloading and wasted half my time at the range. I used to love going to the range to shoot but lately I started hating it simply due to the fact that I knew I would be picking up brass. Yes I have tried all the commercially and even some home made brass catchers but it was still a pain.

Well yesterday I went to the range and decided I would not be picking up brass. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun at the range not having to pick of brass. I have finally decided to give up reloading, at least for now, especially with the price of ammo as it currently is. I will finish up all the components I still have, but once that is all done, i'm done. I never want to pick up brass again.

Rant off! 

LMAO.... I hear ya..... I was thinking of getting into reloading but my attention span will not let me. I don't have patience to do tedious work like that. Nor do I want to spend hours in my semi-unfinished basement doing it. I don't mind picking it up. But I do it at the end of my shooting day. I started picking up 308 brass just to see if I get enough of it, if it was worth selling as once fired brass. What really ends up happening, someone there will say, "buddy do you want your brass? I usually say nope, have at it, it's yours". They want it, they pick it up. Otherwise I sweep it up and dump it in the brass disposal can.

The pendulum has shifted again.  Ammo is everywhere and getting cheaper by the month as Federal lays the hammer down.  If it shifts again and ammo becomes pricey and not as available, the presses will get dusted off.

regarding common caliber pistol ammo, many people buy once fired brass, reload, shoot, and buy more brass again next season.  Wheel gun shooters are more likely to pick up brass and reload multiple times due to costs.  Reloading is almost a must for avid precision/heavy rifle unless you can bank roll/sacrifice accuracy.

Reloading is a sense of freedom for me.  "Donating" your brass to the club/range is just as good if they use the scrap money to help fund junior programs.

44 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Just my rant of the day, I started reloading about 3 years ago hoping to save money on ammo, little did I know how much actual time it took to reload a badge of a few hundred. Well, that was not the worst of it, lately I have been dreading going to the range for the simple reason that I didn't want to pick up brass. Picking up brass, at least for me was the worst part of reloading and wasted half my time at the range. I used to love going to the range to shoot but lately I started hating it simply due to the fact that I knew I would be picking up brass. Yes I have tried all the commercially and even some home made brass catchers but it was still a pain.

Well yesterday I went to the range and decided I would not be picking up brass. I don't remember the last time I had so much fun at the range not having to pick of brass. I have finally decided to give up reloading, at least for now, especially with the price of ammo as it currently is. I will finish up all the components I still have, but once that is all done, i'm done. I never want to pick up brass again.

Rant off! 

Press fo sale?

14 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

I was excited about reloading in the beginning. Now all the equipment, material and brass is sitting and collecting dust. May be some day. 

Press for sale?

14 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Not yet, but eventually

You're jus burnt. Buy some factory for a while 

A lot of the reloading experience depends on your attitude and what you are trying to accomplish.

I only shoot my own reloaded ammo.  Bulk pistol I knock out by the hundreds in an hour or two.

Reloading precision ammo is the only way you get superb accuracy.

If I was a banger just throwing lead down range, I probably wouldn't reload.  But that's not the case.

As far as picking up brass...Bulk pistol ammo I don't agonize over but pick up at the end with a nut picker.

But my expensive cases I shoot next to a Walmart fold up laundry basket because the cases are about a buck a piece.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Old School said:

A lot of the reloading experience depends on your attitude and what you are trying to accomplish.

I only shoot my own reloaded ammo.  Bulk pistol I knock out by the hundreds in an hour or two.

Reloading precision ammo is the only way you get superb accuracy.

If I was a banger just throwing lead down range, I probably wouldn't reload.  But that's not the case.

As far as picking up brass...Bulk pistol ammo I don't agonize over but pick up at the end with a nut picker.

But my expensive cases I shoot next to a Walmart fold up laundry basket because the cases are about a buck a piece.

They make fold up laundry baskets?

bitchen!

