YankeeSC

Lack of US made brass-cased .308?

I finally got around to ordering my M1A (picking it up today!) and I have been looking for some bulk US made brass-cased .308 but everywhere I check it is either more than I want to pay (> $.70 per round) or out of stock (sgammo, Target sports, etc).  Is the foreign made steel cased stuff any good in the M1A?   ... or am I going to just have to suck it up and pay more for US brass?

For American you're pretty much gonna have Federal, which is available but usually not cheap.  I know I got some XM80 7.62x51 from Palmetto for $10/box before.  That being said, I don't think you'll have any issues with some brands like Prvi Partzan, PMC, etc.  Even some surplus from Germany should be ok... Not sure about the Malaysian stuff.

I've used some Wolf steel case .308 in my M1A in the past without any issues but I definitely prefer using brass case ammo.

One thing that I noticed after using Wolf is that the chamber of my gun was much dirtier than it is after shooting Federal or PMC brass cases ammo. I chalk it up to the cat pee infused powder than Wolf uses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a lot of folks love the steel case stuff, but I don't.  Maybe in a pinch I'd shoot steel cased but I don't see a pinch coming my way for at least 15 years.  I like to buy American whenever I can.  All of my 5.56 is American Milsurp, well... almost all of it.  I just bought some sealed packs of 62gr Prvi Partizan (PPU) for a rainy day.  As for match grade .223, you won't find a better deal than PPU ammo.  Right now you can pick up PPU 75gr OTM for about $0.48/rd.  The cheapest US match grade I've seen is .75/rd.  PPU has been in business for decades and is a NATO supplier.

SG Ammo has some brass case german milsurp 148gr .308 on sale right now for .45/rd if you don't mind buying a 1000 rd case of it.  They also have 168gr match grade PPU for .70/rd.  Compare that to the average $1.30/rd for American made match grade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

FWIW I found no difference in accuracy with any NATO spec 7.62 I've fired.  I got some Turkish 7.62 NATO from sgammo last year.  Reasonably priced, boxer primed, and so far good brass for reloading.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this.  If you don't already know, you want boxer primed if you reload or save your brass for future reloading.

I've never had any problem with any NATO spec 7.62. Hirtenberger is NATO spec even though it doesn't have the circle in the cross.

Some time ago I saw 7.62x51 with a sign on it that said "Nigerian Surplus".  I opened one box and recognized it was made by Hirtenberger.  Nigeria is where it may have came from but Austria was where it was made.  I bought a bunch of it at about 7 cents a round.  I still find some around.