bhunted

Estimate for Generator Gas Line.

Currently looking to get a ball park estimate with possible contract to install a Gas Line out to my generator. Northern NJ location.

Gas meter recently updated by PSEG due to being outdated.

Gen is about 40ft from meter but there is a gas line feeding a dryer closer if that helps. Meter and lines are in basement.

Would be nice if it can be use it to feed my grill when not feeding gen... If not, no biggy.

Anyone interested either drop info here or pm me.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you are even somewhat handy, do it yourself! I ran natural gas pipes and flex in my house. Home Depot or Lowes will cut and thread the pipes to your specification. Then just run them with whatever elbows or couplings you need with pipe dope. Just check your local code regs. Really easier than it seems! You can do it John!:) And save a shit ton of money.

Thanks JB.... I was told that pseg has to come down and check pressures and stuff.
I don't doubt I can [emoji106]do it. Just don't want to mess code etc.

Checking to into US Trifuel adapters. Enables gas, propane and ng.
Any intell appreciated.[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure how old your house is - but make sure your NG line can handle it.  I know my brand new house my builder told PSEG that we're putting in a 7KW Generator (though I haven't yet).  They sized the gas line properly with the extended capacity for the generator.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Not sure how old your house is - but make sure your NG line can handle it.  I know my brand new house my builder told PSEG that we're putting in a 7KW Generator (though I haven't yet).  They sized the gas line properly with the extended capacity for the generator.

Really? Unless you're running every other gas appliance, a 7kw generator really shouldn't draw enough to require anything crazy.. One of those 15kw or 30kw standby units is another story..

1 minute ago, Lambo2936 said:

Really? Unless you're running every other gas appliance, a 7kw generator really shouldn't draw enough to require anything crazy.. One of those 15kw or 30kw standby units is another story..

I dunno - I was told by the builder that they put in a larger gas line because of it.

Just now, Krdshrk said:

I dunno - I was told by the builder that they put in a larger gas line because of it.

I mean i guess it couldn't hurt, but my 8KW gasoline generator ran all day long after sandy on a single tank. Not about to do the maths but the NG equivalent would probably be like running your stove top.. lol

I mean i guess it couldn't hurt, but my 8KW gasoline generator ran all day long after sandy on a single tank. Not about to do the maths but the NG equivalent would probably be like running your stove top.. lol

Not even close. 8kw generator is about 120,000BTU entire average range is 60,000BTU. Running a single burner 5,000-25,000BTU (Power Boil Burner). 

You need to add up the total BTU on the line and take total distance. Easiest way is it tap off the line at the meter. You will usually still have to increase gas pipe, but only for a short distance, because generator is the first hit. Also regulators can be used.

If you are installing a 10kw generator BTU jumps to 200,000BTU, 20KW approx 320,000BTU. That's why salesmen will push the 8kw, but if you want to run entire house it is usually way undersized. I have yet to encounter a house generator can't be installed, but many times meter must be increased in size and it is a matter of cost.

40' from meter on meter side will require proper sizing and piping should be underground if the 40' is away from the house. If other side of the house and 40' is through the basement regulators are the best bet. Otherwise all piping must be increased because no longer is generator first hit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Not even close. 8kw generator is about 120,000BTU entire average range is 60,000BTU. Running a single burner 5,000-25,000BTU (Power Boil Burner).

Yup.  My stove is a high powered one and it's at 75K BTU if everything was on full (including oven).

Just looked up a Generac 7.5K Generator - 50% load is 73K BTU.  100% load is 117K BTU.

That's a lotta gas draw!

Sounds like a project. I currently have a Generac RS7000E.
Originally, when was considering a whole house gen. They recommended an 8.5-10kw if I wanted whole house covered.
That was actually with gen, a $10k bill that I didn't have at the time. I currently have 30 gals of gas treated and stowed away for it. I dread those red bottle gas lines we've seen in the past.
So either NG or many propane tanks.

My house is old. If you are talking the main from the street, forget it. If only inside, they are all accessible from the basement.
We only have a gas water heater, furnace, dryer and a stove.

You measure actual pipe from the meter. Is your gas meter in the basement? My guess is you only have 3/4" or 1" gas pipe correct? Right now you are running a minimum 225,000BTU assume that generator adds 120,000BTU that is a total load of 345,000BTU.

Sounds about right. So is those numbers feasible to run it to the gen using those sizes. Incidently, I found this chart from US Carb.

https://www.motorsnorkel.com/installation-pipe-sizing?___SID=U

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newjersey/NJ_FuelGas/FuelGas_Frameset.htm

If you look under Chapter 4 (page 3) there is a chart of capacity based on distance and pipe size. It's in CFM, so you'd need to convert it to BTU. 

Would one measure the diameter of the pipe coming into the meter, or out of it? If I remember correctly the pipe coming in is thicker than the pipe going out.

Edit: If it is in fact being restricted, I assume a larger pipe can be put in, but can a reducer be installed instead of replacing all the gas pipe in the house?

• Like 1

I have the 20kw on my house and it draws a lot but I’ve never had an issue.  Well both times I was running my house off of it.  In my view they are priceless. 

19 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I have the 20kw on my house and it draws a lot but I’ve never had an issue.  Well both times I was running my house off of it.  In my view they are priceless. 

Did you change your gas lines?

