302w

Generator transfer switches

I need help finding a transfer switch.

I'm looking for something that would essentially work as a disconnect switch. Disconnect grid power, connect to a 30 amp recepticle which I would be fed from a generator. 

It seems most transfer switches mimic a sub panel. It obviously helps idiots not overload their generators. 

This is what I used. I just swapped out the 60 amp main for a 100. Marked all the breakers that need to be off so you don't overload the genset.

I used this
https://www.interlockkit.com
I have a 8500 watt generator and it will power my house not including the central air. I had an electrician install a 30 amp plug on the side of my house and a breaker for the generator. The kit allows you to shut off the main power from the street and turn on the breaker for the generator. It was a lot cheaper to buy and install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

This is what I used. I just swapped out the 60 amp main for a 100. Marked all the breakers that need to be off so you don't overload the genset.

But even these instructions state to feed a sub panel or a single load. I'm looking to feed my whole panel 

4 hours ago, 302w said:

I need help finding a transfer switch.

I'm looking for something that would essentially work as a disconnect switch. Disconnect grid power, connect to a 30 amp recepticle which I would be fed from a generator. 

It seems most transfer switches mimic a sub panel. It obviously helps idiots not overload their generators. 

Interlock

For myself I opted for the Transfer Switch because I only need 8 circuits to be covered. The TS was easiest and quickest way for me to go, plus I got good deal on it right after Hurricane Irene, the storm that  missed us but we were ready for Sandy the following year with our setup and the US Carb Tri-fuel Kit.

If we had a bigger home & lager panel I would have went with the Interlock. I wanted the gauges to monitor the load which I mentioned this previously gen thread so that was the other selling point for me. You could also add gauges to an Interlock install but I went the Transfer Switch route which has worked out well for us… Good Luck!

TS.jpg.a7c29ddb45ade5f9d42e6c5d1d83ea52.jpg

interlockkit.com

I've got one and know of several people who've installed one.  easy to install, cheap, allows you to bring your entire house up on a generator.  I've run my whole house, minus the A/C condenser, on my 5500W generator and gotten 16.5 hours on 5 gallons of gas used.  You can use anything in the house, just not all at once.

• Like 1