Sign in to follow this  
FishNHard

Blue loctite ?

Mounting a vortex scope on my ba stealth , do you guys use any blue Loctite or do you just torque it , John

Both.....torque it to spec...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I use locktite on the screws mounting the scope base to the gun.  Those are very small and you can't really get much torque without risking stripping the threads.   I don't locktite the screws that mount the scope. 

May not be right but it's what I do.

I use locktite on the screws mounting the scope base to the gun.  Those are very small and you can't really get much torque without risking stripping the threads.   I don't locktite the screws that mount the scope. 
May not be right but it's what I do.

Most mounts have torque specs for screws... usually inch/pounds. The way you don't strip the threads is using a torque driver, to the right spec.

Put blue Loctite on the threads, torque, then good to go. Don't do red, blue is good enough for most firearm purposes.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I got a Husky one from Home Depot. Craftsmen from Sears is another option... which I have a larger one for automotive stuff.

Wouldn't by a no-name brand.

Just make sure its INCH POUNDS.  Most of the sears/hd stuff is auto repair for torque in ft lbs.

5 hours ago, bhunted said:

This is what I use. Works very well.
Wheeler Firearms Accurizing Torque Wrench https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012AXR4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_T09Pzb96D2MHD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very recently purchased this torque wrench. I plan to use it this weekend when I mount my scope to my new Ruger Precision Rifle.  I am confident I will be happy with this torque wrench.  Ironically, I have used ft/lbs torque wrenches for automotive work for the last 40+ years but never owned an inch/lbs one.  Better late than never.  It will also help if I ever buy an RMR for my Glock 34 MOS.

• Like 1

I remember someone pointing out not to use loctite on polymer, only metal to metal. Said it was on the package warnings. Anyone know why?
Loctite doesn't work on metal-to-plastic. It's only for metal-to-metal. If you need metal-to-plastic, you can use a drop of CA glue (crazy glue) That's what is used on my RC helicopters and cars if it's really needed. Otherwise, the friction from the plastic on the screw should be enough to hold it.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The manufacturer's recommended torque doesn't guarantee the screws can't work themselves loose.  Torquing the screws is good practice but adding a drop of locktite isn't going to cause any problems and it might prevent some.

30 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Actually, Purple Loc-Tite is better suited for most firearms applications.

I thought purple was for hydraulic fitting threads. Thicker than blue or read - almost a gel.

I remember someone pointing out not to use loctite on polymer, only metal to metal. Said it was on the package warnings. Anyone know why?

Loctite is a brand of adhesives... and there are multiple types.

The black 380 Loctite bonds metal and polymer. Commonly used on the "castle nut" on the KelTec SUB-2000.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, maintenanceguy said:

I thought purple was for hydraulic fitting threads. Thicker than blue or read - almost a gel.

It is for fine threads and is less tenacious than blue.