bhunted

Estimate for Generator Gas Line.

Errrrrrr, 3 pages and no takers? Estimates?[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your on the other side of the Raritan I believe. If so I don't venture into North Jersey, but if trench was dug we would provide and install pipe for around $1,000. Material is expensive because of the elbows they run $100 each. Hope that helps with your estimate search.

Glad I'm not the only one who finds him senseless and annoying. Just add to block list.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The gas line is not below ground though. It could be ran on basement ceiling then onto wall and out the side with a quick disconnect or cap couldn’t it?

Yes you could. So your meter is in the basement? If so you cut existing pipe at meter, increase pipe out of meter to appropriate size, install say 1 1/4" x 3/4" tee (assuming existing is 3/4") tie existing back into new tee, continue 1 1/4" line to generator. Labor is more but material is less. Assuming unfinished basement and hanging pipe at bottom of joists it could still be done for $1,000. If finished basement or drilling joists it would be more.

Alright who deleted the best and most deserved statement I've seen yet? Unless bhunted asked for it to be removed Mod really should put it back. I would have screen shot it if I thought the censors were going to remove it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

The gas line is not below ground though. It could be ran on basement ceiling then onto wall and out the side with a quick disconnect or cap couldn’t it?

thats exactly what i did. was fortunate to already have a capped 3/4" T from an abandoned hot water heater that made it easy. I connected a shutoff there and allowed me to take my time running the line outside thru base ment/crawlspace-pia lol. Used stock off the shelf black pipe from home depot-cheap. i put a q/d on a brass coupling on the end where it is exposed to the weather but still covered it with a improvised grey plastic electric box. i put on a pressure gauge w a schraeder valve to pump in air for the pressure test then fitted the q/d. easy and inexpensive. shit. the 10' 3/4 flex ng hose with the fittings was the most expensive piece after the gen!  In fact when I went for the permit app no one had ever tried(legally) to hook up a portable gen like this and they had to invent some pprwrk, including a waiver that I would only operate it at least 10' (thus the hose) from the house/combustables.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

Yes you could. So your meter is in the basement? If so you cut existing pipe at meter, increase pipe out of meter to appropriate size, install say 1 1/4" x 3/4" tee (assuming existing is 3/4") tie existing back into new tee, continue 1 1/4" line to generator. Labor is more but material is less. Assuming unfinished basement and hanging pipe at bottom of joists it could still be done for $1,000. If finished basement or drilling joists it would be more.

Alright who deleted the best and most deserved statement I've seen yet? Unless bhunted asked for it to be removed Mod really should put it back. I would have screen shot it if I thought the censors were going to remove it.

Yep, unfinished and attached to joists. Closest tap is to the dryer. Might even be the right size pipe. I have to look.

US Carb will make any custom length flexi gas line with coupling. So may only need 10' of solid gas line to get it outside.

1 hour ago, siderman said:

thats exactly what i did. was fortunate to already have a capped 3/4" T from an abandoned hot water heater that made it easy. I connected a shutoff there and allowed me to take my time running the line outside thru base ment/crawlspace-pia lol. Used stock off the shelf black pipe from home depot-cheap. i put a q/d on a brass coupling on the end where it is exposed to the weather but still covered it with a improvised grey plastic electric box. i put on a pressure gauge w a schraeder valve to pump in air for the pressure test then fitted the q/d. easy and inexpensive. shit. the 10' 3/4 flex ng hose with the fittings was the most expensive piece after the gen!  In fact when I went for the permit app no one had ever tried(legally) to hook up a portable gen like this and they had to invent some pprwrk, including a waiver that I would only operate it at least 10' (thus the hose) from the house/combustables.

Yes, the rules the gen has to be a certain distance from house. Mine is about 20' from the house. All I have to do is roll it out of the shelter and plug everything in. Hmmm, I can prob do most of this. The crawling around on my bad knees is the worse part.

13 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Yes, the rules the gen has to be a certain distance from house. Mine is about 20' from the house. All I have to do is roll it out of the shelter and plug everything in. Hmmm, I can prob do most of this. The crawling around on my bad knees is the worse part.

Two words...

Knee pads 

You can do this!

Two words...
Knee pads 
You can do this!

Lmao! Hey, I don’t swing that way. [emoji23]
But seriously. I got a good set. Wore them once and was in heaven. Sad part is I forget I have them and bitch about it after I screw my knees up.

I spent 3 months working on the ground building a zen type garden for my wife and totally forgot about the effing pads. Crippled the hell out of me for 3 months afterwards and still hurting. Doc yelled at me big time! Got to remember getting old sux!
466a4b8ac9036e2de82f946677fd01e5.jpg

Yep, unfinished and attached to joists. Closest tap is to the dryer. Might even be the right size pipe. I have to look.

