Branrob91

Riding motorcycle with backpack

I have done all kinds of things carrying and transporting that were not exactly in keeping with the spirit of NJ law (all happily outside the statute of limitations). I wouldn't chance motorcycle carry in a million years. I'd not only worry about getting arrested, I'd worry about getting shot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I have done all kinds of things carrying and transporting that were not exactly in keeping with the spirit of NJ law (all happily outside the statute of limitations). I wouldn't chance motorcycle carry in a million years. I'd not only worry about getting arrested, I'd worry about getting shot.

Agreed.

Too many open definitions in terms, locked case, trunk, passenger compartment, etc. For the extra 3 bucks in gas why make the lawyers richer?

5 hours ago, Branrob91 said:

Is it considered legal to ride my bike with my pistol unloaded in my backpack or is that considered concealed carry?

I'm just curious because there isn't anywhere else to put it when you're on a sport bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ride my sports bike to range and transported and still transport my handguns in backpack. Handgun(s) are in their original container, closed. 

I also transported handguns, by foot, in their original container, put in a plastic shopping bag from a FFL who conducts business on a busy street to my car parked few blocks away.  There once was a cop car right on the street, who saw me come out of FFL business and I was neither stopped nor arrested.  IANAL. So yeah, for me, its legal. 

All these scenarios I was "transporting" to/from exempted location(s) and not "carrying". 

EDIT: Each of us take certain risks everyday. Only you can decide what degree of that risk is acceptable to you. IANAL. 

• Like 1

I've taken range trips on the bike wearing a backpack  with locked pistol cases in one compartment and a few boxes of ammo and mags in the other. The way I see it and who knows if the cop will agree with me they're not easily accessible theyre locked and in separate conpartments from one another. I wouldnt do it with one of those drawstring backpacks, but see a backpack backpack to be ok

• Like 1

In my non-lawyer opinion.  A bike is a vehicle.  There is no trunk. So, transporting in a securely fastened case and unloaded is legal as long as you're traveling within one of the exemptions:  to the range, to a gun shop, to your place of business (that you own), etc.

Traveling to PA is not one of the exemptions, unless you're going to a range in PA.