10 hours ago, capt14k said:

You need to add up the total BTU on the line and take total distance. Easiest way is it tap off the line at the meter. You will usually still have to increase gas pipe, but only for a short distance, because generator is the first hit. Also regulators can be used.

If you are installing a 10kw generator BTU jumps to 200,000BTU, 20KW approx 320,000BTU. That's why salesmen will push the 8kw, but if you want to run entire house it is usually way undersized. I have yet to encounter a house generator can't be installed, but many times meter must be increased in size and it is a matter of cost.

40' from meter on meter side will require proper sizing and piping should be underground if the 40' is away from the house. If other side of the house and 40' is through the basement regulators are the best bet. Otherwise all piping must be increased because no longer is generator first hit.

The line AFTER the meter, yes, not from the curb TO the meter, i dont think. After the meter id imagine its a necessity.

I did mean the entire stove top BTW. My mom has one of those crazy power burner stove tops that seem extremely inefficient because low is like what the high on the old one was; id bet that thing is well over 60k.

I like my portable gennies. Only thing id like is a bi/tri fuel setup. Propane doesnt go bad, gasoline does.

You measure from and increase the size of the pipe after the meter. 1 1/4" line will cover a 7kw generator but remember that 1 1/4" in size is until you get to the generator. If generator is last hit main trunk before that has to increase to 1 1/4". If you run from meter to generator 1 1/4" only has to be for generator and rest of pipe can remain because generator becomes the first hit.

Don't forget to count the future bbq grill.

You can use regulators as an alternative but they have to be at every appliance and are costly.

We had to increase gas pipe on a house from 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" because they added a 30kw generator, (2) tankless water heaters, bbq grill, and Eiklor 5 burner fireplace insert. Most fireplaces are 25,000BTU the Eiklor is 75,000BTU.

Just my opinion but you're over thinking it. This is for emergency's. Are you going to start the genset with all your other gas and electric  appliances running at the same time? No right? Just run 3/4" to the gen and call it good. I came off the line to my furnace (3/4") with a tee, a drop leg, a valve, and a quick disconnect. I run the hose that U.S. Carb offers to my gen. about 20' out my Bilko door. No genset under 13hp needs a feed more then 3/4" unless your going way far from your meter.

If you want to carry on like there is no emergency, get a real generator that will handle it and have it installed by professionals. Otherwise, make due with what you have. Pay more attention to what your bare bones needs are going to be during the emergency and how you're going to feed your electrical panel. What you know you don't need to run. You'll find that most of the time your gen will not be running under much of a load.

• Like 1

US Carb are the folks I'm considering. If there are no major needs for the gas line, I have a shorter run not far from the gen.
I should have said, I only care about the furnace, fridge and a tv or some other things I may have forgotten. I have no doubt it would be ran at 50% load or less.

I already ran multiple gen cables into basement from outside under the house. All I have to do is wheel it from the shelter, split up the loads and plug the main into the extensions. I just don't want to have to rely on gas nor do I like having all that gas laying around.
At lease with the converter I have 3 options.

3 minutes ago, bhunted said:

US Carb are the folks I'm considering. If there are no major needs for the gas line, I have a shorter run not far from the gen.
I should have said, I only care about the furnace, fridge and a tv or some other things I may have forgotten. I have no doubt it would be ran at 50% load or less.

I already ran multiple gen cables into basement from outside under the house. All I have to do is wheel it from the shelter, split up the loads and plug the main into the extensions. I just don't want to have to rely on gas nor do I like having all that gas laying around.
At lease with the converter I have 3 options.

Yup, an emergency means prioritize, minimize use. US Carb is what I used, my genny  is fitted for gas, ng or propane and has run on all 3. Its a comfort knowing that too. I also wired a feed to the main panel for the Interlock on the main panel, I like the idea of having the option to use anything electric in the house if I want.

• Like 1

FYI..Tractor Supply has 100# tanks for $130. Just in case or if someone doesn't have N/G.

During Sandy I ran everything in my house with the exception of the central air with my B&S Storm. I even tried the furnace which is on the same piping as the gen. Never burped. Just turn off the fridge while using the microwave. :rolleyes:

And remember to turn it back on! lol

• Like 1

Just my opinion but you're over thinking it. This is for emergency's. Are you going to start the genset with all your other gas and electric  appliances running at the same time? No right? Just run 3/4" to the gen and call it good.

I'm sure the plumbing inspector will understand that it is only for an emergency, and will allow you to underpipe everything...

Whether or not you are going to do it with a permit, it will come up if you ever sell the house.

18 minutes ago, Screwball said:

I'm sure the plumbing inspector will understand that it is only for an emergency, and will allow you to underpipe everything...

Whether or not you are going to do it with a permit, it will come up if you ever sell the house.

Unscrew the quick disconnect-cap the line-done

4 hours ago, bhunted said:

Did you change your gas lines?

I did not have to.  I had a reasonably long run, the house was built in 2000 and the plumber thought it was up to the load. 

• Like 1

I did not have to.  I had a reasonably long run, the house was built in 2000 and the plumber thought it was up to the load. 

What size line is it?

Or when plumbing/electrical/building inspector drives by or zoning officer and sees shiny new generator on the side of the house.

Generators need 100% load at startup, but I'm sure it will be fine with 50% (sarcasm).

Every house is different.

Make generator first hit direct off meter and you only have to change pipe outside between meter and house.