EWC88

Fall trimming help

The first image is a Burning Bush.  I would not recommend trimming it now.  In a few weeks it will be a beautiful blazing red, hence the name.  Trim it after it turns and most of the leaves have fallen.

The second looks like a weeping cherry.  You can make it look less gangely by hand pruning individual branches or just cut it with a hedge clipper to a uniform length.  Personally, I prefer a more natural habit on weeping trees than a uniform cut but it's your choice.

• Like 1

Sweet thanks for fast response. The burning bush, after the leaves fall off how much would you recommend to trim, 25%?

Weeping cherry the girlfriend likes the natural look. Our neighbor has one that looks like a mushroom to me. I figured to trim it to clean some of the random branches shooting off in weird directions, and also because there are several beaches underneath that look dead (no leaves).

You can trim either of them whenever you want, but scorpio said the burning bush will turn brilliant red soon, so waiting a bit might be a good idea. You can cut them back hard if you want to, they are rather hardy. I would cut off some of the longer branches that are growing into other shrubs on the cherry, but try to keep it as natural as possible.

Yea I'm going to wait on burning bush, want to see it get that red color.

The weeping tree we will keep natural just selective trimming. Need to get all the branches under that have zero growth gone.