US Carb will make any custom length flexi gas line with coupling. So may only need 10' of solid gas line to get it outside.

Of course you can tap off the dryer but you shouldnt. If you do you will likey have to increase all the gas pipe. Plus that is likely a 1/2" line. You basically need to run a homerun back to the meter in most likely 1" gas pipe and if you don't have 1" coming out of the house side of the meter you need to increase it to 1" at least until the first tee that goes to the generator and the rest of the house. You may have to run 1 1/4" you have to add up the total pipe distance from meter to generator then go to chart for generator and bbq. Rent, buy, or borrow a hand threaded and cut and thread in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m going to make a map of my layout and mark the length and size of each line coming out of the meter. Seems the only right way to hash this out. Then I’ll post it as a graphic here. Maybe it will also help with estimates. Got 3 projects going on here and I’m going nutso. [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m going to make a map of my layout and mark the length and size of each line coming out of the meter. Seems the only right way to hash this out. Then I’ll post it as a graphic here. Maybe it will also help with estimates. Got 3 projects going on here and I’m going nutso. [emoji57]

That will work. Post as jpg I can then mark it up with photo editor.

• Like 1

Whelp, did a rough sketch. When I get to my desk in the morning, I’ll do a more legible graphic.
So far all lines feeding something is only 1”....the line into the meter looks to be 1.5”.....

y'all are reminding me I need to install my conversion kit, and find a flexible gas line to run from the fitting in the garage.  question is can I run a hose that long. if I go to full length of my generator cable, we're talking at least 50' of hose.

y'all are reminding me I need to install my conversion kit, and find a flexible gas line to run from the fitting in the garage.  question is can I run a hose that long. if I go to full length of my generator cable, we're talking at least 50' of hose.

You need to call the converter folks.

On 9/20/2017 at 7:27 PM, capt14k said:

That will work. Post as jpg I can then mark it up with photo editor.

OK, hope this helps.... It's rough, but hopefully legible...

bhunted_gasline.jpg

What is your total BTU? I estimate 385,000 which means you should increase the gas pipe to 1 1/2" from the meter to the furnace then if everything is 1" after that simply tap the 1" and continue that to the generator

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

What is your total BTU? I estimate 385,000 which means you should increase the gas pipe to 1 1/2" from the meter to the furnace then if everything is 1" after that simply tap the 1" and continue that to the generator

Doesn't sound bad.... I have to go get that. Was late last night and forgot to get the btu.... I'm guessing about 275,000. At what point can I leave the lines alone or????

You have to have minimum 1 1/4" to furnace or homerun from meter to generator up to 315,000.

275,000 sounds low. Usually it's 120 Furnace, 60 range, 45 dryer, and 40 water heater. Then your adding probably 120 for generator. I estimated low at 365,000.

If all these devices won’t be used during a crisis, is there still a need? Like just the stove, furnace and water heater?

No but if you want to be to code it should be done. Just the generator alone needs 1". If you are using furnace and generator it needs 1 1/4" to furnace

Ok, so basically get a 1.5” to the furnace from meter and I can tap a 1” off that dead line out to the gen area with 1”. Did I get that right?

So, my meter is so damn old all the stickers have faded and fallen off. :)

What I could read from the hard stamped plaque has a box labeled "CFH" with a value of "275" in it.

The line after the meter into the house is 1" for about 14' linear.
1/2" tee for the water heater at 6'
3/4" tee for the furnace at 12' (that necks down to 1/2" after the shut off valve)
neck down to 3/4" at 14'
3/4" tee at 16', with the straight heading for the gas dryer.
3/4" pipe is the rest of the run out to the other side, with a 3/4" tee to the stove at 46'.
the 3/4" shutoff valve for future hookup to the generator is at about 60' distance.

I could probably replace a good chunk of the 3/4" line to the generator outlet if needed. It's all accessible and i'm not adverse to working with black pipe.  The question is, how does the size changes effect the final BTU number at the end of the run?

Ummm, that meter and regulator should be replaced. I’m surprised your gas company didn’t insist on it. PSEG tells me when to replace it. The just replaced my meter, regulator and vent for free. This is the 3rd time over the decades I can recall them doing so. I’d give them a call if I were you.

PSE&G around here gives fewer shits than JCP&L does.  so few in fact it might actually be a negative number.
I've been here 16 years and this meter looks like it's original to the house (1986.)

Request it changed then. Should be no charge. Better to be safe than sorry.