louu

Quinton 3 Gun Sunday September 24th.

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

WOOHOO!!!!!!

i had exactly TWO goals at this shoot. well.....three....

1) most importantly, 'cause screwing this one up screws up EVERYones time, as well as making 2 and 3 impossible to do.......be safe. i was successful.

2) have fun. i literally had a blast. it might sound stupid, but there was a lot to take in in-between shooting. i was successful. 

3) not come in last. i figured if i could at least not come in in last place, i accomplished something besides learning. i'm happy to say upon looking at the scores, i wasn't last place!!  i was awful dam close, but i wasn't. :D

now.....if anyone's got the time......can you explain to a noob how to actually read that scoring? or point said noob in the direction to read how to read it?

now that i got a groovy/cool new shottie....i should  be able to improve by at least one place. and to add to the cool factor, i ain't tuckin' my hair up under my cap next month. ha!

The scoring is very easy, it's time plus penalties. Which means you're your raw, time say you ran a stage in 60 seconds and had one failure to engage paper which is + 25 seconds so your total time would be 85 seconds. 

Congrats on the new shotgun. Now you just need a decent belt, some shotgun shell caddies and you're all set.

haven't made it to the range yet. got family stuff to do this weekend, so not gonna make it this weekend. next weekend i think is the next match?

so what i did, was put a laser bore sighter in my rifle(with the chamber flag in obviously). used a rangefinder to spot 25 yards, and set a "Q" target up. shouldered the rifle, and boy was the eotech off. it was higher than the bore laser, and slightly left. took about 14 clicks verticle and 6 or 7 horizontal to bring them together. that's gonna hafta be my starting point for next week. guess that explains how poorly i did with the rifle. i'm not really sure how it got so far off though, as i've shot that rifle accurately before.....

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

haven't made it to the range yet. got family stuff to do this weekend, so not gonna make it this weekend. next weekend i think is the next match?

so what i did, was put a laser bore sighter in my rifle(with the chamber flag in obviously). used a rangefinder to spot 25 yards, and set a "Q" target up. shouldered the rifle, and boy was the eotech off. it was higher than the bore laser, and slightly left. took about 14 clicks verticle and 6 or 7 horizontal to bring them together. that's gonna hafta be my starting point for next week. guess that explains how poorly i did with the rifle. i'm not really sure how it got so far off though, as i've shot that rifle accurately before.....

You should consider setting your zero at 50yards or 100yards instead of just 25. 25 is fine to get your hits on paper initially but I would really dial it in further. No reason not to, since you have a range large enough. Then shoot at multiple distances 1 yard, 10 yard, 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard and 200 yard and record your hits. Depending on where you zero, you will have different holds for each distance. Knowing those by memory is key. I personally prefer prefer a 100 yard zero for Quinton 3Gun since that’s furthest we shoot. Holdovers are simple, hold 3 inch high for everything 1-50 yards and POA/POI for almost everything 50-100. If our matches had longer distances I would do a 50 yard zero

i honestly though 25 would have me on paper at that and 100. i wasn't able to get to the range, so i distanced myself 25 yards from my firewood. and hung a target there, then used the laser bore sighter. sucked 'cause even though it's perfectly legal, i put the rifle down outta sight every time a car came by. i had to be right up at my front property line to have the distance. i didn't want my local pd coming out 'cause some $%^ called them due to a guy with a rifle in the yard.

9 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

50 yard zero is my preference even when you aren't shooting past 100.  Unless the targets are golf ball sized and 25 yards or closer, it's POA/POI out to 100 yards.  the + - 1.5" through the trajectory is pretty meaningless 

True but depends on what your shooting. I see someone every month at a match shoot a non threat target at least once if not multiple times. Vision a threat target flanked vertically by non threat targets both above and below it. Stages are often built that way to be challenging and for those that don’t know their holdovers end up confused as to why they hit the hostage. 

I’ve ran the 50 yard zero my whole life until most recently specifically only if shooting at Quinton or a 100 yard range. Different strokes for different folks but either can work. The best best zero is the one you train with and know well.  

i'll give it a try for next year. seeing as i know i'm not gonna make the range before next week, i just wanted it better than it was last month. during the winter, i'll re-zero it, and i'll shoot at diff. distances to figure out where i need to put the dot in order to hit.

i did notice that with it zero'd at 25 that as i walked it in, at about 8'ish yards, the bores laser was showint about an inch below the red dot. i couldn't legitmatley walk out into the street or my neighbors yards across the street to see what happened when i took it out farther......