jm1827

Looking for a new 4 legged family member!

43 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

We had to put our Chesapeake Bay Retriever down back in July due to a very aggressive cancer and are just now starting to look for a new family dog.  Of course the kids want a puppy.

If anyone has any leads on a young dog/puppy please let me know.  We are open to Labs, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and of course rescues.

We live in Central Jersey, near exit 8 on the NJTP.

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Icewind Goldens on the web. The dogs are expensive but the Sire and Dam have undergone complete genetic testing etc and they make all the documentation available to you together with their health history etc. After we lost our second Golden to cancer in June, we purchased a female 2 mo old English Cream Color Golden Retriever from them. So far, so good. Our experience with them is excellent. Also, they are the only breeder that I am aware of that offers a long term replacement guarantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/local/somerset-county/2014/09/03/four-day-dog-show-bridgewater/15038381/?cookies=&from=global

This will be a good place to meet allot of dog breeders from the area. I'll be there on Saturday to meet a Vizsla breeder that I will probably be getting a dog from in the next year. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SJG said:

Check out Icewind Goldens on the web. The dogs are expensive but the Sire and Dam have undergone complete genetic testing etc and they make all the documentation available to you together with their health history etc. After we lost our second Golden to cancer in June, we purchased a female 2 mo old English Cream Color Golden Retriever from them. So far, so good. Our experience with them is excellent. Also, they are the only breeder that I am aware of that offers a long term replacement guarantee.

Thanks, SJG, unfortunately expensive dogs are out, at least for now.  We still have a whopper of a bill (over $20K) for our last dog's cancer surgeries and treatments.  Hopefully we can find a more affordable option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JayWilling said:

We rescued from 11th Hour Rescue back in April. They have space in the Rockaway Mall where you can meet and greet with the pups and they have  a pretty good profile on the dogs on their website. It's worth a look.

We went to a similar rescue at the Freehold mall and they didn't have any dogs.  We will keep looking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jm1827 said:

We went to a similar rescue at the Freehold mall and they didn't have any dogs.  We will keep looking!

Go to their website. They have photos of all the dogs in-house and upcoming, along with personality assessments, how good they are with kids, other pets, etc. (still...buyer beware). It's a pretty good way to look without driving around for starters. We (my wife) picked a 2 year old Treeing Walker Coon Hound who is sweet as can be but pretty skittish. We had a fair idea on his problems, so I can't say they fooled us. They were pretty accurate on descriptions.  PLUS the website has a lot more dogs than what they might have  at the mall on any given day.

Sorry for your loss. The pups are tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We went to a similar rescue at the Freehold mall and they didn't have any dogs.  We will keep looking!


If Freehold is local to you, SPCA in Eatontown on Wall Street. There is also the Associated Humane Society on Shafto Road in Tinton Falls.

The Freehold mall location is nice, but they are very limited in what they hold, and usually go very quickly. They also only do puppies, as you cannot allow the dog to walk in the mall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 9:03 AM, jm1827 said:

Hi Everyone,

We had to put our Chesapeake Bay Retriever down back in July due to a very aggressive cancer and are just now starting to look for a new family dog.  Of course the kids want a puppy.

If anyone has any leads on a young dog/puppy please let me know.  We are open to Labs, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and of course rescues.

We live in Central Jersey, near exit 8 on the NJTP.

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

Hard and tuff on the Rescue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JM,

just checking out Happy Paws adoptable animals and then they have this 16 month old Labrador looking for a home:

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37252337

says he's good with kids and there is a video on the link with him playing with a  young kid chasing bubbles. Pretty cute video :)

Thought you might like to take a look.

-Jim

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

Hi JM,

just checking out Happy Paws adoptable animals and then they have this 16 month old Labrador looking for a home:

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/37252337

says he's good with kids and there is a video on the link with him playing with a  young kid chasing bubbles. Pretty cute video :)

Thought you might like to take a look.

