MartyZ

New AR .308 project

Not sure how many of you remember my SPR build from last year, but this past weekend I took it out to the range for the first time this year with my new reloads and was getting literally 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds.

So now it's time for a new build, this time in .308. I plan to get it completed by next March and am basically buying parts as I find them on sale. Planning on an Aero M5E1 builder set with BA barrel and BCG, just to make sure the Barrel and BCG match. I already ordered my first parts, Aero LPK and Luth-AR Stock on sale at primary arms, so the build begins.

I remember the issues I originally encountered with my SPR build, with the timing, which was originally fixed by replacing the carbine buffer assembly with a rifle assembly, since the barrel is a rifle length gas system. So for this build I am definitely going for a rifle buffer assembly and a rifle length barrel, in 18 inch to be specific, still need to decide if I want SS or QPQ barrel.

Also, I am seriously considering a YHM Specter 2 piece gas block to avoid issues once the brake is pinned, which will be a VG6 Gamma.

Let me know what you guys think, suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

QPQ barrels certainly have the potential for great accuracy but I think you will find more match grade offerings in stainless.  Also, while 18" should do well,I can't help but think 20" is better suited to .308, especially if you will be shooting heavier bullets that typically use slower burning powder.  Really, there will not be a tremendous difference between 18" and 20", but you are building a precision rifle so even the small differences count.

I do want this to be a precision gun but not necessarily a long range competition gun. I have a 20" barrel on my SPR and it is a bit front heavy and uncomfortable shooting off hand. The .308 barrel will be heavier already, so I want this gun to be comfortable to shoot of hand as well as off a bipod that's why I opted for an 18" barrel. But I will look into the weight difference, maybe it's negligible.

JP makes great stuff but I think you are paying more for the name than the quality.  The click adjust system on the JP may be helpful but not necessary if you have a torque screwdriver. 

I put a YHM two piece with flip up sight on a flattop M4gery, 300 rounds and not a single issue.  Obviously there's a huge difference between a bad gas block and a good one but I don't think there's that much difference between a good one and a really super duper good one. 

After doing much research I have decided to go with the JP gas block due to the single fact that it is adjustable. From what I have read, the AR-10 platform, or at least DPMS version of it, is over gassed and in many cases requires an adjustable gas block.

I opted for the JP because I want a 2 piece gb. This would allow me to make mods in the future without worying about the pinned mb. The only choices for an adjustable 2 piece gb are JP and Witt Machines. The JP is more expensive but with their rep I am assuming it's better quality.

8 minutes ago, cnk said:

I silver soldered a VG6 onto a BA barrel and luckily, the GB can still be slid off easily, but I do understand your concern. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I will definately look into the measurements.

Ok, so I know that toolcraft is the OEM BCG manufacturer for the military as well as many name brands out there today. I found a toolcraft (no name brand) Nitrite .308 BCG for $169.95 on www.joeboboutfitters.com. So is it worth paying $250+ for a name brand?

I think I know the answer, just wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

Also "This BCG is 100% manufactured in the USA and covered by Toolcraft's lifetime warranty!"

Edit: $112.99 on www.monmouthreloading.com

You might pay more if you want lightened or some other feature that requires better materials or more machine time/labor. Outside of that, if going for accuracy, you usually want the barrel extension headspaced to the specific bolt you will be using in the rifle. If you go that route, and any bundled bolt is basically at best spare parts, I'd shop in that context. and go with something basic but functional like you have suggested. 

I ordered all the parts, and everything in coming in, I was actually able to save about $600 buying on sale and using promo codes ;).

So now i'm looking at glass. I currently have 2 Vortex Diamondback HPs on my other guns and am very happy with them, and my budget is within that same price range, under $400. However for this build I wand a 30mm tube with exposed turrets, neither of which the diamondback HP has. It also has to have parallax adjustment and the glass needs to be of good quality, not looking for HD but clear glass at least.

I was looking into the Vortex Viper HST as a possible choice but it exceeds my budget, cheapest I have found it is for $490. So while I was doing research, and pulling out what little hair I have left, I came across the Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD, which I can get for about $240 with promo code at optics planet.

Does anyone have experience with this scope? Is it good, just ok, or a piece of crap? Does anyone have any other suggestions that will satisfy my requirements? 

No firsthand experience with PA scopes but MAC (youtube) used that very scope in his 1000yds for $1000.00 challenge. He could not say enough about it.  I was really tempted to get one for my SPR but I made a decision to only put made in the USA components on/in it.  Were it not for that, I probably would have jumped on that scope.  I went with a Leupold MK-AR 4-12x44 with a mil dot reticle.  Vortex was also in the running for my SPR, their top of the line is world class, and so are the prices.  In the scheme of things, the Leupold scope didn't cost much more than what Vortex was offering.

So after watching a few youtube videos i ordered the PA scope from optics planet. Then after watching a few more youtube videos I called optics planet to cancel the order. But I figured since I already have them on the line I might as well ask them if they had any special deals on vortex. Well, I was very surprised, I got the $569 Viper HS-T 4-16x44 for $432 flat.

If anyone is in the market for this scope give optics planet a call now!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MartyZ said:

So after watching a few youtube videos i ordered the PA scope from optics planet. Then after watching a few more youtube videos I called optics planet to cancel the order. But I figured since I already have them on the line I might as well ask them if they had any special deals on vortex. Well, I was very surprised, I got the $569 Viper HS-T 4-16x44 for $432 flat.

If anyone is in the market for this scope give optics planet a call now!

I love optics planet.. and got my brake from them with a code.

now a ?

is that glass a ffp or an sfp?

Well, it's finally done.

Final build list:

Aero Precision M5E1 15" MLOK build kit in their Northern Lights camo pattern

Aero Precision LPK

Ballistics Advantage 18" mid-length government profile SS .308 barrel

VG6 gamna MB

Toolcraft black nitrite BCG

JP Enterprises 2 piece adjustable gas block

Ergo pistal grip

Luth-AR stock

BCM gunfighter mod 3 CH

Magpul offset BUIS

Aero Precision acope mount

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 scope

Hoping to get out to the range within the next few weeks

20171106_210235_zpsnsuxpauq.jpg

20171106_210301_zpstpb8os73.jpg

20171106_210442_zpsihsbiolx.jpg

• Like 4

Finally took it out to the range on Sunday, all I can say is WOW. Took me 7 rounds to adjust the gas block from fully closed to perfectly timed following JPs instructions. From that point on it ran flawlessly for another 80 rounds. Also, once zeroed at 100 yds, got 1 MOA groups using cheap PMC 147gr ammo. I think I am liking this gun a lot better then the SPR I built last year.

Also, the VG6 MB is amazing, almost no recoil or muzzle rise. I think I will put a VG6 on my savage bolt action also.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MartyZ said:

once zeroed at 100 yds, got 1 MOA groups using cheap PMC 147gr ammo.

1 MOA???  what kind of BS is that!  You can do better.  Start from scratch, I'll tell ya what, I'll take that heap off your hands for half what you put into it.  You deserve a sub MOA rifle.

• Like 1