stuckinNJ

Weird question: Can I (a NJ resident already with a FID) apply and get a Non-Resident FID?

So I'm currently a NJ resident and have a FID. However, there's a decent possibility that I may move out of state (prob NYS, but I'd want to keep my firearms in NJ) in the near future. I'd like to know if I can somehow get a nonresident FID now before Murphy implements many more hurdles to getting FIDs in general (like mandatory training, etc.)

Is there any way to do this? Or can I "convert" my resident FID to nonresident at some point in the future (and perhaps be grandfathered in should the law change)?

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Why?

Will you still have a residence in NJ? If so, keep the FPID as is, and you'll still be able to get permits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Well it would be my parents' address. And they might move also, but within NJ. I basically want a nonresident NJ FID not tied to any address so I could keep them wherever my parents end up moving.

12 minutes ago, tattooo said:

I would think that until you get a NYS ID you are a resident and cannot obtain a non resident NJ ID. Cross that bridge when you get there.

If it weren't an election year with a threatening frontrunner then I'd just wait and see. But seeing as things are looking like it'll get even more difficult to get a FID, I thought I'd start asking now.

1 hour ago, stuckinNJ said:

Well it would be my parents' address. And they might move also, but within NJ. I basically want a nonresident NJ FID not tied to any address so I could keep them wherever my parents end up moving.

The FPID card , the P does not stand for possession. The P stands for Purchasing

What county in NYS are you thinking of moving to? Some counties issue full unrestricted carry permits some will not. On the plus side NYS has no one gun a month rule or a stupid pistol purchase permit.

1 hour ago, brucin said:

What county in NYS are you thinking of moving to? Some counties issue full unrestricted carry permits some will not. On the plus side NYS has no one gun a month rule or a stupid pistol purchase permit.

It would probably be Nassau unfortunately. Not known to give CCWs unlike upstate.

6 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

Now there's a UNICORN if I ever saw one, lol!  Whatcha talkin'-bout Willis?  Sounds like a deliberate attempt at falsification of firearms documents?  You lookin' to get a free room & board all-expenses paid trip to Rahway, lol?

Resident or non-resident, a NJ state issued NJFPID card comes back to a RESIDENCE.  For NJ this can't be a PO Box at some NY college dorm or LIE rest stop.  It has to be "real" otherwise if you fill it out & make knowingly false statements you're guilty of a crime!  

Look, there's no rule on how many residences you can have in NJ, and there's no hard & fast strict interpretation of what comprises a residence or how many days in a row, month or year you must sleep THERE in order for it to be considered a residence.  So if you currently live at Mommy & Daddy's and want to simplify your life, just leave a used bottle of aftershave & a toothbrush at their house in NJ (no matter where it might be now or where they move to in the future), and offer to pay a monthly bill addressed to YOU at the address where your parents live.  Now you have mail addressed to you coming to a RESIDENCE.  Now you've established a residence.  And when you visit them, make sure to leave plenty of DNA evidence in your old room (or the new pull-out) :) 

Your current NJFPID card is good at your parent's current residence.  If they move, have them bring all of your stuff with them (personal belongings that don't use gunpowder) & you go move yer things that go BANG.  Then apply for a change of address NJFPID card for Mom & Dad's (and YOUR) new address at the local CLEO's office.  Do so after having a terrible boating accident & drowning your current NJFPID card so you can still use it to buy hand gun ammo while the new card is being processed :)  Nassau County starts on the Queens Co. border, so it's not like you're THAT far away, so visit your SECOND RESIDENCE often!  Moms & Dads like that  :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

It would probably be Nassau unfortunately. Not known to give CCWs unlike upstate.

Well at least you wouldn't be subject to the one gun a month nonsense but i've heard they take weeks to add whatever you bought and paid for to your permit which is a whole bunch of nonsense in and of itself.

The same thing takes 24 hours in Fulton County.

11 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Now there's a UNICORN if I ever saw one, lol!  Whatcha talkin'-bout Willis?  Sounds like a deliberate attempt at falsification of firearms documents?  You lookin' to get a free room & board all-expenses paid trip to Rahway, lol?

Resident or non-resident, a NJ state issued NJFPID card comes back to a RESIDENCE.  For NJ this can't be a PO Box at some NY college dorm or LIE rest stop.  It has to be "real" otherwise if you fill it out & make knowingly false statements you're guilty of a crime!  

