fatty

Tavor / X95 Zeroing distance

At what distance do you guys sight in your Tavor/X95's?  I've got a 1/2" riser on my Tavor SAR, so the height over bore is roughly 4" making things a bit inconvenient.

Could I get away with using the ballistics chart for a 100 yard zero and just compensate for the distance?  I understand it's not ideal...  but according to the chart my POI should be 1.5" low at 50 yards, so I'm thinking to just mark a few targets as such?  A 100yard zero is so much flatter than a 50zero out a little past 200 yards.

50 yard zero = 5.3" high at 200 yards

100 yard zero = 0.63" low at 200 yards

I believe their sights are at 100. Unlike a lot of complaints, mine out of the box was spot on at 100. So, did my optics the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a ballistic calculator on your phone. Plug in your scope line over bore height, your bullet and bullet velocity, and start playing with different zero's in the app and look at the resulting trajectories.

Keep in mind that different bullets at different velocities will behave very differently, so pick your bullet wisely.

There are a few apps you can choose from, Strelok and Ballistic first come to mind.

One you find a trajectory that matches your preference, look at its zero distance and use that or look at the offset at 100 and zero at 100 so you have the same offset. Then verify at different distances that the trajectory matches what was calculated.

I use Ballistic AE... very good app for that... also MD Ballistics. Also very good. I have all of them. ;)
I have Strelok but it gives me a headache. Dunno how that app has such a following. Ugly and difficult to navigate if you don't use it a lot.

I struggled with the Strelok app for several months before I finally got the hang of it.

The best part of that app (for me at least) has been the MPBR formula. I used that function to to figure out the maximum point blank range for XM193 ammo and used that data to zero my Tavor and AR. The Tavor has a Vortex Strikefire in a ADM mount.

The formula had me zero both guns at about 1.5" high at 100 yards and this gets me point-and-shoot at 200 yards using a  6-inch target (or whatetver the exact yardage is at the base of the berm at Range 14). 

Thanks guys.  I just used www.shooterscalculator.com to get some quick figures and it gives a lot of info.  I have strelok on my phone but it gives me a headache as well so I resorted to my laptop and just printed out a few charts.

I guess I'll go with my original plan and set a few targets POA > POI (-1.5") to mimick a 100yard zero and verify once I can get to an actual 100 yard range lol

I chatted via email with the Strelok guy. IMHO, not the best programmer. Cartoonish, etc. I asked him a simple question. When he adds scopes, could he sort them in alphabetical order so you can browse them easier. Also, the Brand of scope before the other info. He said, why? Just search. Now I'm not a programmer, at least not for decades. But I'm sure most of the info in that ap is called up within a database of sort. Seems just like laziness.  Every other app can be browsed except his. I'll reiterate. Ballistic AE or MD Ballistics. MD is nice but the author does not keep up with it. AE, the author is always on the ball.

I dunno if Ballistic is available on Android, I use it on an iphone. Strelok should be available on both, and both work equally well with Strelok having more reticle information. 

I think that getting used to these sort of apps is really important specially if you want to make calculations on the range. I often do my maths on the range with chrono out to measure the velocity and paper targets to verify the results. Once you have it figured out once, you dont have to worry about unless you change ammo. 

Most of the published manufacturers ammo velocities will based on 20" barrels, and sometimes as long as 24". Few publish velocities for shorter barrels. M193 is nominally 3,260 fps from a 20" barrel but you are using a 16" barrel you are going to see significantly lower velocities. Depending on individual barrel, powder, etc you may be as low as 3,000 fps which will make a significant difference as the range gets longer and will throw all the math into disarray, and a high sight over bore only makes those errors larger. If you really want to know your trajectory you must know how fast the bullets are leaving YOUR gun, not even one like it. 

On 9/13/2017 at 6:45 AM, bhunted said:

I use Ballistic AE... very good app for that... also MD Ballistics. Also very good. I have all of them. ;)
I have Strelok but it gives me a headache. Dunno how that app has such a following. Ugly and difficult to navigate if you don't use it a lot.

Ballistic ae.   I can not still get it to work correctly for me.  Iphone.     Id prefer strelock but you need an android for that. Right??

Ballistic ae.   I can not still get it to work correctly for me.  Iphone.     Id prefer strelock but you need an android for that. Right??

Strelok is on iphone. Not sure about Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/13/2017 at 6:45 AM, bhunted said:

Ballistic ae.   I can not still get it to work correctly for me.  Iphone.     Id prefer strelock but you need an android for that. Right??   Ok.  Ill check on that.