NJGF

Refinishing A New CMP Boyd Stock

I have a CMP M1 Garand that came with a new Boyd Stock. I disassembled the stock and can see in the hidden areas that the stock was stained.

Does anyone know if they also applied any finish on top of the stain and if so what type of finish it is?

To my completely untrained eye it looks like stained raw wood but it would be great to get some expert opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.

I received a Boyds stock on an M1 from the CMP years ago.  I hate that stock.  It was stained with a walnut stain and had no finish on top.  The wood grain was raised from the stain.  The worst part is the stock was birch with a shitty walnut stain job, not what I wanted.

I sanded the stain off and used raw linseed oil. I ended up buying a surplus walnut stock set.

• Like 1

I just got an FN-49, very much like an M-1 as far as the stock goes, upper handguards and such. I discovered the stock and guards are made from beech, and then stained walnut. Century Arms brought in a lot of FN-49 Egyptians and replaced broken stocks with beech then stained them walnut. It does not look all that bad, but I'm one of those who prefer to have what the rifle's manufacture fitted them with. Finding walnut for an FN-49 so far is proving to be impossible, so I am probably going to have to live with what I've got. From reading this thread, it sounds like CMP was Century's supplier. The stock is well made, and beech is as strong and about the same weight as walnut, but still…….

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By NJGF
      Great news. I received an email from CMP that they received my order for a Garand. They are saying it will be at least 30-60 days. I can wait. At least I got it in before the deadline. The order was received 05/16 (the last date for orders) so I will probably get one of the last ones they build (until they open it up again). I have to pickup some ammo now.
    • By WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
      Was stored in an attic for unknown number of years, but cleaned up rather nicely.  Did not pass through CMP/DCM per their records.  

• By WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
      Looking at a potential purchase but need a second opinion.  I'm a Garand noob.

Thanks in advance, David
    • By Nucrunner
      Any chance of opening a conversation on the M1 Garand?
      I’ve been looking at a couple in a LGS, I’m interested in owning one as a shooter (keeping in mind that any M1 Garand will have historical value).
      My intention is to use it as a shooter, I’d like to compete in 300 yard shoots at my range.
      The shop has 4, (I am told) they are all collector grade.
      Two Springfield’s with serial numbers in the 35xxxx... range and two H&R’s in the 56xxx...
      The SA’s are a bit lower in price, one of them has the arrangement for the grenade launcher (the medallion is attached to the stock, the launcher apparatus is separate). (I’ve already decided that since my primary reason to own one is as a shooter, that I would not get the one with the grenade launcher).
      All four have the circled P armory stamps, the H&R’s have the eagle with the stars cartouche stamps.
      The actions on all of them are smooth, all barrels are stamped as made in the early to mid 50’s, wood is nice all of them (the H&R’s are darker).  
      I know and trust the LGS owner, he has assured me that the throat erosion (<2 I believe he said)) along with the “collector grade” assure me that any of these four will make a good “shooter” and hold value.
      I’m pretty sure I’m going to “pull the trigger” on this Monday, any comments or suggestions…?
      Thanks,
    • They are coming for your weapons of war.  They definitely look like weapons of war.  Not at all for eating meat, since everyone's eating worms and grubs in that dystopian utopia.
    • Up for sale a Ruger Mini 14 Tactical with a Nikon 1.5-4.5 X 20 scope mounted in traditional scope rings. Item will include the following: 2-Ruger Factory 5 round magazines 4-Ruger Factory 10 round magazines. 1-Factory Bolt/Chamber Lock 1-Picatinny Rail used as an optional scope mount. 1-Basic sling (as seen in photo). Asking price: $800 for all items/$700 without the scope. Located in Woodbridge Township. Willing to meet buyer anywhere in the state as long as my schedule permits. NJ FID and Matching Drivers License required to complete sale. Buyer is responsible for all FFL/Shipping fees. The first to post "I'll Take It" wins the sale.  
    • Hello everyone. I'm listing my Henry Steel Boy in 357 Magnum up for sale today. It's the older model without the side loading gate. I'm asking for $700 for the rifle. I'm located in Woodbridge Township and am willing to accommodate any buyer, distance wise, as long as it works for my schedule. An NJ FID and matching DL are required to complete the sale and  all FFL/shipping fees are the buyers responsibility. The first to post "I'll Take It" wins the sale. Additional Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/lNDPdZg