Look, there's no rule on how many residences you can have in NJ, and there's no hard & fast strict interpretation of what comprises a residence or how many days in a row, month or year you must sleep THERE in order for it to be considered a residence.  So if you currently live at Mommy & Daddy's and want to simplify your life, just leave a used bottle of aftershave & a toothbrush at their house in NJ (no matter where it might be now or where they move to in the future), and offer to pay a monthly bill addressed to YOU at the address where your parents live.  Now you have mail addressed to you coming to a RESIDENCE.  Now you've established a residence.  And when you visit them, make sure to leave plenty of DNA evidence in your old room (or the new pull-out) :) 

Your current NJFPID card is good at your parent's current residence.  If they move, have them bring all of your stuff with them (personal belongings that don't use gunpowder) & you go move yer things that go BANG.  Then apply for a change of address NJFPID card for Mom & Dad's (and YOUR) new address at the local CLEO's office.  Do so after having a terrible boating accident & drowning your current NJFPID card so you can still use it to buy hand gun ammo while the new card is being processed :)  Nassau County starts on the Queens Co. border, so it's not like you're THAT far away, so visit your SECOND RESIDENCE often!  Moms & Dads like that  :) 

lol I guess I assumed an nonresident FID wasn't tied to a NJ address since it's....NONresident. Also, how would I attach a NJ address to a nonresident FID if my license (at that point) would be from a diff state?

34 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

Ok that's what I wanted to know! So then how would it be useful for buying anything in NJ like handguns? Would the p2p also have the out of state address?

You can buy long guns from a FFL in NJ  with a non-resident NJ FID.  You can't buy a handgun in a state you're not a resident of.  That's Federal.

• Like 1

So, in summary, IMHO, get your NYDL and keep your NJ FPID with your parent's residence where you occasionally stay. You can buy handguns, long guns, and receivers in either state.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golf battery said:

Yes you can.  Mi padre is now a fl resident and still retains his nj fid card. 

I have a FL drivers license and an NJ FPID using my N.J. address.

To OP why do out of state?  Change address to parents if you want or you cannot get pistols. 

31 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I have a FL drivers license and an NJ FPID using my N.J. address.

To OP why do out of state?  Change address to parents if you want or you cannot get pistols. 

Bc I'm gonna wanna own and keep guns in NY too. I may even be able to get a CCW since someone asked me to perhaps join a security company.

32 minutes ago, stuckinNJ said:

Bc I'm gonna wanna own and keep guns in NY too. I may even be able to get a CCW since someone asked me to perhaps join a security company.

You claim you reside in both states you can buy and own guns in both states.  I do now, thus I don’t understand why you see this as a problem.  

BTW, an out of state FPID doesn’t make it legal to keep the guns at your parents.  You need to claim that you live there part time—which I assume isn’t an issue.  

There is no benefit, only limitations, to getting out of state FPID.

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

You claim you reside in both states you can buy and own guns in both states.  I do now, thus I don’t understand why you see this as a problem.  

BTW, an out of state FPID doesn’t make it legal to keep the guns at your parents.  You need to claim that you live there part time—which I assume isn’t an issue.  

There is no benefit, only limitations, to getting out of state FPID.

How can I retain my NJ resident FID (presumably with a NJ address) if my primary ID is out of state? Doesn't the FID address need to match my ID?

The idea here is that I'm sort of hoping for a miracle that Murphy doesn't drop us to 10 rounds or make us further neuter our ARs to be featuress (like NY & CA) and therefore keep my mags and AR in NJ.

Son, you are completely confused.  Leave the politics out of the picture for a moment & concentrate on what we're saying to you:

Keep your NJ residence listed on a traditional NJFPID card that comes back to Mommmy & Daddy's address.  Don't even bother applying for out-of-state NJFPID.

Get your NY state firearms credentials & jump thru THEIR hoops as necessary.

You can store your Jersey compliant AR (and anything else beside that grenade launcher) at Mommy & Daddy's place.

Renew other documents before they expire.  

Do what Rob says.  He lives in TWO states :) 

• Like 1

How can I retain my NJ resident FID (presumably with a NJ address) if my primary ID is out of state? Doesn't the FID address need to match my ID?
The idea here is that I'm sort of hoping for a miracle that Murphy doesn't drop us to 10 rounds or make us further neuter our ARs to be featuress (like NY & CA) and therefore keep my mags and AR in NJ.
These what is ___________ gets elected and X happens drive me nuts .....what if said politician drops the rounds to 1 not 10 ? cross that bridge if that day comes.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

lol I guess I assumed an nonresident FID wasn't tied to a NJ address since it's....NONresident. Also, how would I attach a NJ address to a nonresident FID if my license (at that point) would be from a diff state?

The non-resident NJFPID needs a valid NY state address (in your example here).  Every document issued by NJ is tied to some sort of residence where you receive mail.  Car titles, NJDL, NJFPID, CDL, Nursing, Social Work, Medical Doctor, Home Inspector, the list is endless.  

Also, how would I attach a NJ address to a nonresident FID if my license (at that point) would be from a diff state?

^^^Isn't that the entire point?  I'd use a stapler :) 

• Like 1

There are insanely long threads with insanely long detailed posts, by me, on not having a matching d/l and FPID.  I won’t rehash it here but I’ll simply tell you that anyone who says they need to match is full of shit, misinformed, doesn’t understand the law or just plain wrong.  You just need to reside at the addresses you provide   In other words it’s not an excuse not to update FPID if you no longer live at the address on it.  

If you live in two states everything is fine.  Your state of residence on any given day is the one you are in.  Read form 4473 it’s all in there. 

Thanks to Smokin .50. 

• Like 1