JohnnyB

Virgin Islands Allows National Guard To Seize Guns, ammo Ahead Of Hurricane Irma

From the article:

"U.S. Virgin Islands Gov. Kenneth Mapp signed an emergency order allowing the seizure of private guns, ammunition, explosives and property the National Guard may need to respond to Hurricane Irma."

So exactly how many guns and explosives will be needed to respond to a hurricane ? Are they planning on blowing up the hurricane eye or something? 

Somehow I think the author was looking for justification for the action but, well sucked at finding it. LOL

-Jim

Could be more focused on collecting property that will benefit the public good during a natural disaster. Not necessarily, or limited to, Firearms. Generators, vehicles, boats, anything else that could help an evacuation or keep a shelter running.    

Others have pointed out that while the US Constitution does not apply to USVI, their own Bill of Rights prohibits this without compensation. 

it's real news. it's also unconstitutional and illegal as mentioned and therefore will be rescinded within the day. i just don't understand the thinking behind it. btw, that order goes beyond guns. it gives the guard the right to seize ALL property they deem valuable to do battle with the hurricane. so the disaster recovery act makes it illegal for them to take your guns and ammo, but they are still going to be able to seize your generator, food, automobile, gasoline, hell maybe even your house if they think it will help them. . anti gunners may cheer such action, but would they be so enthusiastic when they actually read that order and realize it goes way beyond firearms? now THAT is some bullshit.  the law demands that governor be impeached for his actions

1 hour ago, dRaker said:

I can't understand this order either. In fact, these people might need them to protect themselves.

Bush 41 had to send MPs and LEOs to the Virgin Islands after Hurricane Hugo in 1989 as the National Guard and police there were doing a lot of the looting.

Here's a direct quote from the Facebook page of U.S.V.I. Government house, emphasis mine:

"Fellow Virgin Islanders - Please beware of the rumors and misperceptions that happen in an emergency situation. This and the VITEMA page are official sources of information regarding this storm. Please be advised that there is ABSOLUTELY NO effort to confiscate anyone's weapons. As a matter of law, when the National Guard is activated in an emgergency situation they are granted the power to seize weapons and other materials they deem necessary to carry out their mission. Such an order is executed EVERY TIME the V.I. National Guard is activated. Anyone that says otherwise is simply trying to create confusion during what is already a very stressful time for us all. Those with concerns about this provision of the VI Code should bring them to our law-making body following the storm."

So, they empower their guard to do something illegal every single time. But trust them, they won't really do it.

• Like 1

The Governor was on Tucker Carlson Tonight if you care to watch a replay later. His 'refutation' of the order's intent was not that credible. At least to me. I'm not going to rehash it.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

The Governor was on Tucker Carlson Tonight if you care to watch a replay later. His 'refutation' of the order's intent was not that credible. At least to me. I'm not going to rehash it.

Keep in mind the USVI is run by Democrats.  VI Democrats, yes but no different than the mainland.  They do have very strict gun laws.  They also have a homicide rate that's usually about ten times the national average and roughly twice as high as Chicago.

• Like 2