NJGF

Refinishing A New CMP Boyd Stock

I have a CMP M1 Garand that came with a new Boyd Stock. I disassembled the stock and can see in the hidden areas that the stock was stained.

Does anyone know if they also applied any finish on top of the stain and if so what type of finish it is?

To my completely untrained eye it looks like stained raw wood but it would be great to get some expert opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

I received a Boyds stock on an M1 from the CMP years ago.  I hate that stock.  It was stained with a walnut stain and had no finish on top.  The wood grain was raised from the stain.  The worst part is the stock was birch with a shitty walnut stain job, not what I wanted.

I sanded the stain off and used raw linseed oil. I ended up buying a surplus walnut stock set.

• Like 1

I just got an FN-49, very much like an M-1 as far as the stock goes, upper handguards and such. I discovered the stock and guards are made from beech, and then stained walnut. Century Arms brought in a lot of FN-49 Egyptians and replaced broken stocks with beech then stained them walnut. It does not look all that bad, but I'm one of those who prefer to have what the rifle's manufacture fitted them with. Finding walnut for an FN-49 so far is proving to be impossible, so I am probably going to have to live with what I've got. From reading this thread, it sounds like CMP was Century's supplier. The stock is well made, and beech is as strong and about the same weight as walnut, but still…….