MartyZ

Thinking of giving up reloading

15 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I reload by pressing the "Submit Order" button on my phone or laptop.  The ammo then magically appears at my doorstep in a perfect box.  

That's the statement of someone who doesn't shoot a lot. 

Manufactured ammo is definitely not free of defects. I've seen plenty. But much, much more common is that by the time the supply chain gets it to me, it sure as heck isn't a perfect box anymore. 

20 hours ago, raz-0 said:

That's the statement of someone who doesn't shoot a lot. 

Manufactured ammo is definitely not free of defects. I've seen plenty. But much, much more common is that by the time the supply chain gets it to me, it sure as heck isn't a perfect box anymore. 

Incorrect on all levels.  

53 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Incorrect on all levels.  

So you had the magic web site that had 22 when nobody else did? 

You never had shopping monkeys scatter your ammo all over creation and sorry if cream it back in the box and tape it up?

And you have never had a bull factory round?

Then you don't shoot a lot, sorry. None of those things are all that rare.

8 hours ago, raz-0 said:

So you had the magic web site that had 22 when nobody else did? 

You never had shopping monkeys scatter your ammo all over creation and sorry if cream it back in the box and tape it up?

And you have never had a bull factory round?

Then you don't shoot a lot, sorry. None of those things are all that rare.

I don't have a lot of 22

No

Yes, but with factory reloads

And I do, just shot my LCR, 92FS and CZ P07 Compact this afternoon.

Thanks 

I still have a lot of .223, .45, 9mm, .308, .44, and .357 brass. I will continue to reload until that is all gone. Maybe, as someone said, I just need a brake from picking up brass, we will see. All I know is that I am not picking up any more brass for the foreseeable future. Maybe I will eventually find a brass catcher that actually works without having me contort myself to shoot almost touching it.

is it that hard to pick up the brass? when i shoot i go through about 300 or so rounds. at the very end i just sweep it all into a nice pile and scoop it into the container. if you're at a range you have to sweep it up anyway

On 9/1/2017 at 2:12 PM, JackDaWack said:

How many laws did Christie Veto in the past couple years? You really don't have to think much about it, they can only get worse.

banning ammo sales online was NOT one of the vetos. it never got past committee.

Marty - then there's the opposite side of shooting ...

I cast - reload & hand load for every caliber of firearm that I own including 22LR with black powder.  Includes 22LR up to 50-70 and metrics.  The last and about the only time I bought factory ammunition was 2 boxes of 303 British from Privi Partizan to pull the jacket bullets to reload them with lead cast bullets for a 1893 Styer Martini Mark III rifle with smokeless and black powders.  Being retired, I find enjoyment doing this instead of buying factory ammo, the majority of which is not obtainable for retail sale because the Pb bullet caliber rounds are non existent

On 9/1/2017 at 10:41 AM, Ray Ray said:

It amazes me how much people think is actually gonna happen IF Murphy is elected.

Well, Murphy has made it pretty clear that he intends to enact some new "common sense" laws once he's in office. 

Ditching reloading because picking up brass is a bother is kinda lame.  There's a bunch of ways to manage spent brass with catchers, screens or a brass wizard and marking your brass. I can understand if you don't like reloading in general, don't have the time or space or any of a number of good reasons.  But picking up brass being too much of a hassle, c'mon.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Well, Murphy has made it pretty clear that he intends to enact some new "common sense" laws once he's in office. 

Ditching reloading because picking up brass is a bother is kinda lame.  There's a bunch of ways to manage spent brass with catchers, screens or a brass wizard and marking your brass. I can understand if you don't like reloading in general, don't have the time or space or any of a number of good reasons.  But picking up brass being too much of a hassle, c'mon.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. For me, having to pick up brass diminishes the enjoyment of shooting, plain and simple. Everyone has their own reasons, this is mine.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartyZ said:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. For me, having to pick up brass diminishes the enjoyment of shooting, plain and simple. Everyone has their own reasons, this is mine.  

Do keep in mind that often, as long as you buy in bulk, you can buy once fired brass and leave it at the range and still come up cheaper than retail. It is borderline and fluctuates with the various market conditions. 

I recently picked up .40 brass for $0.25 per k.  If I never re-used a case, a round costs me less than $0.17 cheapest .40 on the search engines is $0.195 per round for something new manufacture that isn't tailored to my needs (but does at least make major pf). And that's with deep discounts on ammo right now. It's usually more. 

32 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Do keep in mind that often, as long as you buy in bulk, you can buy once fired brass and leave it at the range and still come up cheaper than retail. It is borderline and fluctuates with the various market conditions. 

I recently picked up .40 brass for $0.25 per k.  If I never re-used a case, a round costs me less than $0.17 cheapest .40 on the search engines is $0.195 per round for something new manufacture that isn't tailored to my needs (but does at least make major pf). And that's with deep discounts on ammo right now. It's usually more. 

That's a great idea, I will definitely look into that.

28 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Are you saying that you wouldn't clean up after shooting?  Regardless of whether or not you are reloading you should still be picking up brass to not leave a mess for others to deal with.

Shooting at R14, they tell you to leave brass if you don't want it. Shooting at an indoor range, grab a broom when your done, and a minute later it's clean. No need to pick up. Like I said earlier, my OCD makes me want to pick up my own brass only, I don't want anyone elses brass, period. Even when I mark my brass and wait till the end to pick it up, I still emd up looking for my marked brass and not picking up anyone elses, it is a major pain in the a$$, at least for me, and I don't want to do it anymore.