I have no problem spending time to reload, even though I didn't expected to spend so much time, i'm ok with it. My prob is picking up brass, and maybe it's my OCD but I only want my own brass not no one else's because I know how many times my brass has been shot. And shooting at any public range your brass goes all over the place and if I wait till the end to pick it up I won't know which is mine and which isn't. Maybe I will look into buying brass, but all I know is that the chore of picking up brass is killing my enjoyment of shooting. 

I don't reload much just because I don't really have the space to mount all my stuff, but I hang onto everything. During the 2012/2013 panic buying I was able to keep myself in .223 because I had the stuff to load it.

Even if I'm not actively doing it, I like having the option for a rainy day, though I have considered selling some of my once-fired brass that I don't plan to reload any time soon, like .30-06

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

you don't really need that much space to reload unless you're trying to setup a designated area in your house to do so.  I keep all my reloading gear in a box in the closet and set it up with C-clamps on a block when I need to.  it only takes up about 1.5-2 ft of space on my desk when it's all said and done.  it's worked great for me for some time now and no issues whatsoever.  it's ghetto, but it works well if you don't have a lot of space to work with.

5 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I have no problem spending time to reload, even though I didn't expected to spend so much time, i'm ok with it. My prob is picking up brass, and maybe it's my OCD but I only want my own brass not no one else's because I know how many times my brass has been shot. And shooting at any public range your brass goes all over the place and if I wait till the end to pick it up I won't know which is mine and which isn't. Maybe I will look into buying brass, but all I know is that the chore of picking up brass is killing my enjoyment of shooting. 

"I won't know which is mine" May i suggest using a sharppie marker on on your brass , whats not yours you can load into a bucket and give it to me  lol  

1 minute ago, onedown5up said:

"I won't know which is mine" May i suggest using a sharppie marker on on your brass , whats not yours you can load into a bucket and give it to me  lol  

I tried that also, and it worked, but it took me longer having to look at each piece of brass I picked up. I just got tired of picking up all the brass.

When I get tired of picking up brass I will just shoot .22 rimfire -- usually only lasts a few range sessions

I will never sell my reloading equipment -- I had it in storage for a decade as my kids where growing up and life got in the way

During an ammo recession is when you'll appreciate being able to roll your own -- just stock up on components now while they are cheap and available

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

I reload by pressing the "Submit Order" button on my phone or laptop.  The ammo then magically appears at my doorstep in a perfect box.  

Well,  those days will be ending.  

I'm in with Nickjc.  The best ammo I ever shot was the ammo I loaded.  I will never be caught short again.

19 hours ago, Nickjc said:

You can buy ammo?

I haven't purchased a new box of ammo in any pistol or rifle caliber in literally - ..years.

I reloaded shotgun as well but not so much lately still have all the gear needed with components - ya know just in case.

In about 6 months - I guarantee you will be signing a different tune.

If you are not stocking up now with components for the eventual NJ smackdown, ur nutty. ..lol

Reloading offers absolute freedom. ....

Picking up brass?  A hassle? - shoot I am a proverbial brass whore.....I will take mine and all the other that people want to toss. 

In a session hr is 300 plus bulk loaded 55gr 556 is easy..once the prep is done.

Pistol 400? Plus minus of any caliber...in same time frame.

Don't give up on it....Stock up now while u can

I'm with you Nick - I don't buy loaded ammo when at all possible.  The only thing I do buy is defense ammo occasionally. For example, I recently had to buy another LCP (took me a phone call, $160 and a 5 minute ride to my local FFL.  Gotta love SC)  Well I went to the gun room and loaded 50 rds. for test firing took me about 1/2 hour because I had to set up the Dillon for 380acp.  Went out in the yard test fired and done,  

Reloading takes a little more than it takes to order on line and walk to the door to pick up the UPS box.  

Like I said in my original post, I don't have a problem with reloading, it's picking up brass that annoys me. For some reason it just makes my time at the range so much less enjoyable, so much so that sometimes I don't want to go because I dreading picking up brass.