Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

helo crash

looks like half of montgomery/gentry is gone.

helicopter crash this afternoon right at the flying w(N14). i've flown in/out of that airport god knows how many times. looks like they were less than 50 yards short of the threshold. i used to know the guy that owns the flight school that he was flying with. guy normally is pretty meticulous with his maintenance, and generally hires scary good pilots.

i'm not a big fan of modern country....but it still sucks to see this stuff.

The pilot, 30-year-old James Evan Robinson, declared an emergency and was trying to land the helicopter on approach when they crashed around 12:30 p.m. in a wooded area on Fostertown Road in Medford at the airport.

Troy Gentry, 50, half of the country duo Montgomery Gentry, was extricated from the helicopter and transported to Virtua Marlton Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Robinson, who had just recently moved to Medford Township, was pronounced dead on the scene. Robinson was a native of Meigs Georgia and was a helicopter pilot at the Flight School located at the Flying W Airport.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/09/08/medford-helicopter-crash/

7 minutes ago, AS350Driver said:

I did all my flight training with this school, and worked as an instructor for them for a year and a half. Like you said maintenance was always top notch.  Sad day.

it's not the same flight school there that teaches fixed wing. i don't want to say the name here.....they used to be on kvay. i flew with a couple of their instructors.  i always felt safe with them(i couldn't fly a helo to save my life).

9 hours ago, AS350Driver said:

Correct, the school moved in 2006 from vay to n14 I was one of their instructors at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHIT, REALLY?? we've probably met then. i used to hang out there after a days worth of flying r/c across the street. i was also in that CAP squadron. he'd opened up the simulator one night for my cadets.

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

SHIT, REALLY?? we've probably met then. i used to hang out there after a days worth of flying r/c across the street. i was also in that CAP squadron. he'd opened up the simulator one night for my cadets.

Yeah, we probably have met. I was a student when the Portuguese man of war(if you remember him) was still an instructor there, before he tried starting his own school.

29 minutes ago, AS350Driver said:

Yeah, we probably have met. I was a student when the Portuguese man of war(if you remember him) was still an instructor there, before he tried starting his own school.

I only vaguely remember him. i had a little left seat time with mike t.....and he also checked me out in the old cessna. i think it was a 62? friggin manual flaps, lolol.

you remember that bodybuilder student? the guy that couldn't fly with the door on?

i like all those guys. i REALLY truly hope all turns out as ok as it can for the school.