IgorB

Moving to NJ from NYC - how do I transfer my guns?

Hello everyone.

We're seriously considering moving from NYC to NJ within the next year. I currently possess NYC handgun and NYC rifle/shotgun licenses which I'll have to give up when we move. I'm intending to apply for equivalent NJ licenses as soon as we move and I'd really like to keep most of my guns I currently own in NYC. How can I legally do that? 

Right now I have the following handguns:

Sig P226 9mm - Would love to keep it, but can sell and get a new one once I get my NJ license.

Desert Eagle .44 Win-Mag - which I intend to sell

M1895 Nagant revolver 7.62mm - that's the one I'm not willing to part with

Rifles:

SKS 7.62 - Will sell if these are not legal in NJ

IZHMASH Biathlon .22 LR - would like to keep it

3 Mosin-Nagant rifles, one is a sniper version - would love to keep all 3.

Has anyone had any experience moving from NYC and re-obtaining their licenses/guns? I was thinking transferring the guns to a licensed NJ resident via a FFL dealer and transferring back once I get my licenses, but there are quite a few pitfalls with that. Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks.

Technically, as long as they are NJ legal, you don't need to do anything.  It would be wise to apply for a NJ firearms purchaser id card aka fid or fpid card.  Though NJ is not exactly 2a friendly, it's not as bad as NYC.  There is lots of info on the subject here, questions asked and answered a million times, just look for it.

Everything you currently own in NYC should be legal here. Nothing to do in NJ to keep them. There is no mandatory registration or permit needed to own them.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

You're good to go with those firearms. As another poster said apply for your Firearms Purchase ID Card. as soon as you move to NJ. You won't be able to get ammo for the Sig or the Nagant revolver without it.

On the plus side for at least the next few months you can order ammo online and have it delivered to your home. Once the Gubernatorial election is over all bets are off.

Welcome to the frying pan from the fire.

Edited by brucin
added a thought
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone. 

My real concern is what I do with my guns in the period when I move to NJ and get my licenses. NYC requires me to either surrender my guns or show how I disposed of them when I hand in my licenses, so I'm looking for a way to legally "store" them with a FFL dealer or a store. I'm actually looking forward to moving to NJ and not have to deal with ridiculously bad NYC laws or having to drive 2 hrs to a range. 

6 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

None of that is N.J. legal and must be sold only to me.  J/k you’re gtg.  What are you looking to get for the de 44?  What finish? 

It's black matte. I bought the gun around 2002 and put less than 2000 rounds through it - shot a box of 50 every 6 months or so when ammo became too expensive. Haven't shot it in about 3 years because I can't mail-order ammo any longer (Hello NYC!) and don't go out much to where gun stores are. I'll throw in a couple of boxes of brass if you reload. I'll need to do some research on pricing and more importantly - local FFL guy to do the transfer. I'm very reasonable and easy to negotiate with as far as price goes. 

Let your NY licenses just expire if you will be in NJ with your firearms by then. At that point, you are legal here and if they inquire, the answer is: moved to NJ with all my firearms. Frankly, they have no jurisdiction over you once you live here for good with them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SJG said:

Let your NY licenses just expire if you will be in NJ with your firearms by then. At that point, you are legal here and if they inquire, the answer is: moved to NJ with all my firearms. Frankly, they have no jurisdiction over you once you live here for good with them.

Exactly. Once you cross over, NYC has no jurisdiction over you anymore. Their laws hold no authority on this side of the river! 

10 minutes ago, orangesolo said:

Exactly. Once you cross over, NYC has no jurisdiction over you anymore. Their laws hold no authority on this side of the river! 

But then, crossing into NJ and possessing my guns without a proper NJ license isn't exactly legal either. 

12 minutes ago, IgorB said:

But then, crossing into NJ and possessing my guns without a proper NJ license isn't exactly legal either. 

Nope. Under FOPA you are legally allowed to cross into NJ.

Under NJ State law, you are within legal grounds to bring your firearms to your new residence w/o any sort of paperwork. All registration is voluntary for anything bought outside of NJ.

Your NJ license aka FID is not needed unless you want to purchase firearms/ammo while you are in NJ.

12 minutes ago, IgorB said:

There is an exemption for possession while moving. Someone will post the statutes. 

2015 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE
Section 2C:39-6 - Exemptions.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2015/title-2c/section-2c-39-6/

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IgorB said:

There is NO NJ LICENSE REQUIRED to keep firearms at YOUR NJ HOME.  Every word of this is sentence is important to understand to be in compliance with NJ law. 

