revenger

national reciprocity and paul ryan

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

THANKS for posting his number. gonna call now. wonder if we can get away with cross posting this into general discussion and 1st lounge for more vis.....

Gowdy is either not in charge of subcommittee now, or Bob( sumtin is pushing) ( I can't know all the reps names)

and they enjoy calls from Americans that live in jersey.

just talked to one of his office workers. brant or brent i think it was. dude was very receptive, and very appreciative sounding for all of the support they've been getting. i pretty much asked them to do anything they had to do(legally of course) to get that bill moving.

very friendly sounding young man.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

just talked to one of his office workers. brant or brent i think it was. dude was very receptive, and very appreciative sounding for all of the support they've been getting. i pretty much asked them to do anything they had to do(legally of course) to get that bill moving.

very friendly sounding young man.

You'll be the only other guy here that calls

On 9/13/2017 at 4:44 PM, raz-0 said:

I'm going to quote a poster from a discussion on this elsewhere because I really can't put it any better myself. 

But, but there are so many co-sponsors!!

I explained to someone a few months back that a spike in co-sponsors – especially from those in tight electoral districts – means a bill is dead. The spike means the bill is being used as an opportunity to take credit for supporting something (reciprocity) without the harm of it becoming law. So a co-sponsor can go back and say, “Hell, I even co-sponsored the bill!” when in reality they are whispering to the House Speaker, “I really don’t want to take that vote before my election.”

When Ryan says the timing is not right, that’s what he meant. Right now GOP members get to have it both ways – “supporting” reciprocity while not being responsible for it passing.

Proof: There are enough co-sponsors today on HR 38 (the reciprocity act) that they can pretty much force a floor vote even without a committee vote. If they want this out of the House, they can do it without Ryan.

Of course, that would assume “co-sponsor” is someone wishing to pass the bill into law, instead of someone looking to virtue signal on a bill that will never become law. So don’t hold your breath.

^^^THIS^^^

I couldn't put it better.  I've lived through it to see it happen dozens of times.  And don't forget, there's safety in numbers:  with so many co-sponsors, it becomes harder & harder to single-out the individual Congressman and fight them on this Bill.  And they can all claim "I supported it when it counted".  And all of the naive keep lapping it up & asking for more!