MartyZ

Need help from Chevy or GM mechanic

On 10/7/2017 at 9:19 PM, 1LtCAP said:

dude.......you ever put aluminum cylinder heads on a car? imagine doing that for every headbolt on both heads. in a specific order.

also.....18" bar isn't long enough.

As I said, I need to get to my local shop and get it up on a lift to be able to use a longer bar. I also ordered another set of new bolts (another $50) down the drain to replace these new bolts when I get it up on a lift.

On a side note, i'm not trying to argue, i'm just trying to understand. The GM service manual states nothing about these being TTY bolts, TTY only comes up on online boards and I am honestly thinking that people are misinterpreting the GM specs. The GM manual states to replace the bolts and torque them to 44 front, 30 rear, and add 90 degrees, nowhere does the manual state TTY. I am thinking GM wants them replaced due to the chemical thread locker and specifying a torque plus angle spec, not a TTY spec. The reason I am thinking this is because these bolts don't look like stretch bolts, they don't have a reduced diameter shank like head bolts do. These bolts honestly look like standard coated 10.9 bolts, see pics below (can't embed them thru google photos). When the new bolts come in I will also measure and compare them, didn't think of doing that with the first set of new bolts.

Front

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZklyYYZwFZf33YPr2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vbKt1tooJJ2J6jnn1

Rear

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3ZwW80zHeoGwak3V2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pf9kSVj466g9BduX2

Well, i finally replaced the bolts this morning, what a pain in the a$$. Seven went in fine, but one front right, resulted in a broken socket and broken breaker bar. Yep thats right, those bolts, trying to tighten them to spec resulted in loosing a socket and braker bar just 3 degrees short of spec. I still think these bolts are not tty (stretch) bolts, but the specs are torgue PLUS angle, with a ton of chemical thread locker on them. I compared the original bolts to the brand new ones, no sign of stretch. Lengths are the same and threads line up perfectly.

12 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Well, i finally replaced the bolts this morning, what a pain in the a$$. Seven went in fine, but one front right, resulted in a broken socket and broken breaker bar. Yep thats right, those bolts, trying to tighten them to spec resulted in loosing a socket and braker bar just 3 degrees short of spec. I still think these bolts are not tty (stretch) bolts, but the specs are torgue PLUS angle, with a ton of chemical thread locker on them. I compared the original bolts to the brand new ones, no sign of stretch. Lengths are the same and threads line up perfectly.

Umm, you broke a breaker bar?

correct?

Husky socket and harbor freight breaker bar. They are not mac or snap-on, but life time warranty. Socket is already replaced and breaker bar will be replaced tomorrow. The funny thing is that a harbor freight impact socket and harbor freight long handle 1/2 inch ratchet were able to handle the last 3 degrees

husky is lifetime warranty. i dnno how harbor freight warranties their stuff. mac tools suck. i bought some when i was a noob. snap on and matco is mostly what i own now. for heavy duty like that, i wouldn't use anything else, although i understand you gotta work with what ya have.