Zeke

Irma?

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

@T Bill...I'm not familiar with PA's law... but unless I'm totally misunderstanding the article, Florida's law sounds like it EXPANDS (not restricts) gun owner rights during the emergency. This law makes it LEGAL to have a concealed carry firearm (even if you lack the CC permit which would normally be required) while you're making your exodus during a mandatory evacuation. 

That's how I read it also, giving those legally allowed to have a firearm the ability to CCW even without a permit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InFamous said:

That's how I read it also, giving those legally allowed to have a firearm the ability to CCW even without a permit. 

Yeah, we are reading it right... here's another article that explains it a bit more: http://concealednation.org/2017/09/reminder-to-florida-residents-your-governor-signed-a-bill-allowing-concealed-carry-during-emergency-evacuations/  

It seems this law was a reaction to what happened after Katrina, when some homeowners who fled carrying their firearms were actually charged for that!

10 minutes ago, Nickjc said:

if I had to buy a generator again and I will, I would buy diesle.  especially if I lived in an area that has a lot of fuel oil around

we will see something from it and more than just a bit of rain I'm thinking

Yeah, I usually have bunch sitting in the garage for heating.

I'd like a natural gas model. Is it worth the money to do a home standby generator?

You going to stay in the home long enough the costs are worth it to you?

Portable generators can go in your truck to the next home.

That is probably your biggest question on one. Not likely going to be able to get one installed/permitted before Irma gets here. Going to likely need a survey, pressure test the gas line (plumbing), and then electrical inspection. If you do sell the home, something to consider if you do it without a permit... it isn't a water heater that every other house usually has.

Also, that generator will run once a month to make sure it is working. You need to do maintenance on it, just like you would on a portable one.

• Like 1

As of the 11am update, today, the eye (and with it the overall cone) is heading further eastward. The Gulf coast might be spared the brunt of the storm. That said, the keys and the lower peninsula (up to and including Lake Okeechobee) are now under a Hurricane watch.  Our county has put out an update stating, "if you're in a flood zone with significant danger of storm surge, you need to evac ASAP).  If, however, you're dealing only with wind damage, unless it's CAT 5 winds, it's better to "shelter in place" and not evac. 

I guess they're trying to keep the traffic to a minimum and only have people who really need to evac, do so. 

I'm 30 miles east of the gulf.  I'm sheltering in place.

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'd like a natural gas model. Is it worth the money to do a home standby generator?

Idk. If you lose power a lot; I could justify it. But for an infrequent storm or" natural disaster " I think a portable is better. What if the ng infrastructure is impacted? You're sol.

And,and,and; what is a " necessity " to power?

more questions for you. Get a portable and a trifuel kit and you'll be; muscle!

1 hour ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

As of the 11am update, today, the eye (and with it the overall cone) is heading further eastward. The Gulf coast might be spared the brunt of the storm. That said, the keys and the lower peninsula (up to and including Lake Okeechobee) are now under a Hurricane watch.  Our county has put out an update stating, "if you're in a flood zone with significant danger of storm surge, you need to evac ASAP).  If, however, you're dealing only with wind damage, unless it's CAT 5 winds, it's better to "shelter in place" and not evac. 

I guess they're trying to keep the traffic to a minimum and only have people who really need to evac, do so. 

I'm 30 miles east of the gulf.  I'm sheltering in place.

Be safe

25 minutes ago, Austin1629 said:

I agree, also if you want to spend a few extra bucks put in an external quick disconnect gas fitting and a manual transfer switch with a dedicated inlet for the generator.

I always push for interlock. But; that's jus me

20 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

watching florida evac on the weather channel now. shit's crazy down there.

Pretty much. They're trying to encourage only people who would be in "evac zones" to evac now. Or anyone who is under threat of storm surge. If it's just a wind issue (and it's under CAT 5 winds), they're advising people to "shelter in place" rather than evac.  This, I think, to reduce traffic on the evac routes.  

As of the 11pm report, the track has jogged back west a little. so the eye might travel just slightly right of center up the peninsula. We're all still waiting to see what happpens.

I'm still sheltering in place, for now.

22 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Pretty much. They're trying to encourage only people who would be in "evac zones" to evac now. Or anyone who is under threat of storm surge. If it's just a wind issue (and it's under CAT 5 winds), they're advising people to "shelter in place" rather than evac.  This, I think, to reduce traffic on the evac routes.  

As of the 11pm report, the track has jogged back west a little. so the eye might travel just slightly right of center up the peninsula. We're all still waiting to see what happpens.

If it goes up the center, everyone gets a hurricane. If it stays east Miami essentially is wiped off the map.Watching this is showing me how unprepared I am for even minor natural disasters. 

I'm moving to a house at the end of the month. It's probably just a 5 year house, so I don't think I'll drop the money on a standby generator. Water filtration & collection along with food and gas storage will probably be my focus.

I fear for the people that get stuck trying to evacuate.

47 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

be safe man. they don't seem too sure of anything other than it's gonna hit there. my moms cousin lives in a trailer park...he's going with his wife to a friends old stone house about half hour away.

i've been seeing traffic cam video showing almost all northbound routes pretty close to a standstill.

8 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

If it goes up the center, everyone gets a hurricane. If it stays east Miami essentially is wiped off the map.Watching this is showing me how unprepared I am for even minor natural disasters. 

I'm moving to a house at the end of the month. It's probably just a 5 year house, so I don't think I'll drop the money on a standby generator. Water filtration & collection along with food and gas storage will probably be my focus.

