Golf battery

To remove cover or not

". . . all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention."

fyi.  Military veterans and such do not have to remove their covers.  Salute and carry on during the national anthem. I learned this from the Marine Corps League.  

• Like 3

We teach the Boy Scouts to use Boy Scout salute with cover ON for all flag ceremonies, National Anthem, etc.  If attending a function in civvies, we teach them to uncover since most of the time the cover isn't a Scout cover.

Just out of curiosity (since I have wondered), is the "salute" exclusive to military/veterans only?   Would it be bad form for a "civilian" to salute (if done properly and in good faith) if they wished to do so, as opposed to "hand over heart?"  I recall, as a HS underclassman, being at one of the "commencement" ceremonies (with local LE present to watch over things) and seeing one of the LEOs salute at the National Anthem as opposed to hand over heart. Now, it's possible that he was a veteran, but I don't know. 

As for "cover" on or off, is not the location a factor as well?  That is,  cover "outdoors"   uncover "indoors?"  Some of my initial EMT training was at the Bergen County Police & Fire Academy in Mahwah, and I recall there being signs near the outer entrance to the building. As you entered, is says "Uncover..." with a drawing of a man without his cover on.  One the way out, the opposite sign "Cover" with the converse drawing (man with cover on).

3 hours ago, Danno said:

As for "cover" on or off, is not the location a factor as well?  That is,  cover "outdoors"   uncover "indoors?"

Unless you are from Texas a gentleman never wears a hat indoors.

Hey, my momma taught me to always remove my cover indoors!! 

3 hours ago, Danno said:

As for "cover" on or off, is not the location a factor as well?  That is,  cover "outdoors"   uncover "indoors?"

Unless you are from Texas a gentleman never wears a hat indoors.

Military when "under arms" do not remove headgear indoors.  In addition to carrying a weapon wearing a web belt is considered "under arms".  That is why you see a color guard indoors wear headgear.

If you are outdoors in uniform one would salute with cover on.  If you are indoors in uniform and not under arms you would salute without headgear.

I had someone seriously tell me if a cop wasn't wearing his or her hat they were out of uniform and had no authority to arrest you.  They found out this wasn't so.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

... I had someone seriously tell me if a cop wasn't wearing his or her hat they were out of uniform and had no authority to arrest you.  They found out this wasn't so.

Haha. Just like people think if a police officer is outside his jurisdiction, he can't arrest you. Whatwa

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

So I "may" salute the flag even now?  Ha, I had no idea.  Not that I would do it since I work for the board of ed and hear it every day.

I believe the salute is held only for current military, veterans and those in uniform of the United States.  More to read to get technical with that. 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:16 AM, Displaced Texan said:

Navy always called it a cover. At least while I was in. Never refered to my cover as a 'hat', or 'headgear'. 

As did us Coasties.  At least while I was in.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:54 PM, GRIZ said:

If you are outdoors in uniform one would salute with cover on.  If you are indoors in uniform and not under arms you would salute without headgear.

I had someone seriously tell me if a cop wasn't wearing his or her hat they were out of uniform and had no authority to arrest you.  They found out this wasn't so.

I've heard that from someone too. To me it made "some" sense. If the hat is part of their official uniforms, then it would need to be worn. However, while they maybe out of uniform, that seems to be an issue for the cop, and has no bearing on his ability to perform his powers. 

If a cops shirt becomes untucked, does he lose his powers? Or if his hat ever falls off in a scuffle? Seems like a stupid issue that would be a procedural issue looked at internally.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I've heard that from someone too. To me it made "some" sense. If the hat is part of their official uniforms, then it would need to be worn. However, while they maybe out of uniform, that seems to be an issue for the cop, and has no bearing on his ability to perform his powers. 

If a cops shirt becomes untucked, does he lose his powers? Or if his hat ever falls off in a scuffle? Seems like a stupid issue that would be a procedural issue looked at internally.

If you look at statutes on how to effect an arrest they all say something like "after exhibiting evidence of authority".  This can be a uniform, badge, or other identification (raid jacket, "POLICE" on body armor carrier, etc).