-Jim

 

HI Jim- thanks I will definitely check it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of side with the SPCA or Humane Society... private rescues can be a pain in the balls to deal with.

My girlfriend works with horses, and was looking for a dog that would be at the barn with her. Private rescues... "a dog needs a small fenced in area for play." At that time, she was working at an all girls high school, which had a large equitation program... so a large barn and 50+ acres of fields. That is unacceptable to them. Prior to us meeting, I was trying to adopt from Puppy Love; they do things at Petsmart. My previous dog was an outside dog... hated going inside. The girl I talked to made me out to be a scumbag because I didn't force the dog to be an inside dog. I told her if the dog wants to spend time outside, she would go outside for as long as she wants. "How does the dog know what's best for her?"

In regards to that rescue, their foster homes are very good people, but the people making decisions are very shortsighted. They turn people away that would make good owners, because they have very high standards for dog ownership. It is a sample size of one (two if you count the Maryland one with my girlfriend; she took a dog from a friend that brought him back from the Virgin Islands), but reason why I still suggest the SPCA. The adoption costs are usually cheaper, as well.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't go into detail publically but Id recomend doing your research on any breeder OR rescue before adopting. I've seen adoption horror story's first hand. Even from one of the rescues listed in this very thread. 

We all know why you should research a dog breeder buy many fail to realize that there are allot of scummy rescue groups out there too. 

Many will "rescue" all the older dogs that  dont get sold froma pet store that buys from puppy mills. This practice supports puppy mills not discourages them. The puppymill will now fill all those empty cages. 

Other "rescues" import dogs from the carribeian. Often times these dogs fail a proper behavioral exam but get passed anyway because the group does not want to euthanize because that has to be reported to the state each year and is info available to the public. High euthanasia rates look bad for rescue groups. 

Regarding Texas dogs, personally I'd hold off on adopting any of them for a few weeks at least. There are many stories of people who were separated from their dogs during Katrina (not people who abandoned their dogs, they should not get their dogs back) and there dogs were adopted out in other states and no attempt to locate the original owner. I personally scanned a Katrina rescue dog that had a microchip from Louisiana and New Jersey. The Louisiana owners were the original owners and really wanted their dog back and we're pissed to find that it was adopted out to another person in living in New Jersey. The dog hot scared and jumped out of the rescue boat. 

Just some food for thought

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breed specific rescues are a really good option.  After losing both of my Australian Cattle Dogs (17yrs and 15yrs) in the past two years we found our new ACD through an ACD rescue.  He is about three years old.  I was hesitant at first, but I have to say that the is the easiest dog I have ever had.  No puppy stage to go through.  Overall a great dog.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Breed specific rescues are a really good option.  After losing both of my Australian Cattle Dogs (17yrs and 15yrs) in the past two years we found our new ACD through an ACD rescue.  He is about three years old.  I was hesitant at first, but I have to say that the is the easiest dog I have ever had.  No puppy stage to go through.  Overall a great dog.  

First person I've ever heard refer to an Australian cattle dog as an easy dog to have.......lmao

I had one for 13 years before cancer got him. Best and worst dog I ever owned all wrapped up into one "to smart for his own good package" lol. Man he was a good dog but way to smart, he figured how to get into anything and everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 2:07 PM, JayWilling said:

We rescued from 11th Hour Rescue back in April. They have space in the Rockaway Mall where you can meet and greet with the pups and they have  a pretty good profile on the dogs on their website. It's worth a look.

unless u dont have a completely fenced in yard, then ur treated like a 2nd class citizen.

 

i had my heart set on a $3K working East German Shepard, but decided on a rescue instead.

here is Remy aka Remington!

21319204_10155632643479254_2858032345928

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update- my wife hit some of the local shelters and didn't find anything yet.  I tried some Chesapeake Bay retriever rescue sites and nothing yet as well.

Still looking but made contact from an outfit called CARE NJ, they may have some leads.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now