Sign in to follow this  
deerpark

[Video] Bolt action mishap.

Rarely do MZ "blow up". This fool committed one of three simple rule violations.  Too much powder charge or wrong powder i.e. smokless, I see it all too frequently especially with the pellets, one more for more speed,etc., failure to firmly seat the projectile and charge in the barrel. Yes, if loosely packed or not at all your in big trouble.  Lastly, some type of barrel obstruction be it an obstruction before loading or multiple or wrong projectiles, something that did not belong.  Ramrods left in the barrel most likely get blown out in pieces. 

Learn the basics and they are as safe or safer than cartridges.

On 9/19/2017 at 4:05 PM, T Bill said:

Rarely do MZ "blow up". This fool committed one of three simple rule violations.  Too much powder charge or wrong powder i.e. smokless, I see it all too frequently especially with the pellets, one more for more speed,etc., failure to firmly seat the projectile and charge in the barrel. Yes, if loosely packed or not at all your in big trouble.  Lastly, some type of barrel obstruction be it an obstruction before loading or multiple or wrong projectiles, something that did not belong.  Ramrods left in the barrel most likely get blown out in pieces. 

Learn the basics and they are as safe or safer than cartridges.

^^^^THIS^^^^  T Bill hit the nail on its' head!  It's the result of operator error (stupidity)!  Double charge, or even triple charge!, No witness mark on the ramrod.  Failure to use a good range rod to seat projectiles on the powder charge.  Trying to make a 300 yard gun out of a muzzleloader by "Magnumizing" it.  Or hey Charlie, I'll make a duplex load (smokeless added to black powder substitute), so hold my beer!

Also, FWIW modern muzzleloaders a (4) shot guns.  On shot #5 you can't seat the sabot onto the charge because all of the previous (4) PLASTIC sabots have partially MELTED IN THE BORE!  This requires cleaning with "Shotgun Wad Cleaner" from Brownell's AFTER first removing all substitute powder residues by whatever muzzleloader cleaning drill you use.  

Ever wonder WHY there are so many used muzzleloaders on the market?  I KNOW why:  The melted plastic sabot residue is still in the lands & grooves, and this turns these guns into wide-grouping, unreliable, scatterguns.  A simple thorough cleaning as I've written^^^ will result in accuracy being restored to "like-new" bore condition.  Since most modern muzzleloader owners are hunters looking to extend their seasons, the guns never actually receive the cleaning I mentioned.  So every other season or so, it's time to buy a new muzzleloader.  None of the stores will tell you this, because they just want to sell you another gun(s)!  Don't believe me, try it for yourself.  If your accuracy doesn't improve, I'll buy the gun from you for the same trade-in $$$ you're willing to take from the Dealer, lol!

If anyone here needs help with muzzleloading, I'm available & work cheap (beer & pizza).  I earned my NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading years ago