Sign in to follow this  
gfl216

Ouestion On Hunting License

I've asked a few people from Fish and Wildlife and got a different answer every time.

I completed the hunters education course back in 1985 but I haven't hunted in over 20 years. If I wanted to get a hunting license is my card stating that I passed still good or would I have to go through the course again? The card that I have has no expiration date on it.

When is the hunting license good from. From what month to what month or is it a calendar year?

All hunting licenses in NJ are good from January 1st - December 30th.

Rifle permits & NJ waterfowl stamps, are good from June 30th to the following June 30th.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

And yes your card is still good, bring it with you to any licensing agency in the state, and they will issue you a license, along with a Conservation ID number, that will be on all your hunting and fishing licenses for life. Once you're in the system, you won't need to bring your card back with you the following year. You can just give them your SS# or your CID#, and they can see what licenses you're eligible for at the counter. And once you're in the system you can just buy your license online, and print it out every year afterwards. Saves a trip to the store.

Thanks to all who responded.

I picked up a license at Pineland Sporting Goods today.

The funny part of the whole thing is that the guy from Fish and Wildlife who acted like he knew it all was the guy who knew the least. Everything he told me was wrong.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

Thanks to all who responded.

I picked up a license at Pineland Sporting Goods today.

The funny part of the whole thing is that the guy from Fish and Wildlife who acted like he knew it all was the guy who knew the least. Everything he told me was wrong.

No surprises there.  Always ask here, first!

Hi, quick question: 

Im taking my bow hunting field walk, range time & written exam.  

What can I expect? Is it 4 hours? 6 hours? Realistically does this take that long?

any advice on this?

Edited by Hndcnn
Typo

Did you do the online test part or are you filling out the packet?  If you did the online part you basically can skip the field walk and go straight to the field test.

If you did the packet and have to take the actual test, expect to take a few hours.

Thanks Krdshrk: I printed & read the Hunter Ed Study Guide, filled out the Hime Study Workbook & signed up for this Sat Education Course @ Cherry Ridge.   

So, if I pay for the online test, I can just skip everything and go shoot my 3/5 arrows qualification? 

Do you have the website for this? 

Thanks 

HNDCNN

https://www.huntercourse.com/usa/newjersey/

I took this course (wait on the page - it'll give you a coupon or something to get you down to $25) and then went and shot my shotgun and crossbow for the practical quals.  I'm not sure how they'll do it at CR but they may let you skip the field walk (I did as it was snowy/rainy/cold).

You still have to take a written test when you get there, as well as shoot. The online test, only eliminates the walk through. The length of time it takes, all depends on how many people show up to take the test. Smaller the group the quicker it goes. This time of year it's usually packed. Lots of kids have birthdays in the fall, and dad wants to get them their license before pheasant season starts.

To me the walk through is the quickest and easiest part. Only takes about 20 minutes. I would just fill out the workbook at home, and take the entire class there. Saves money too. It's completely free if you do it that way.

1 hour ago, DeerSlayer said:

You still have to take a written test when you get there, as well as shoot. The online test, only eliminates the walk through. The length of time it takes, all depends on how many people show up to take the test. Smaller the group the quicker it goes. This time of year it's usually packed. Lots of kids have birthdays in the fall, and dad wants to get them their license before pheasant season starts.

To me the walk through is the quickest and easiest part. Only takes about 20 minutes. I would just fill out the workbook at home, and take the entire class there. Saves money too. It's completely free if you do it that way.

Oh that's right - I remember now - I did have to take the test...  Duh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeerSlayer said:

Agree- the walk through is really the best part, some good basic instruction and dialog if you get a good instructor.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.   

I did take the online hunting course.   At some point a pop up appeared offering -$5 off the course.  

I finished it all but Im not going to pay for it if it only skips the field walk through.  It makes sense that they will make me take a test and then the shooting proficiency.  

I'll get there early to be first in line and get this done. 

Thanks again everyone

HNDCNN