siderman

Hey Landscapers-planters

Just now, Oakridgefirearms said:

Barberry is one plant I've never seen deer eat...............

That and silk flowers.  But theres still time for that.    Also.  Pieris. Dwarf albertas.  Osmanthus. Leucothoe. St johns wort. Some ilex microphillia. Boxwood all varieties.  Deutzia.  Gold mop. Nandina.  These are some that are deer free. 

Just now, Golf battery said:

That and silk flowers.  But theres still time for that.    Also.  Pieris. Dwarf albertas.  Osmanthus. Leucothoe. St johns wort. Some ilex microphillia. Boxwood all varieties.  Deutzia.  Gold mop. Nandina.  These are some that are deer free. 

I've seen deer eat Pieris, Leucothoe, Buxus, Gold Mops (not spelling one out that in Latin, LOL), and probably every variety of Ilex. Not completely stripped, but in extremely bad deer areas during a really bad winter, they'll eat them out of desperation.

Also seen them eat Colorado Blue Spruce.

1 hour ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

Barberry is one plant I've never seen deer eat...............

Don't think I've seen pyracantha gnawed on either.  My dad planted that under my sisters window.  Kept away all kinds of animals.

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Don't think I've seen pyracantha gnawed on either.  My dad planted that under my sisters window.  Kept away all kinds of animals.

That's probably a good idea, my daughter is only 6 but I need to start my plantings ahead of her teenage years.............

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, Oakridgefirearms said:

I've seen deer eat Pieris, Leucothoe, Buxus, Gold Mops (not spelling one out that in Latin, LOL), and probably every variety of Ilex. Not completely stripped, but in extremely bad deer areas during a really bad winter, they'll eat them out of desperation.

Also seen them eat Colorado Blue Spruce.

There is no way the deer have eaten pieris or leucothoe or even browsed on them.  Impossible.  I need pics.  Impossible 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:27 PM, Golf battery said:

There is no way the deer have eaten pieris or leucothoe or even browsed on them.  Impossible.  I need pics.  Impossible 

This was years ago in Mendham and Morris Township over the winter before they started with limited hunts to control the deer population in those areas. And before every cell phone had a camera, so SOL on the pics. If I see it again I'll make sure to take pics and send them to Michael Dirr so it can be forever documented in the "plant bible" LOL.

This thread has been fun.  I grew up on a wholesale nursery and worked on the family farm weekends, evenings, and summers.  I know the names of most of the shrubs found in landscapes - but only the Latin names.  Pretty useless information. 

Try going to Home Depot and asking if they have any Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'.  They just look at you stupid. 

On 9/17/2017 at 0:27 PM, Golf battery said:

Is he still alive!?  

As far as I know........

On 9/17/2017 at 8:03 PM, maintenanceguy said:

Try going to Home Depot and asking if they have any Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'.  They just look at you stupid. 

That would be the last place I would go to buy plants

• Like 1

well once again my lack of patience (impatiens?) took over and Sunday I called my neighbor over, who happens to have a small trackhoe....and we ripped out 60' of old mangy privot hedge, some huge tree roots from a 90' spruce I took out a few months back and dug a relocated 40' foot trench. Hello Green Giants!  coming later this week. And a new front lawn that is now a giant patch of dirt. My back and feet hurt, the dogs are covered in dirt and my wife is just shaking her head......I forgot to tell her.....we got yelled at when she came back from shopping for doing it on a Sunday lol. did I mention I hurt?

2 hours ago, siderman said:

well once again my lack of patience (impatiens?) took over and Sunday I called my neighbor over, who happens to have a small trackhoe....and we ripped out 60' of old mangy privot hedge, some huge tree roots from a 90' spruce I took out a few months back and dug a relocated 40' foot trench. Hello Green Giants!  coming later this week. And a new front lawn that is now a giant patch of dirt. My back and feet hurt, the dogs are covered in dirt and my wife is just shaking her head......I forgot to tell her.....we got yelled at when she came back from shopping for doing it on a Sunday lol. did I mention I hurt?

When you need them let me know.  For a price. 

Most of the plants from our north east area aregrown by hopewell nurseries. Insouth jersey.  Theyre taking over alot of smaller growers there.  Thats ok though. They supply the home depots in and around our nj area. Good for them.  They really dont affect our pricepoint around here. 

On 9/19/2017 at 10:32 PM, Golf battery said:

Most of the plants from our north east area aregrown by hopewell nurseries. Insouth jersey.  Theyre taking over alot of smaller growers there.  Thats ok though. They supply the home depots in and around our nj area. Good for them.  They really dont affect our pricepoint around here. 

Didn't Hines go into bankruptcy selling to Home Depot? They were paid per scan and and any plants returned by customers were charged back. If anyone ever wondered why Home Depot never cared why someone returned a dead plant it was because they weren't the ones taking the loss. Why any company would agree to those terms - particularly when selling plants that customers don't water - is beyond me.

• Like 1

You got it spot on.  Ive seen full semi loads coming back to hopewell with expired plants. And they eat it.  The margins are stupid small.  Theres a long story to it but yes greed wins.  This is the stupid f'n world we live in.  Big business controls our livelyhood. 

16 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

You got it spot on.  Ive seen full semi loads coming back to hopewell with expired plants. And they eat it.  The margins are stupid small.  Theres a long story to it but yes greed wins.  This is the stupid f'n world we live in.  Big business controls our livelyhood. 

Are they even making any money doing those deals? I would think they'd do better selling to regular nurseries