Zeke

Cz o/u

12 hours ago, W2MC said:

Hey!  I love mine!  (the older ones)

(actually an Xpert 96, but the same thing w/o the scrollwork-made by Olin-Kodensha in the late 70s - early 80s)

But, then again, I am not particularly recoil-shy.

Nothing wrong with thumpers but he is looking for a gun for his wife to use. 

I'm not recoil sensitive either but last winter I had a chance to shoot an older one and my FN made one side by side. My FN made one was noticeably less recoil with the same ammunition. I was surprised by how noticeable it was.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I'm not recoil sensitive either but last winter I had a chance to shoot an older one and my FN made one side by side. My FN made one was noticeably less recoil with the same ammunition. I was surprised by how noticeable it was.

The older Olin-Kodensha were without choke tubes, barrels were thinner, gun was a bit lighter. Gun was well-balanced and these are nice examples for a quality O/U. FN guns made today are a little heavier, but solid guns. 

1 hour ago, Parker said:

The older Olin-Kodensha were without choke tubes, barrels were thinner, gun was a bit lighter. Gun was well-balanced and these are nice examples for a quality O/U. FN guns made today are a little heavier, but solid guns. 

Also FN lengthened the forcing cones in an attempt to reduce recoil a bit. 

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Surprising (the lighter part).  between my 96 and a beretta 686, I thought the beretta was the lighter gun.

An almost new Remington Peerless just popped-up on the NJ hunter board.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/82-classifieds-free/286458-remington-peerless-12-ga-over-under-shotgun.html

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Also why a gas autoloader (like the S&W 1000) might be a better choice for a 12 gauge for mrs peel.....

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

Also why a gas autoloader (like the S&W 1000) might be a better choice for a 12 gauge for mrs peel.....

It's @Mrs.Zeke who's in the market, not me! She is a far better shot than me. I'd have to hit a heck of a lot more clays... an build up my arm strength... before I'd even consider plunking down money on a shotgun! I simply miss too many clays, LOL... need more "shotgun shootouts", I guess. :D

15 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

It's @Mrs.Zeke who's in the market, not me! She is a far better shot than me. I'd have to hit a heck of a lot more clays... an build up my arm strength... before I'd even consider plunking down money on a shotgun! I simply miss too many clays, LOL... need more "shotgun shootouts", I guess. :D

But if you buy your own and practice a bit you can come to the next shotgun shoot out and impress everyone

Jus sayen

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Yeah my Remington 11-87 is the softest shooting 12ga I have...

^^^^THIS^^^^

11-87 Youth Models often fit women.  A Monmouth Co. R&P Club member bought herself one to shoot their bowling pin competitions with years ago.  She held her own competing in their USPSA league back then with her handgun(s).  Her 20 ga. Youth fit her like a glove, never gave her a bruise, and fed low-brass birdshot all day long (#4's or larger shot were required by the club for bowling pins).  Gas operation is the only way to fly if you have a shooter that's both recoil sensitive and tends to complain that guns are "heavy".  A heavy gun recoils less, but can cause a weight sensitive shooter to spasm if the heavy gun is held too long.  

8 hours ago, fishnut said:

I'm jus looking for lower priced alternatives to recommend. She has her own card....

Soooo my friends for my sake, let's think best value.... 

50 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I'm jus looking for lower priced alternatives to recommend. She has her own card....

Soooo my friends for my sake, let's think best value.... 

Used market is your friend. My buddy got an older well used but not abused citori for 800 bucks. 

Check out older skb or pretty much anything elce made in Miroku Japan if your ok with fixed chokes 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

I bought my wife the Franchi Catalyst Instinct after much research.  Pretty nice gun for 1200 or so.  Specifically designed for women.

http://www.franchiusa.com/instinct-catalyst-shotgun

Looking in 20 g

how does your wife like it?

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

Looking in 20 g

how does your wife like it?

To be honest,  she will be firing it for the first time on OCT 20th at the Gun for Hire Gold member trap shooting event.  Any one who wants to go can come as my guest for 100 bucks for the day.  All the free shotgun shells,  claybirds,  and food.  This is a really good fun day.

• Like 1

Regarding "it's too heavy".   If this is for clay sports you're only holding the gun for 3 seconds at a time.   Between shots waiting for your turn you are resting your barrel on the pad.

its 95% waiting your turn 5% shouldering it.

Maybe atshootup meet ups people are holding the gun in their hands all the time to not offend the loaner.

i see guys with $7k guns resting on the pads.

rest.  Relax