As long as YOU HAVE YOUR HOME IN NJ, you can move NJ Compliant Firearms (make/model) to that NJ home under both FOPA (federal) and NJ law, as long as they are packed and transported as suggested. 

• Like 1

As said before, NJ has NO registration requirement. Move your guns to NJ put them in your new home. Done. Contact NYC and tell them you moved, they might want the permits back or something. Not sure, but u don't want NYC fucking with you if you spend time there. 

FOPA doesn't apply(that's for drive thru states), but NJ law allows you to transport any firearm you own to your home. Registered or not. 

On 9/15/2017 at 7:02 PM, SJG said:

This reminds me of a story a guy told me who moved from LI to PA shortly after renewing his driver license in NY. He owned about 5 handguns and just picked up and left without notifying NY that he moved. When his NY handgun permits expired, the NYSP went looking for him but couldn't find him since he hadn't bothered to get a PA driver license. Once his NY DL expired he got a PA DL - 3 years or so after moving. A few months later he gets a call from the PASP asking if he owns certain handguns and he says yes, and then asks if he still has them in his possession, and he says yes. They then said OK thank you and were going to end the phone call, but he asks them what this was all about? They then told him that the NYSP had been repeatedly calling and insisting that the PASP go to his house to physically verify that he was still in possession of the handguns. The PASP told him that they couldn't be bothered with doing that and were going to call the NYSP back and tell them he still had the guns.

To your point, what is NY going to do once you move to NJ? As long as the guns are NJ legal (I can't imagine anything legal in NYC is illegal in NJ) you can just move to NJ with them, no paperwork is required. As others have said, maybe the OP should turn in the NY permit once safely in NJ as a courtesy?

The more I think about this, there may be one benefit of notifying NY: If you do not have a record of what your serial numbers are and the guns are stolen in NJ  perhaps that would be of benefit to law enforcement in NJ?

I guessing there is probably an established procedure that thousands of others have followed by now as far as mailing NYC gun licenses back to NYPD's Records Division once you're safely IN New Jersey?  While transporting guns thru NYC, do it WITH all of your NYC paperwork.  Once you cross the Hudson, at some point (presumably noted on the license or application thereof) you'll need to surrender your NYC permits to avoid any harassment such as Oak Ridge Firearms mentioned above^^^.  Of course it goes w/o saying, that since NYC licenses are "Rare Birds", a trip to the copier PRIOR to surrender would be called for :) .  Follow whatever mailing/shipping procedures for the documents that the NYPD Records Division deems necessary (Certified Mail?).  If surrender instructions are not printed on your documents, call any NYC gun store (like near Little Italy) as they should know & be able to read you the Riot Act verbatim.  After-all, you're not the only Escapee from the Hell that is NYC!

Welcome to NJ, WHERE FUN GOES TO DIE!  If you need any other help, just give us a shout!

Dave Rosenthal, VP

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

http://www.cnjfo.com 

21 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

I guessing there is probably an established procedure that thousands of others have followed by now as far as mailing NYC gun licenses back to NYPD's Records Division once you're safely IN New Jersey?  While transporting guns thru NYC, do it WITH all of your NYC paperwork.  Once you cross the Hudson, at some point (presumably noted on the license or application thereof) you'll need to surrender your NYC permits to avoid any harassment such as Oak Ridge Firearms mentioned above^^^.  Of course it goes w/o saying, that since NYC licenses are "Rare Birds", a trip to the copier PRIOR to surrender would be called for :) .  Follow whatever mailing/shipping procedures for the documents that the NYPD Records Division deems necessary (Certified Mail?).  If surrender instructions are not printed on your documents, call any NYC gun store (like near Little Italy) as they should know & be able to read you the Riot Act verbatim.  After-all, you're not the only Escapee from the Hell that is NYC!

Welcome to NJ, WHERE FUN GOES TO DIE!  If you need any other help, just give us a shout!

Dave Rosenthal, VP

Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners (CNJFO)

http://www.cnjfo.com 

This.

Move your guns to your new permanent location and then send NYC their paperwork back.

Honestly, I'd hesitate to provide them any information on the disposition of any of your guns.

Depending on your needs and the logistics of your planned move, recommend you consider the firearm  services provided by Gunsitters in Whippany, N.J.   (Google them) and whether those services are of interest to you.  For example, you might choose to move all your guns there first. Then retrieve them later after you have moved your household to NJ. They are an FFL so I assume it would be legal for you to transport them there.