Rob0115

packing up the house

I’m working with my wife of 25 years to pack up the family home of the last ~20 years.  I’ve never  understood more that men and women are from different planets than I do right now.  I was watching this old video before blowing up with frustration and it made me laugh.  I’m sure many have seen it previously, but it really does capture the differences that have never been more evident to me than they are right now.  

• Like 8

This is so true. Keep your mouth shut and suck it up. Perhaps you can blow off steam, somehow and somewhere, at the end of each day.

I rented a 30 yard dumpster and promised to repurchase old decorations, dishes, and furniture. You'll be surprised how refreshing and cleansing it can be to throw out 20 years of stuff. We filled that sucker.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hear ya. I suck it up every Christmas when I drag out 20+ big storage crates & boxes of CRAP so she can think about what comes out....and almost as bad for other holidays ugh. I dread moving time big time. Should be a rule- if something hasnt been used in 5 (3?) yrs toss it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

This is so true. Keep your mouth shut and suck it up. Perhaps you can blow off steam, somehow and somewhere, at the end of each day.

I rented a 30 yard dumpster and promised to repurchase old decorations, dishes, and furniture. You'll be surprised how refreshing and cleansing it can be to throw out 20 years of stuff. We filled that sucker.

I've been biting my tongue so much there's a hole in it!

2 hours ago, siderman said:

I hear ya. I suck it up every Christmas when I drag out 20+ big storage crates & boxes of CRAP so she can think about what comes out....and almost as bad for other holidays ugh. I dread moving time big time. Should be a rule- if something hasnt been used in 5 (3?) yrs toss it!

They say 1 year. But tools and cookware are omitting 

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Happy wife happy life 

Fishnut "nailed" it! Stop your bitchin', boys. If your biggest complaint is that every so often you have to lug the stuff that your S.O. has collected to make your house a "home", make it festive at the holidays, make it welcoming to your friends and family, etc. - you're a lucky man indeed! Count your blessings.

I too laughed in amazement at the video... I mean, that guy was being such an unfeeling, bossy jerk, wasn't he? ;) 

• Like 3

I’m not bitching, not really, and it ain’t over lugging stuff.  It was an issue that I almost couldn’t fix without real time and expense.  She was touching up walls with the wrong paint and I don’t have the original custom color we used.  I was very clear in the contract that I wouldn’t fill nail holes from hanging or touch that up.  My wife knew this, didn’t listen, and lots of fun ensued.   

Thanks the guys at Riccardi paint in Parsipanny I was able to cut a piece of the wall out, they colored matched it, I patched and repainted all of the mistakes.  A whole Saturday shot for a problem that wasn’t necessary.   My frustration was my wife’s lack of understanding the gravity of touching up paint that covers an enormous connected sections of the house.   My real frustration is that with all the work to do I didn’t need to torch all night and today dealing with something not in the tight schedule.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I’m not bitching, not really, and it ain’t over lugging stuff.  It was an issue that I almost couldn’t fix without real time and expense.  She was touching up walls with the wrong paint and I don’t have the original custom color we used.  I was very clear in the contract that I wouldn’t fill nail holes from hanging or touch that up.  My wife knew this, didn’t listen, and lots of fun ensued.   

Thanks the guys at Riccardi paint in Parsipanny I was able to cut a piece of the wall out, they colored matched it, I patched and repainted all of the mistakes.  A whole Saturday shot for a problem that wasn’t necessary.   My frustration was my wife’s lack of understanding the gravity of touching up paint that covers an enormous connected sections of the house.   My real frustration is that with all the work to do I didn’t need to torch all night and today dealing with something not in the tight schedule.  

OK, that would tick me off too.

But, hey... YOU fixed it! Well done!

Now, doesn't that make you feel better? :D

(And what did we all do before those color-matching machines? I freaking LOVE those...)

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

OK, that would tick me off too.

But, hey... YOU fixed it! Well done!

Now, doesn't that make you feel better? :D

(And what did we all do before those color-matching machines? I freaking LOVE those...)

They’re amazing and a life saver.  The only reason it was even a discussion is because she was blaming me for having old paint cans on a shelf in the basement.  It’s as if she can’t admit she’s wrong, you know?  In fact I didn’t even care about the admission of guilt but blaming me just had me chuckling inside. 

9 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

They’re amazing and a life saver.  The only reason it was even a discussion is because she was blaming for having old paint cans on a shelf in the basement.  It’s as if she can’t admit she’s wrong, you know?  In fact I didn’t even care about the admission of guilt but blaming just had me chuckling inside. 

Dear, dear Rob! She can't admit "she's" wrong... because it's always your fault!

My god, man... you've been married how many years...? 25 you say...? And I have to explain this simple, fundamental truth to you? You have failed the obligatory man training program. Back to school with you! 

Seriously though, good luck with the move. Try not to kill each other. Remember, you'll be laughing about these stories in a couple of weeks. :rofl:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Dear, dear Rob! She can't admit "she's" wrong... because it's always your fault!

My god, man... you've been married how many years...? 25 you say...? And I have to explain this simple, fundamental truth to you? You have failed the obligatory man training program. Back to school with you! 

Seriously though, good luck with the move. Try not to kill each other. Remember, you'll be laughing about these stories in a couple of weeks. :rofl:

Lol.  I passed training but maybe need to take the continuing education.  Lol. 

• Like 3

I just had this same issue with my gf. We moved our old place and a full storage unit into my new house. Some of the things she wanted to keep were absolutely ridiculous. We banged heads but she finally started letting go of the junk.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Fishnut "nailed" it! Stop your bitchin', boys. If your biggest complaint is that every so often you have to lug the stuff that your S.O. has collected to make your house a "home", make it festive at the holidays, make it welcoming to your friends and family, etc. - you're a lucky man indeed! Count your blessings.

I too laughed in amazement at the video... I mean, that guy was being such an unfeeling, bossy jerk, wasn't he? ;) 

Agree with Peel here.  And let's not forget, if women were not equipped to tolerate the source of our pain and just live with it. Lots of men would be out in the street!  Jus sayin :p

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zeke said:

They say 1 year. But tools and cookware are omitting 

lol, I lernd that. Me-" for cryin out loud , how many crockpots do ya need!?"  Her- "how many drills do you own?" .....silence.......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PK90 said:

+1.  I did the same when we moved.

10 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

At least your wife's helping move... Mine went and visited her sister for a month while I had to move everything!

(it was for something else but yeah - left me to do all the work)

that's messed up!

At least your wife's helping move... Mine went and visited her sister for a month while I had to move everything!
I would have loved that. A couple of dumpsters, and it would have taken me a few hours to pack the whole house.

Oh gawd ahahah. Me and the Mrs. Bought our house last year, been doing some work here and there. I always seem to be in the middle of a project when she starts telling me how and where I need to clean up.... I let one comment slip about how she is more than welcome to help clean up when I'm finished...  I slept on the couch that night. Haha

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

You should have called me. I would have brought beer and cigars.

17 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

You should have called me. I would have brought beer and cigars.

Damn man I'm calling you next time I move.

I always have to provide beer and bbq for my buddy's who help me move and that can get pretty pricey considering how much beer and food they can consume 

• Like 2