InFamous

Gas Prices.

21 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Lukoil was $3.38 a gallon cash/$3.48 credit on RT 10 in Randolph last night. It amazes me how they stay in business.

Yeah no way in hell I'd be stopping there. LOL

45 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

What ever happened to vehicles running on water.  Cumbustion engines running off the by products of h20.  Big money shot that down?   

No, thermodynamics shot that down.  

• Like 3

with adjustments, you could most likely get your vehicle to run on water....but you'd be having to break the water down, and seperate the hydrogen, and burn that......i think there's been a couple guys that've done that.

In fantasy land they have vehicles that run on water. If anyone could make it work they would likely meet an untimely death, but if they did bring it to market they would be a multi billionaire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, capt14k said:

In fantasy land they have vehicles that run on water. If anyone could make it work they would likely meet an untimely death, but if they did bring it to market they would be a multi billionaire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hydrogen. you get it from water. the byproduct of hydrogen in an internal combustion engine is.....water

• Like 1

there's also this......

A new hydrogen refueling station supplied by the Danish company H2 Logic will be installed just outside Oslo, Norway in summer 2011 as part of Norway’s “hydrogen highway“. Together with another planned Oslo hydrogen station in 2011, this means Norway will have one of the world’s densest hydrogen refueling networks.

Hydrogen is produced by splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is compressed and stored in the vehicle. Most hydrogen vehicles react hydrogen with oxygen in a fuel cell to run electric motors. So effectively a fuel-cell vehicle is a form of electric vehicle.

Pike Research predicts that 37 percent of the 2.8 million fuel-cell vehicles sold by 2020 will be in Western Europe, 36 percent will be in the Asia-Pacific region and just 25 percent will be in North America. Several major automakers have recently announced their intentions to get fuel-cell models into showrooms by 2015.

https://venturebeat.com/2010/11/26/hydrogen-refueling-ramps-up-in-norway/

12 minutes ago, capt14k said:

That's a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. Not a vehicle that runs on water.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

it powers the electric motor through the fuel cell. the hydrogen reacts with oxygen to create the power. so...yea. it runs essentially on water

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

with adjustments, you could most likely get your vehicle to run on water....but you'd be having to break the water down, and seperate the hydrogen, and burn that......i think there's been a couple guys that've done that.

Can't be done, well let me correct that, can't be done economically - as it takes more energy to break the water molecule apart than you would get by burning the hydrogen.  Those pesky laws of physics at work.  

Fuel cells typically use hydrogen that is a byproduct of other chemical reaction, not from the dissociation of water.

27 minutes ago, Howard said:

Can't be done, well let me correct that, can't be done economically - as it takes more energy to break the water molecule apart than you would get by burning the hydrogen.  Those pesky laws of physics at work.  

Fuel cells typically use hydrogen that is a byproduct of other chemical reaction, not from the dissociation of water.

that right there is the key. but we're not talking if it's economical or not...just if it can be done.

also.....the hydrogen highway in norway...they've got 2 refueling stations in oslo that produce their hydrogen by electrolysis. powered by the sun i think. also lillistrom? i think it is by electrolysis and other means. and one that uses hydrogen that is a byproduct of making chlorine.

even with me arguing for this......i've pretty much always said that there's nothing out therre that'll give us the bang for the buck that oil does. thankfully, oil's not the limited resource that we've been lied to saying it is.

that right there is the key. but we're not talking if it's economical or not...just if it can be done.

also.....the hydrogen highway in norway...they've got 2 refueling stations in oslo that produce their hydrogen by electrolysis. powered by the sun i think. also lillistrom? i think it is by electrolysis and other means. and one that uses hydrogen that is a byproduct of making chlorine.

even with me arguing for this......i've pretty much always said that there's nothing out therre that'll give us the bang for the buck that oil does. thankfully, oil's not the limited resource that we've been lied to saying it is.

Many many moons ago I was a process engineer at a Chloralkali plant that as you correctly stated yields hydrogen while producing chlorine. We sold as much of that hydrogen as possible for its value as a chemical, only as last resort did we burn it in our boilers as a fuel as it is much more valuable as a chemical.

1 hour ago, Nickjc said:

We dwell so much in oil reserves and oil in the ground - yet without refining you really have no go go juice....

It is beyond amazing to me how when I was just discussing this with someone how they cannot see how perilous our entire system is.  All interconnected webs that one tear or fault upsets the entire chain.

I read somewhere that we haven't built a new refinery in like 15 years or so.....wow.

No redundancy. .....  imagine *if* - they go offline permanently or for longer than a month or so.....

The lack of fuel or availability of same on a consistent basis - creates a negative cascade effect that jeopardizes our entire existence 

also bear in mind, that although most gas stations have capacity to hold upwards of 22,000 gallons in their underground tanks.....most carry less than 10,000 on hand. the station out front lasted only THREE days without refilling with NORMAL business. imagine that in panic mode.

2 hours ago, Nickjc said:

We dwell so much in oil reserves and oil in the ground - yet without refining you really have no go go juice....

It is beyond amazing to me how when I was just discussing this with someone how they cannot see how perilous our entire system is.  All interconnected webs that one tear or fault upsets the entire chain.

I read somewhere that we haven't built a new refinery in like 15 years or so.....wow.

No redundancy. .....  imagine *if* - they go offline permanently or for longer than a month or so.....

The lack of fuel or availability of same on a consistent basis - creates a negative cascade effect that jeopardizes our entire existence 

While true that we have not build new refineries in years, and have closed many small ones, there have been huge improvements and major capacity expansions at existing locations.  Total capacity and reliability is up.  But yes, they are not disperse and the majority are in the gulf - that is due to economics.  Refining is not the only thing that has fine tuned the supply chain, look at the automotive industry.  You can have a tiny parts company fail and it will shut production lines down at major auto producers these days as it may be the only supplier of a specific part and they carry almost no inventory.

25 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

also bear in mind, that although most gas stations have capacity to hold upwards of 22,000 gallons in their underground tanks.....most carry less than 10,000 on hand. the station out front lasted only THREE days without refilling with NORMAL business. imagine that in panic mode.

It depends on the volume the station does.  I was talking to an attendant at Costco a few months back and asking why there is almost always a tanker truck parked there.  He explained they sit waiting to fill the tanks as they go through about five tankers worth of gas each day.  Now THAT is a high volume station.  I would imagine some on the Turnpike do similar type volumes with constant deliveries.