mustang69

Chainsaws and Weed Wackers - mostly Stihl

23 posts in this topic

Someone asked me about chainsaws a while back and I didn't have anything at the time.  Now I have several, all sizes.

• Stihl 021 12" bar - $125 - great little saw for trimming
  • SOLD Stihl 025 16" bar - $150 - good all-around saw for yard work
  • SOLD Stihl MS290 20" bar - $200 - most popular saw Stihl makes - great for felling and cutting firewood, yard cleanup, etc
  • SOLD Stihl MS311 20" bar - $200 - like the MS290 but a bit larger and heavier
  • John Deere CS62 - 16" bar - $100 - good all-around size but I don't have any experience with them.

For Weedwackers I have more than I can count - mostly Stihl straight-shaft.  $100 each.  A couple curved shaft models $50.

All run like they're supposed to.

Let me know if you're interested, I haven't advertised them yet on Craigslist, will probably take them to the Raceway Park swap meet at the end of the month.

I have a small electric wheedwhacker right now but I need to clear out some scrub brush...  Not sure if I should go with a chainsaw or pole saw or a larger gas powered whacker.  Your recs?

Can any of the Stihl weed whackers change attachments to like a pole saw?  I've seen some Echo gas trimmers that have pole saw attachments/edger/tiller/etc. attachments.

Krdshrk, for scrub bush get a weed wacker that will take different trimmers and heads.  Also consider handlebars when cutting brush,  The Stihl FS91 takes trimmer heads as well as different metal blades for brush.  Do not use a chainsaw on brush, you'll dull the chain in record speed and your back will thank you later,  For me Stihl has been the answer to woodlot projects.  Dealers everywhere for parts in a hurry, lots of aftermarket availability.  When you look at US Forest Service and well as professional loggers and tree arborists, they always have a Stihl in their hands, got to be a reason.

2 people like this

I have a John Deere weed whacker that can take the Ryobi pole saw attachment (and the other Ryobi attachments) available at Home Depot.  THis is a light-duty unit but it will work.  I used something similar until I got my Echo pole saw.

The Stihl weed whackers I have will take different heads for cutting various brush sizes.  They all come with string heads but there are cutting heads available from the dealer and online.

Electric is nice and simple but my experience is you need something more powerful for brush.  I'm partial to Stihl but Echo and Redmax are good brands too.

Clearing brush is back breaking work, no matter what you use.  We clear brush with commercial trimmers (weed whackers) using a blade that looks a bit like a circular saw blade.  It rips through just about everything 3" and under and gets the job done fast.

1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Clearing brush is back breaking work, no matter what you use.  We clear brush with commercial trimmers (weed whackers) using a blade that looks a bit like a circular saw blade.  It rips through just about everything 3" and under and gets the job done fast.

Do the circular saw type blades work better than the 3-prong type blades?  

2 hours ago, mustang69 said:

I have a John Deere weed whacker that can take the Ryobi pole saw attachment (and the other Ryobi attachments) available at Home Depot.  THis is a light-duty unit but it will work.  I used something similar until I got my Echo pole saw.

The Stihl weed whackers I have will take different heads for cutting various brush sizes.  They all come with string heads but there are cutting heads available from the dealer and online.

Electric is nice and simple but my experience is you need something more powerful for brush.  I'm partial to Stihl but Echo and Redmax are good brands too.

Potentially interested in a Stihl from you.  Pretty sure they're all 2-stroke right?  

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Potentially interested in a Stihl from you.  Pretty sure they're all 2-stroke right?  

I never tried the circular blades so can't comment on them.  

All of them are 2-stroke.  

22 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I've never used a 3 prong type blade.  We use two different kinds depending on what we are cutting through.  Knocking down areas with saplings up to 3", we use a finer tooth blade like below. When clearing really thick overgrown areas with thick clumps of field grass, chest high weeds and small saplings an inch and under we use a coarse tooth blade like the bottom image.

As with a chain saw, keep the trimmer blade out of the dirt.  It dulls it.

51CgK+E+U3L.jpg

36286d6e-8b08-40dd-a5f0-1383c58cab7a_100

1 person likes this

Tri-blades work great with weeds and thick grasses where the stalks are not "tree" like, just thick and green.  Tri-blade does not get all entangled. Saw type blades will.  Another thing to think about.  Be prepared to do this in long sleeve shirts, pants, gloves, hat, and some type of face shield.  That shredded crap goes everywhere.  Learn to identify poison ivy, oak, and sumac or it will be a hell of a following week at work. (get Tecnu on Amazon by the quart), I am now hearing if you wash with Dawn as soon as your done it works as well Tecnu, have not tried it yet.  Remember it gets all over the tools too!  BTDTGTTS

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

This is what I have to cut down... 

You may want to pick up that 16" Sthil 025 chainsaw too.  When we knock down brush like that, we use three things.  Trimmer with a blade, chainsaw and also a gas powered hedge trimmer.

19 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Thanks...  @T Bill - I already have some TecNu from my last bout with Poison Ivy...  Definitely going to have to get some more. 

@mustang69 - whatcha got for me for Weedwhackers? Got any pics?

I have a couple of FS90's and some other smaller models.  They all run great but have been used, so cosmetics vary.  No pics, haven't been able to figure out how to post them in a reply.

PM me a cell number and I'll text them.