Yeah, that's the other criteria for an evac. If you're in a "mobile" home (or one without a solid slab-on-grade foundation - few homes here actually have a full foundation), they want you to evac immediately.  My house is slab-on-grade, Block & Stucco.  The building code requires  newly constructed homes (after Andrew, I believe), to withstand 150mph winds. So if it drops down to CAT 4 or lower, that criteria is met. According to the latest models (which will be updated in 20 min,), it's forecast to go down to CAT 2 by the time it reaches Orlando (the center is now set to track right up the middle of the peninsula). 

I may go buy some plywood to put up against the windows and my front door. 

I'm fascinated by the pandemonium prepping going on now in FL.

I mean, I see a pack of bottled water everyday at Lowe's, etc. for $4-$5 now people are fighting over it or getting price gouged.  Same with plywood and gas.  I guess most people don't keep even minor stores.

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

be safe man. they don't seem too sure of anything other than it's gonna hit there. my moms cousin lives in a trailer park...he's going with his wife to a friends old stone house about half hour away.

i've been seeing traffic cam video showing almost all northbound routes pretty close to a standstill.

As stated earlier, mobile and trailer park residents are  being encouraged to evac. 

As of 8am, winds are down to 150mph, and the storm is now CAT4.  But it's still tracking right up the center of the peninsula.

cone graphic

My area is not under either watch or warning yet, but it's coming. If it tracks the way it's going, we'll get hit, but hopefully with only CAT2 or lower winds.  We'll see.  

I'm going to go see if I can find some plywood for the windows. 

I'll keep all posted.

31 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

As stated earlier, mobile and trailer park residents are  being encouraged to evac. 

As of 8am, winds are down to 150mph, and the storm is now CAT4.  But it's still tracking right up the center of the peninsula.

cone graphic

My area is not under either watch or warning yet, but it's coming. If it tracks the way it's going, we'll get hit, but hopefully with only CAT2 or lower winds.  We'll see.  

I'm going to go see if I can find some plywood for the windows. 

I'll keep all posted.

looking forward to your point of view, my wifes family is close to you in New Port Richey. Good luck.

9 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

You cant store gas for all that long and its probably cheaper to go to costco and buy cases of kirkland water and stow them away compared to setting up a collection and filtration system. If you get in the habit of buying just a little extra every other time you go to the store and put it away you'll be amazed how quick you will build up a cache of food/water and you won;t have to scramble last minute.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, siderman said:

looking forward to your point of view, my wifes family is close to you in New Port Richey. Good luck.

New / Port Richey is in my county.  They are a "Class 'A' evac" zone.  People there should be long gone by now. They're right on the gulf. Same with Elfers, Anclote, etc.   I'm about 30 miles inland from those towns. 

1 hour ago, carl_g said:

You cant store gas for all that long and its probably cheaper to go to costco and buy cases of kirkland water and stow them away compared to setting up a collection and filtration system. If you get in the habit of buying just a little extra every other time you go to the store and put it away you'll be amazed how quick you will build up a cache of food/water and you won;t have to scramble last minute.

I store on avg. about 40 gallons of gas. Just filled up all the cans. Next summer if I haven't used it, it goes right into the car, and refill the cans. 

If there is a threat coming I just make sure to fill any empty cans that were used. 

Gas can be stored for 2 years and be relatively fresh with an ethenol stabilizer. But there is no reason to store gas for long periods of time, unless somehow you manage not to use any. 

Even bottled water is said to have a shelf life of only two years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I store on avg. about 40 gallons of gas. Just filled up all the cans. Next summer if I haven't used it, it goes right into the car, and refill the cans. 

If there is a threat coming I just make sure to fill any empty cans that were used. 

Gas can be stored for 2 years and be relatively fresh with an ethenol stabilizer. But there is no reason to store gas for long periods of time, unless somehow you manage not to use any. 

Even bottled water is said to have a shelf life of only two years.

Rotating 40 gallons of gas on a yearly basis to me is a pain in the ass. I guess its a personal choice in what you are willing to do and keep up with. I don't agree with a  bottled water shelf life and apparently the FDA doesn't either.

The FDA considers bottled water to have an indefinite shelf life if it’s produced in accordance with regulations and remains unopened. Therefore, expiration dates on bottles are voluntary, and may reflect concerns for taste and odor rather than safety. Bottled water should be stored in a cool location away from direct sunlight.

http://www.bottledwater.org/education/bottled-water-storage

The issue of "why don't people common sense have storage already?"    My guess is it boils down to SPACE.   That would be the first issue for me.   Where would I keep 40 gallons of fuel?  I'm not just thinking containers but I mean location?  Don't want it in the attached garage.  So then where else?   Even ten cases of water. Most people's homes as jammed with clutter already.   produce a creative way to store water and fuel for a typical house With typical family and I'll bet you get rich.  

1 hour ago, Barms said:

The issue of "why don't people common sense have storage already?"    My guess is it boils down to SPACE.   That would be the first issue for me.   Where would I keep 40 gallons of fuel?  I'm not just thinking containers but I mean location?  Don't want it in the attached garage.  So then where else?   Even ten cases of water. Most people's homes as jammed with clutter already.   produce a creative way to store water and fuel for a typical house With typical family and I'll bet you get rich.  

Shelves.... nailed it!!!!

4 hours ago, Barms said:

got a spare car? there's 20 gallons of storage right there.