Zeke

Irma?

I know! Damn, this is a monster. I was just looking at the various projected tracks - several of them have this hitting the keys, turning sharply northward, and traveling right up the center of Florida. Holy hell, what a lot of devastation that would be - human tolls, economic tolls - awful.

I have a friend in the Miami area - I just invited her to come stay awhile if she wants to just get away. My other friend has an 18-year old daughter who JUST started college in Gainesville a couple weeks ago. She's there with NO car... NO support network in the area, etc. Although Gainesville might seem very "north" of everything and it's not right on the coast, if Irma does go up the center of the state, that town could be impacted too. You always have to be concerned about tornados, water shortages, looting, etc. I have ZERO confidence in any university's ability to handle things correctly... I'm thinking her parents should just tell her - catch a bus or flight heading north, get as far as you can, and we'll pick you up. What do you all think? What would you do if it was your kid? 

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just listening to the radio and they said it's looking like the 1930's as far as this hurricane season goes. Apparently they had a cat 5 with 200+mph hurricane hit Florida dead on in 1935 or so and that is the benchmark for how bad it can get. Unfortunately the population of Florida is exponentially greater now so they may need to revise that if this one smashes into Florida full on at full force. 

This is some scary stuff. I am betting the moon being close to the earth is causing all sorts of tidal effects and making these storms worse... I haven't heard anyone asking about that yet though so no idea on it for sure...

-Jim

.22 LR is Wampum.  Jeff Cooper is right again!

Make sure you have grill gas to cook for the neighborhood Hurricane Party when the electric freezer runs out of juice :) .

My Hog Hunt piggy cut-up in the freezer will feed us for at least a week!

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I know! Damn, this is a monster. I was just looking at the various projected tracks - several of them have this hitting the keys, turning sharply northward, and traveling right up the center of Florida. Holy hell, what a lot of devastation that would be - human tolls, economic tolls - awful.

I have a friend in the Miami area - I just invited her to come stay awhile if she wants to just get away. My other friend has an 18-year old daughter who JUST started college in Gainesville a couple weeks ago. She's there with NO car... NO support network in the area, etc. Although Gainesville might seem very "north" of everything and it's not right on the coast, if Irma does go up the center of the state, that town could be impacted too. You always have to be concerned about tornados, water shortages, looting, etc. I have ZERO confidence in any university's ability to handle things correctly... I'm thinking her parents should just tell her - catch a bus or flight heading north, get as far as you can, and we'll pick you up. What do you all think? What would you do if it was your kid? 

I'd tell her to stock up on beer; condoms; pop tarts; and ramien thoupe 

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

I'd tell her to stock up on beer; condoms; pop tarts; and ramien thoupe 

Beer? Condoms? Her parents would HANG me from my fingernails for that advice. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I would buy a water purification kit. I always have a couple on hand in my disaster kit and BOB. 

Now that's advice I can give... and not get in trouble! :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I would buy a water purification kit. I always have a couple on hand in my disaster kit and BOB. 

Water?  I don't need no stinkin water, I've got 33,000 gallons of lightly chlorinated water.  It comes complete with a filtration and heating system :)

28 minutes ago, Howard said:

Water?  I don't need no stinkin water, I've got 33,000 gallons of lightly chlorinated water.  It comes complete with a filtration and heating system :)

That's what everyone who had a pool in Houston thought. Also my life straw is quite a bit cheaper than a pool and portable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howard said:

That will suck for drinking water should you lose power. Good for flushing toilets though. 

I have a couple of Sawyer water purification kits I keep in my go bags and a larger one for home. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Don't forget about your hot water tank. That's how many ever gallons of potable agua ( shtf)

180 mph sustained. Holy chit!

That's 264 fps.   Paintball gun velocity.   Only the projectiles are lawn chairs, shopping carts, downed limbs, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, 10X said:

That's 264 fps.   Paintball gun velocity.   Only the projectiles are lawn chairs, shopping carts, downed limbs, etc.

When I lived in Ohio we did tornado drills. Teachers would show pictures of tooth pics almost fully embedded in telephone poles.

true story. 

Hmm... this is interesting! I know we have some NJGF members in Florida (lucky escapees!!!) - who knows, some may not know about this? Apparently, Florida has an emergency concealed carry law that kicks in during mandatory evacuations. Here's a link to read more:

http://www.guns.com/2017/09/06/hurricane-irma-has-some-looking-to-florida-emergency-concealed-carry-law/ 

On 9/2/2017 at 8:21 PM, InFamous said:

I'm not worried about Irma for another week. Doesn't mean I may have or may not have purchased $100 of emergency food and going to go get a few cases of water tomorrow. Along with some extra cases of beer before next weekend :p

Who did you go to for food? Wise?

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Who did you go to for food? Wise?

Grabbed the 72hr kit from here https://pat4life.com/collections/food-supply since it seemed like a decent deal. Than went with this kit from sportsmansguide.com https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/augason-farms-emergency-food-supply-breakfast-amp-dinner-variety-pail-106-servings?a=1940081

I've never tried any long term storage emergency food. So I figured I'd get two smaller kits for now and if I don't need, I can at least taste them to see what to stock up on in the future. 

Note: Both have shipped already for me, delivery early next week. Sportsmansguide one is now on backorder. 

3 minutes ago, InFamous said:

Grabbed the 72hr kit from here https://pat4life.com/collections/food-supply since it seemed like a decent deal. Than went with this kit from sportsmansguide.com https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/augason-farms-emergency-food-supply-breakfast-amp-dinner-variety-pail-106-servings?a=1940081

I've never tried any long term storage emergency food. So I figured I'd get two smaller kits for now and if I don't need, I can at least taste them to see what to stock up on in the future. 

Note: Both have shipped already for me, delivery early next week. Sportsmansguide one is now on backorder. 

Wise will give you a free sample. It all tastes the same to me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Hmm... this is interesting! I know we have some NJGF members in Florida (lucky escapees!!!) - who knows, some may not know about this? Apparently, Florida has an emergency concealed carry law that kicks in during mandatory evacuations. Here's a link to read more:

http://www.guns.com/2017/09/06/hurricane-irma-has-some-looking-to-florida-emergency-concealed-carry-law/ 

PA has a similar law, no CCW during declared state of emergencies.  Kinda dumb, they disarm you when you need it the most.

33 minutes ago, T Bill said:

PA has a similar law, no CCW during declared state of emergencies.  Kinda dumb, they disarm you when you need it the most.

@T Bill...I'm not familiar with PA's law... but unless I'm totally misunderstanding the article, Florida's law sounds like it EXPANDS (not restricts) gun owner rights during the emergency. This law makes it LEGAL to have a concealed carry firearm (even if you lack the CC permit which would normally be required) while you're making your exodus during a mandatory evacuation. 

• Like 3