Kaiser7

So I'm hooked to competing now, but what should I choose for High-Power

So I recently competed in Quinton's .22 rifle match, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had shooting. It also boosted my confidence in my skills, and I learned a lot of things that I had trouble understanding from just reading them online. For example, I never really grasped how to adjust a scope for different ranges using the "Clicks". Fortunately, a man there taught me how to do it, and gave me a rough guide for how many clicks I'd need to adjust for different ranges, which helped me to get on target quickly. I also was really happy that I managed to hit 3/12 targets at 150yds, and 2/12 at 200yds, since I've never shot those distances before. Hell, I think I could have done better, but my bipod was loose, something I didn't realize until I was packing up, which was causing my gun to tilt a little bit.

I'm really looking to do more competitions in the future, even just fun ones. I'm thinking of doing the High-power shoot October 8th, but I'm unsure what rifle I should bring. I've considered my M1 Garand, my AR15 (20" chrome-lined barrel 1:9 twist), or my Swiss K31. I'd say I have the most experience with the AR15, but I'm unsure if 55gr rounds will be enough to knock targets down. I have a good bit of experience with the Garand, but I'm not as confident in my skills with it, or with sight adjustment. As for the K31, the recoil is akin to .308  I believe, which may help with accurate shooting, and they have a reputation for being fantastically accurate rifles (Not to mention the straight-pull bolt is fast to operate), but I have no experience with it whatsoever--but I imagine it'll be interesting to bring out. 

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know more about 3 gun shoots. I think I'd bring my Sig226 in 9mm, but I feel my AR15 may be a bit big and heavy for 3gun. I also don't think my shotgun is suitable, I have a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel, no choke, with a +2 extension. 

I'm really glad to have gotten into competitive shooting, it's a ton of fun, and I think that if I keep it up, I might get pretty good, I'm looking forward to seeing people out there!

11 minutes ago, Kaiser7 said:

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know more about 3 gun shoots. I think I'd bring my Sig226 in 9mm, but I feel my AR15 may be a bit big and heavy for 3gun. I also don't think my shotgun is suitable, I have a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel, no choke, with a +2 extension. 

I think to get started what you have right now is perfect.  As a new competitor your equipment is not what will be holding you back.  Shoot some matches and get experience and then you can figure out what, if any, upgrades you want.

Focus, Focus, Focus...

Decide specifically what type of competition you want to shoot.

Your AR is very versatile.   69gr SMKs should shoot fine out of your 1:9 rate barrel (that's the heaviest I would go).

If you decide to go Long Range maybe I can help you.

But Focus on one discipline and focus and MAKE SURE you read the rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T Bill said:

High power match with a M1 Garand, priceless. Learn to use iron sights.  Once mastered, everything else is easy!

Oh I have a bunch of fun things I could try, Lee-Enfield, FN49, or even my ex-sniper Mosin, but I figured the Garand I take out a lot, and I believe they have a decent reputation for accuracy. Only thing is I'd be shooting surplus HXP. I figure that if I at least have some decent equipment, I'll know what errors are due to me, and not my equipment.

As for Iron Sights, the reason I was leaning towards the AR is that I have more experience with it at further ranges, and I purposely selected sights that were of a similar profile to the M1 Garand and M14 (Matech rear, Daniel Defense rail mounted front sight--I love the Barely corn). It's mostly a tossup between the Garand and AR15. I think the Garand will be more fun, but I'll also have to adjust the sling for stability, since it's too tight to wrap around my shoulder. Either way, I think I'll learn a lot about bettering my technique, which is my main goal for doing more competitions. 

Just now, Old School said:

Focus, Focus, Focus...

Decide specifically what type of competition you want to shoot.

Your AR is very versatile.   69gr SMKs should shoot fine out of your 1:9 rate barrel (that's the heaviest I would go).

If you decide to go Long Range maybe I can help you.

But Focus on one discipline and focus and MAKE SURE you read the rules.

Overall I've had most interest in 3 gun and long range. I feel 3 gun is better for learning defensive gun skills, and it looks like a lot of fun. Long range has always interested me because of the difficulty involved, as well as the knowledge one gains in accurate shooting. The major barrier there is that the cost of a good scope is out of my budget. 

And thanks for the compliment on the AR! Not sure if you remember, but you helped me build it, gave me a lot of advice and instructions! It came out exactly as I wanted it to. I was hoping for something versatile, especially since I was a broke college student when I built it. I figured I'd get something that could reach out a little further, but still be lighter than dedicated long-range guns. It turned out very well, at 50yds I can hit a 8" steel target every shot shooting freehand. It's a great rifle.

High Power Match?  Only answer is Garand (you KNEW it yourself already, right?)!

You went from being a collector to a plinker.  Now yer a competitor.  Think like one!  Don't complain about equipment, become its' master.  Plinkers forget to tighten screws on bipods, competitors don't.  No excuses, it's all on YOU!  Learn the Garand & what it likes.  What you learn is transferable for the rest of your life.  Adjust the sling so you copy the guy that wins the competition.  ASK for help & you'll get it.  Craft your questions explicitly so it doesn't take all year to answer general ones during a competition, because the guys you wanna learn from "get into the Zone" and can't answer War & Peace style questions as they monitor their heart rates, eat a snack to balance blood sugar, drink water, and PEE before they have to lay prone on their bladders :) .  Yeah kid, it gets serious!  And most of all, know we're excited that you "caught the bug"!  Now make use of those young eyes & KICK SOME ASS! :)   And HAVE FUN DOING IT!

4 hours ago, John Boy said:

Kaiser - would this kind of match interest you ... http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/VBR/VBR 2017 Schedule.pdf

John Boy - This sounds very cool.  Where is it?

Kaiser - You can get into precision rifle shooting even F-class for under $2k for everything.  If you can make that stretch PM me and I detail everything you need w/ approx. costs.

Kaiser.  3 gun.  Take up lou's offer to call him.  You can def do 3 gun with what you have.    Just be careful.  Addictions to this sport can be fast and expensive.   But well worth it.  If you liked that 22 match.  Youll crap yourself at a 3 gun.  You should probably do a few idpa or uspsa matches first to get more familiar with how these matches are run.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Kaiser - would this kind of match interest you ... http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/VBR/VBR 2017 Schedule.pdf
Someday, yes. I don't think I have the skills to get on target that far yet. My eyes aren't so great either. I've always wanted to try some distance shooting. I've been working my way up from 50 to 300 yds lately

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk