Sign in to follow this  
NJ Diver

FID and Moving - Do I Have to Wait to Purchase?

I have very recently moved from Brick to Toms River. I have already filed the paperwork to get the change of address done on my FID as well as another permit.

My question is, do I have to wait for my new FID card before I can purchase a rifle/shotgun? My DL has already changed to my new address so I was concerned about the different addresses being an issue with the purchase.

Without knowing how long Toms River takes to process things, I wasn't sure how long of a wait I had in store or if I could purchase now.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

Take a look in 2C:58.

Not finding it. Got a specific statute? 

A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority.

Changing an address was never a disability, unless it has changed since 2013. That is what I am asking.

• Like 2

I learned not to listen to what they say. [emoji12] You'll get a different answer from someone else, or even the same person on a different day. I follow what the law says.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

FID doesn't expire for 30 days until after moving.... Are you within the grace period? [emoji3]
A FPID never expires. It becomes invalid when one becomes prohibited. Moving is not a disqualifier. The addresses need not match. Yes, the law says one needs to change their address in 30 days, but there is no penalty. It does not become invalid. I've talked to county prosecutors about this and they agree.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

A FPID never expires. It becomes invalid when one becomes prohibited. Moving is not a disqualifier. The addresses need not match. Yes, the law says one needs to change their address in 30 days, but there is no penalty. It does not become invalid. I've talked to county prosecutors about this and they agree.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

^^^^THIS^^^^

Quite frankly this entire question goes-into what I've been saying & writing about for YEARS!  Thinking outside-the-box now:

If a person who has multiple residences in NJ is allowed the exemptions in the statutes FROM ALL OF HIS/HER RESIDENCES, and that person has only ONE NJFPID card, how can they (the Prosecutors) prosecute someone for moving to a singular residence and then continue to enjoy the same exemptions?  Transportation exemptions, transporting hollow point ammo, stopping to pee, and many, many more EXEMPTIONS (ALL OF THEM!) are still legally IN FORCE after you move from one singular residence to the other!  This FACT is why no one gets fined or jailed for not turning-in your NJFPID card upon moving :) .  If I'm willed a gun & named in the will, I can drive to the Executor's home or office to pick up my personal tangible property & do so WITHOUT ANY FIREARMS PAPERWORK AT ALL, and I can take my property to an exempt location to store it, shoot it, sell it or have it repaired/serviced.  No NJFPID is needed to legally transport it (otherwise there'd be a sh!t-ton of innocent folks locked-up right now dating from before most of you were born)!

Some FFL's don't know the real law & just go by what they're told verbally, and this verbal communication can differ from person to person, which then leads to compounded misunderstanding which then leads to FFL's "playing it SAFE" & doing what they're told verbally.  Hell, I've already heard that hollow points are ILLEGAL in NJ from more than one New Jersey FFL in my lifetime!

Matching addresses?  Show me the LAW that says this!  Or is it just "FFL's playing it SAFE"?  Need your address to match for a finicky sob?  Have a boating accident while moving.  Then go to DMV & get a new license with your new address & THEN apply for your NJFPID card address change.  Keep your old documents that MATCH because don't you have the SAME RIGHTS as a multi-millionaire that can afford 2 or more residences in NJ, and he/she can BUY FIREARMS & travel between these residences with unloaded firearms all day long...  Do any of you seriously have an idea how many P2P's are used with "old addresses" & a matching NJFPID card?  

One last punch in the head:  Where does it say that you have to DRIVE to buy guns?  Show me the law please!  You can't discriminate a partially blind gun collector with maccular degeneration that can no longer drive.  He/she is still allowed to own & buy firearms.  So any state-recognized photo ID will satisfy the laws of the land.  So don't get so "hung-up" on matching DL's!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Some FFL's don't know the real law & just go by what they're told verbally, and this verbal communication can differ from person to person, which then leads to compounded misunderstanding which then leads to FFL's "playing it SAFE" & doing what they're told verbally.  Hell, I've already heard that hollow points are ILLEGAL in NJ from more than one New Jersey FFL in my lifetime!

Yup - FID and DL addresses matching is something some FFL's **choose** to require.  It is not required by law.

Some enlightened FFL's do not have the matching address requirement.

I wouldn't hesitate to do a Private sale with someone who's addresses didn't match.

If we follow the Federal requirements for purchasing from a dealer, it should be enough for a face to face. A Government issued document(s) containing Photo, DOB and address is all that is required. As long as the address on the 4473, COE or P2P matches an address on one of the documents, that should be good enough for a transfer.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Title 13 - Chapter 54

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.11

A) Person shall apply for a replacement In the case of a Change of Residence by the holder, within 30 days of such change.

According to NJSP - when doing an inspection / Audit - The ID info attached to the 4473

(NJ D/L & FID card) must match unless Sale or transfer has take place prior the the 30th day

of the new address on the D/L. if they do not match, and thr issue date of the D/L is more tham 30 days prior to the transaction, they (NJSP) say the FID card is no longer valid and the transaction cannot be completed.

just saying what there telling me............... 

So Jack, Is this stating that I can complete a purchase (assume shotgun) prior to the issue of my updated FID as long as it is prior to 30 days from the date of the renewed/address change on my DL?

I renewed my DL w/ address change on 9/11, the same day as I filed the paperwork for the change of address on my FID and a new pistol permit.