Zeke

Should I ask about slings

I was actually just going to make a thread about slings. I have a leather sling on my m1 garand, but I have no idea if it's useful for stabilized shooting. It's pretty tight up against the rifle, and I'm not sure how, or if, I can loosen it for use in shooting.

If not, what could I use? I never knew much about slings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Now I need mounts @High Exposure and @voyager9

Vcas, push button..

Do you have a free float hand guard? Many of those have QD holes. 

Then get a End plate with QD: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-QD-End-Plate-p/bcm-epm4-qd.htm

13 minutes ago, Zeke said:

And tey say I'm a post whore, 

You are a post whore

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Not switching end plate. Magpul fixed butt sock and front attachment near magwell.... keymod handi

I ask because I don't know. Does the stock have a QD reciptical?  If not what did you want to do for the rear attachment point?   There are QD attachments that wrap around the buffer tube but to me they used clunky. Replacing the end plate was a lot easier

13 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I ask because I don't know. Does the stock have a QD reciptical?  If not what did you want to do for the rear attachment point?   There are QD attachments that wrap around the buffer tube but to me they used clunky. Replacing the end plate was a lot easier

It has... a hole

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It has... a hole

Then I'm confused what your original question was asking. I thought it was how to attach a sling with QD sockets to your rifle.   After rereading maybe you were instead askin for ways to mount myself and HE.  

Front mount:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/keymod-qd-rl-sling-mount/

Rear Mount:

Either sling through the vertical slot at the rear of the stock, or swap the Receiver end plate for the one V9 mentioned above*. Swapping the end plate should take minimal effort and about 5 minutes.

* IWC makes the same end plate so you could one-stop-shop it.

ETA: The back of the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock has a hole to install a sling cup. The problem is the sling cup costs almost as much as stock itself.

41 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Hmmmm..... Intriguing. Tell me more.....

I was kidding.  

All my defensive rifles have lights and sling mounts.  

All my defensive handguns have holsters and a light.

It's that simple.

• Like 1

Lets Segway this, a bit.

where do you mount your 2point slings on your rifle's

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Then I'm confused what your original question was asking. I thought it was how to attach a sling with QD sockets to your rifle.   After rereading maybe you were instead askin for ways to mount myself and HE.  

No.... I have that intel

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Lets Segway this, a bit.

where do you mount your 2point slings on your rifle's

For the most control/stability while slung with your hands off the gun you want the sling mounts as far apart as possible.

For best ability to manipulate the weapon - load, reload, clear malfunctions, switch shoulders - you want the sling ends mounted as close as possible.

You need to find a compromise that gives you stability and ability.

I prefer the rear sling mount to be as close to the receiver end plate as possible. 

I mount the front attachment point between 1/3 and 2/3 the way out on the hand guard.

This give me a good balance between room to manipulate the rifle, stability, and positive control when slung.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

For the most control/stability while slung with your hands off the gun you want the sling mounts as far apart as possible.

For best ability to manipulate the weapon - load, reload, clear malfunctions, switch shoulders - you want the sling ends mounted as close as possible.

You need to find a compromise that gives you stability and ability.

I prefer the rear sling mount to be as close to the receiver end plate as possible. 

I mount the front attachment point between 1/3 and 2/3 the way out on the hand guard.

This give me a good balance between room to manipulate the rifle, stability, and positive control when slung.

I'm thinking, watching, researching butt plate ish and front magwell ish. 

You are shifting this 1/3 forward; explain

13 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Front mount:

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/keymod-qd-rl-sling-mount/

Rear Mount:

Either sling through the vertical slot at the rear of the stock, or swap the Receiver end plate for the one V9 mentioned above*. Swapping the end plate should take minimal effort and about 5 minutes.

* IWC makes the same end plate so you could one-stop-shop it.

ETA: The back of the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock has a hole to install a sling cup. The problem is the sling cup costs almost as much as stock itself.

I have the Magpul fixed carbine stock. You can thread the hole in the stock and install the grove tech slip cups. Midway sells them in pairs for like $5. Much cheaper than the magpul version and they are anti-rotation. I'll post up a link tomorrow

Edit: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/972000/grovtec-sling-swivel-bases-push-button-limited-rotation-steel-black

$7.

• Like 1