Lostboy

Question about a Loud Truck.

I don't know who to ask, so I thought this may be the best place. I work in a shop, and without exaggeration there is a group of 3 Loud dumps that drive by about 20 times a day all from the same company. Now look, I'm not a crybaby and I hate to even make a problem, but these 3 trucks, one in particular, rattle the walls they're so loud. It's all day, every day. If I'm talking to a customer I have to stop while they pass as raising my voice won't cut through. What in the ever loving hell can I do? I have tractor trailers and other dumps go by all the time and they are virtually silent in comparison. I'm going to go deaf and/or lose my mind over this. I'm not the only one either. The guys I work with and neighbors are also getting annoyed.

I see a lot of good advice on here. I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best thing is to get the company name off of the truck, and call them. often times in fleets, the company may be unaware of the condition as fleet drivers tend to not report problems.

Yeah. I thought about it. Problem is, these trucks are pretty new (or just very clean). I feel as though these chrome stacks were added and the company is well aware of their sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you're being a baby! Something loud enough to drown out normal conversation is bloody awful. Yeah, I would talk to the company directly FIRST. Have the plate #'s of the specific trucks that are causing the problem. And are they just a branch of a larger company? If they ignore you locally, contact their HQ office.

Then, if you get no satisfaction there, turn to the town. If your town is like most towns, very few people attend Town Council meetings. Rally EVERYONE who's complaining - business owners and residents alike - to show up at the next meeting. That always gets attention. Bring evidence: a video showing how normal conversation is blotted out when a truck passes, a chart that recorded how many times a day they pass your business, etc. And find out ahead of time if there's a noise ordinance in place - some even list acceptable decibel levels - you might be able to insist on testing. Make sure everyone doesn't merely attend but they get up to complain during the public portion of the meeting --- the impacted business owners who are worried about potential lost business, maybe a young mom who's newborn is awakened by the noise, etc., etc.. In other words, start squawking! And pull all the emotional strings you can.

If the town fails you, you've always got the press. Letters to the editor, perhaps contacting the local reporter on the municipal beat, etc. Ratchet up the pressure. (Hell you might even want to pull in that reporter BEFORE you go to the first town council meeting). No business wants to see their name pilloried in the local paper, and likewise, no Mayor wants to be accused of "inaction" by his/her constituents in the press. Hopefully, you won't have to take it that far. Good luck!

First, set up a video camera.  Gather your facts/evidence over several days, keep a log of when they drive by.  Second, Talk to your neighbors about the problem and see who's on board. Third, write and send a letter to the owner of the company.  It's easy enough to find out who owns a company.  Fourth, wait for a response.  If the problem is solved, You are done.  If they don't reply, or tell you to go pound sand, then call the cops and sign a noise complaint. If your neighbors are on board (have a spine) have them submit their own separate complaints.  Next, go to a town council meeting and lodge your complaint there.  Lastly, if all else fails, get a lawyer to send them a letter of intent to sue because they are disrupting your business and causing economic harm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

First, set up a video camera.  Gather your facts/evidence over several days, keep a log of when they drive by.  Second, Talk to your neighbors about the problem and see who's on board. Third, write and send a letter to the owner of the company.  It's easy enough to find out who owns a company.  Fourth, wait for a response.  If the problem is solved, You are done.  If they don't reply, or tell you to go pound sand, then call the cops and sign a noise complaint. If your neighbors are on board (have a spine) have them submit their own separate complaints.  Next, go to a town council meeting and lodge your complaint there.  Lastly, if all else fails, get a lawyer to send them a letter of intent to sue because they are disrupting your business and causing economic harm.

Yeah, I didn't even think of the cops and then a letter of intent. Great ideas! That usually scares the bejeezus outta businesses. :D

• Like 1

What are the traffic laws for the street you live on. Many have weight limit restrictions to keep truck traffic to busier routes. Many drivers will ignore signs because LE is lax in enforcement.  Get town council to pass weight restriction limit on your street.

Some towns have ordinances on the books banning the use of brake retarders. They make a lot of noise hence the laws against use in certain areas. See if your town has an ordinance against them or engine braking which is also very loud.

If your town does and you get nowhere by contacting the trucks owners I'm sure the local police would welcome an opportunity to sit on your property and write what I'm sure will be very expensive tickets.

• Like 1