Zeke

Irma?

Yes, has been for a while.  Supposedly, it could move through the gulf, bank to the right and move out to sea or take a track up the east coast.  I must admit this one has me a bit uncomfortable to say the least.  This is the first summer since Sandy that had most businesses down here on the boardwalk up and running.  The beach replenishment is only half done so there are large gaps with between town beaches with no dunes - read no protection.

• Like 1

Definitely down here in FL it is!  

We'll see how it goes, but I see people down here making preparations.   Fueling up, buying water generators and fuel for them, etc. Bad week to do it as it's also Labor day weekend and prices are higher for that reason.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about Irma for another week. Doesn't mean I may have or may not have purchased $100 of emergency food and going to go get a few cases of water tomorrow. Along with some extra cases of beer before next weekend :p

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, InFamous said:

I'm not worried about Irma for another week. Doesn't mean I may have or may not have purchased $100 of emergency food and going to go get a few cases of water tomorrow. Along with some extra cases of beer before next weekend :p

Ergo, you are

It's 20-25 year shelf life...and water is water, it'll get used eventually. I don't have any on hand and I should...doesn't mean Irma is shit. :p

Also, I just want to make sure if the local beer store closes down for a few days that I have beer. SHEESH! Who the hell wants to run out of beer!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, InFamous said:

It's 20-25 year shelf life...and water is water, it'll get used eventually. I don't have any on hand and I should...doesn't mean Irma is shit. :p

Also, I just want to make sure if the local beer store closes down for a few days that I have beer. SHEESH! Who the hell wants to run out of beer!

Little early... I'd wait till right before landfall..

Just now, Zeke said:

Little early... I'd wait till right before landfall..

Are you talking about the beer, or the food and water that'll last 20-25 years...either argument you're making is irrelevant considering it'll all get used before it goes bad. Especially the beer. Also, the food you have to order and get delivered so I couldn't wait. The water I'd like to buy cheap, the beer I'm just scared to run out of :o

• Like 1

Just now, InFamous said:

Are you talking about the beer, or the food and water that'll last 20-25 years...either argument you're making is irrelevant considering it'll all get used before it goes bad. Especially the beer. Also, the food you have to order and get delivered so I couldn't wait. The water I'd like to buy cheap, the beer I'm just scared to run out of :o

Beer bro! Duh

11 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Definitely watching it - Looking out for good deals on a Generator right now actually.

Nick,  this Harbor Freight generator is highly rated by Consumer Reports.  Get a battery and wheel kit and it will be more portable and have electric start. Right now it's on sale for $529 with the coupon. That's about as low as it goes for this one.

If anyone needs the coupon, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Predator Generator

• Like 2

I am mostly ready for whatever comes our way.  Have been so since after Hurricane Sandy. Generators tested monthly, minimum of 10 gals gas on hand, emergency food(Wise), first aid supplies, flashlights, and two sets of batteries for every flashlight, smoke detector, and co detector in the house, and so on....

If it becomes a threat, I just need to get more gas, food, water, etc.

Btw, for those of you with garages that are part of your house, it is advisable to have a means to reinforce your garage door. A breach of your door due to high winds may pose a serious risk to the integrity of your house structure. I originally learned of this from a goverment website.

At the time of Hurricane Irene I purchased two 8' lengths of angled aluminum which I bolted vertically to the inside of the door. Made it much more solid.  Important to bear in mind that if you do this, the garage will no longer be an emergency exit.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Nick,  this Harbor Freight generator is highly rated by Consumer Reports.  Get a battery and wheel kit and it will be more portable and have electric start. Right now it's on sale for $529 with the coupon. That's about as low as it goes for this one.

If anyone needs the coupon, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Predator Generator

I have read good things bout this genset 

i have a honda, only 3000. Runs everything I need in the house( ng dryer, water, stove, furnace) except air conditioning. But, it runs the camper ac fine.

@Krdshrk did you make accommodations to your new homes electric to run a genset?

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 10:42 AM, JohnnyB said:

Predator Generator

$529 + 30 for the wheel kit + 40 for the battery = $599... Not too shabby - Comparing to the Costco Champion 7000W Dual Fuel (Gas / Propane) for $799 - https://www.costco.com/Champion-7000W-Running--9000W-Peak-DUAL-FUEL-Generator-wElectric-Start.product.100220385.html

Best would be Natural Gas - I have the tap already setup in the house for natural gas for a generator...  I'm not sure if the Predator can take a tri fuel kit?

On 9/3/2017 at 8:18 AM, Screwball said:

You aren't going to find a good deal on a generator with a possible hurricane coming up the coast...

Should have looked the year after Sandy.

Didn't have the house until just a month and a half ago...

The way its looking right now, I'll probably be getting hit by this beast. 

After Harvey everyone down here has been keeping a close eye on it, and thought it would hit us anyway. Hoping for a last minute shift though, but that probably won't happen. 

Didn't mean anything by it...

Simple supply/demand. After Sandy, stores stocked up on them, judging for a panic if another hurricane came close. Didn't happen, so most were heavily discounted to clear space. Now, normal stock... and people going ape-s*** to prepare. Might have to spend a few dollars more to get one.

In regards to Harbor Freight, they work... but if you are looking for a lasting investment, the better brands will be a better choice. During Sandy, we got a few from Tractor Supply... but were same ones from HF. They lasted a few years in commercial work, but little crap starts going. One is missing a muffler, due to braces breaking (screws loosened, and after Loctited, the brace broke at weld... and then someone tossed the muffler).

HF is good for cheap tools you might use once or twice... or plan to abuse them. Gloves, tarps... great source. Only tool I picked up was an ultrasonic cleaner... and paid for the warranty, so I can just swap it when it takes a dump.

I see more use with a nice portable one, which you connect with the large plug into your transfer switch... opposed to a permanent generator. More prep, including security, but if you need power somewhere when you don't want to run cords, it is a nice tool for regular life. Easier to maintain, with non-emergency uses, a portable generator is a good investment... in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

$529 + 30 for the wheel kit + 40 for the battery = $599... Not too shabby - Comparing to the Costco Champion 7000W Dual Fuel (Gas / Propane) for $799 - https://www.costco.com/Champion-7000W-Running--9000W-Peak-DUAL-FUEL-Generator-wElectric-Start.product.100220385.html

Best would be Natural Gas - I have the tap already setup in the house for natural gas for a generator...  I'm not sure if the Predator can take a tri fuel kit?

I think I looked into this

http://www.uscarb.com/

for some reason I think I emailed or called and they make a kit. Don't hold me on that

Gov. Rick Scott has declared a State of Emergency in all counties in FL, based on the current models. The cone is projected to touch the southern tip of Fl and the keys.   We'll know better in a couple of days where it's going to turn, but it's not looking good. Think I'll go stock up tomorrow.

1 hour ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Gov. Rick Scott has declared a State of Emergency in all counties in FL, based on the current models. The cone is projected to touch the southern tip of Fl and the keys.   We'll know better in a couple of days where it's going to turn, but it's not looking good. Think I'll go stock up tomorrow.

Tomorrow may be to late for a lot of stuff, I'm down here in Lee county and theres no water in the city. Lots of places are expecting shipments tomorrow, but they may not last long. All the sports drinks were starting to run low too. Luckily I'm kinda set on some stuff, so I didn't need much. Just had to finish a kit for work. If this ends of making land fall, I'll be on call with the hospital I'm at until its done.