Njsarge

Budget optic for an AR

I was looking for an optic for my ar. I would like to be able to shoot out to 300 yds. I wanted a vortex strike eagle but it's close to $500 with the rings. Was looking to spend under $300 with the mounting. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email Vortex. They have an excellent good -guy discount for first responders and military (I'm assuming by your screen name you fall into this category).

I have a Strike Eagle 1-6 (there is also a 1-8). I am very happy with it. It's a lot of glass for the money. It is worth it to save a little longer if it comes to that.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:30 AM, Njsarge said:

I was looking for an optic for my ar. I would like to be able to shoot out to 300 yds. I wanted a vortex strike eagle but it's close to $500 with the rings. Was looking to spend under $300 with the mounting. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define what you want to shoot up to 300yds.  A 1" dot? A man sized silhouette? 8" pie plate?

It matters.

The Vortex SE is defiantly good out to 300, that said I’m not a fan of the reticle.  It’s a bit chunky  and the entire reticle lights up to not day light bright.  I’m think about something like a fire dot from Leupold as a set up in the near future.

Primary Arms is a great option. 

Vortex will direct you The ExpertVoice app, create a profile, join a group that confirms you are a good guy, take the vortex test and then you will be eligible for a discount. 

IMO shooting a 10" plate at 300 yards with a 2moa dot gets to be challenging. Even a 4x will make it a ton easier. 

If you can get a discount from vortex, check it out. You can get it $299.99 all the time from SWFA. 

For a mount, aero precision SPR is good, and normally $95. It occasionally goes on sale for ~$75. 

I don't think you can really do better for less than the above combo. Might be worth subscribing to DVOR for sales. Both come up semi-regularly with them and the prices cna be good.