Maybe you can store them at a firearm storage place such as FSS in Whippany. Then have them shipped to you when you are moved in? I don't know if they will ship them for you, not sure of the legalities of that. But you can definitely come back and ship them to yourself.

Just thinking out loud here.

12 hours ago, areacode201 said:

I am seriously considering moving out of state, likely to Florida, and taking my long guns and hand guns with me.  In making my plans to move I have decided that I will probably not drive there.  I would also prefer not to fly with multiple firearms in checked baggage.  Yes, I know that I legally may be able to fly with them, but after hearing horror stories about checking firearms at local airports that is not a road I want to go down.

The only other option I can think of is shipping.them, but how would I go about this?  Could I ship them to a FFL in Florida and the Florida FFL would hold them for me until I fly down and can go pick them up?  Would this constitute a transfer?  Would I need to first obtain a Florida driver's license with my new address to be able to take possession of them?  Thanks for the help in advance, I've tried googling to find an answer but no luck so far.

Who's moving your stuff? They moving your safe?

fwiw: I flew out of and back to Newark last week with a pistol and ammo and had zero problems. Much easier than I thought it would be. The airlines and TSA were completely professional.

The one big caveat is that if the flight gets diverted to an anti-state do not take possession of your baggage even for a second (leave it on the carousel). Have the airline transfer it for you. I only had 10 round magazines so I don't think that would be an issue anywhere.

Shipping is probably the safest bet. I would not drive through a state that has 10 round limits with a 15 round magazine (or an "assault weapon" in that state).

Thanks for all the input, still trying to figure this out.  Maybe I could "sell" the guns to a local FFL for $1, have the local FFL ship to a Florida FFL that will hold them for me until I get my new license and whatnot then "buy" them from the Florida FFL when I can legally do so for $1 and transfer fees, NICS fees, etc.  I think that would be legal but I'd have to find two FFL's willing to play ball then incur transfer, shipping, and NICS fees.

...or I just bite the bullet and drive.

On 9/22/2017 at 9:30 PM, sota said:

Legally, you can ship a firearm to yourself.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download  see item #6.

Personally, I'd suck up the idea of driving and just do it that way.

Very interesting.  Maybe I could ship to myself "in care of" a Florida FFL and then take possession of the packages when I get down there.

Very interesting.  Maybe I could ship to myself "in care of" a Florida FFL and then take possession of the packages when I get down there.

If you don't have a friend who is an FFL, forget about it.

Are you moving to FL without a place to stay? Just ship them to yourself. DONE.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areacode201 said:

Thanks for all the input, still trying to figure this out.  Maybe I could "sell" the guns to a local FFL for $1, have the local FFL ship to a Florida FFL that will hold them for me until I get my new license and whatnot then "buy" them from the Florida FFL when I can legally do so for $1 and transfer fees, NICS fees, etc.  I think that would be legal but I'd have to find two FFL's willing to play ball then incur transfer, shipping, and NICS fees.

JHCTDOAC--just send them to your new home via ground shipping and set for signature required. Why are you even thinking of involving an FFL? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, areacode201 said:

Where does all this paranoia cone from?

Your quoted idea will cost you transfer fees and shipping fees.  Save the transfer fees and just ship them to yourself as PK90 says.

Who is moving your stuff?  I'm sure you're not moving with just a couple of suitcases.  Movers can legally move guns for you.

I don't know how many guns you have but flying them there can get pretty expensive.  I've gone through Newark lots of times with no problems.  If that concerns you fly out of Philadelphia.

I know you don't want to but the easiest option is just to drive.  Transport the guns IAW FOPA.  When I've moved with guns I've always just taken them in my car.

• Like 1

Shipping rifles and shotguns to yourself is not hard.  You can mail them no problem.  Just buy a rifle case from Amazon, it will arrive in a cardboard box.  Open the cardboard box, take the rifle case out, put your rifles/shotguns in, put the case back in the box, re-seal it, mail it to yourself. 

Shipping handguns is difficult to say the least.  They are not mailable items.  Private couriers such as Fedex and UPS are legally able to ship handguns from yourself/to yourself, but in actuality they refuse to ship handguns anywhere but to a FFL. 

Theoretically you could act like a criminal and not declare the package as having a firearm.  That invites yourself being treated as a criminal if something happens to the package.  As an honest person, you don't need that kind of stress.

You could ship the handguns via Fedex or UPS to a federal firearms dealer in Florida and have him hold it for you there, and you would just get a Florida drivers license and then do the NICS check down there to claim them.  No permits to wait for down there.  The only issue is bringing handguns to Fedex or UPS in New Jersey to ship them.  Are you violating NJ law on possessing a handgun outside of an exemption when you are bringing them to the Fedex or UPS retail location?  Will you be arrested if a police officer walks by?  Will the employees recoil in horror? 

You don't need that kind of stress.  Better option is to bring your handguns to a NJ FFL and have that FFL ship them to a Florida FFL, where you can then pay the NICS fee, fill out a ATF form 4473, pass the check, pay the dealer his fee, and claim them.

In actuality, driving down to Florida with them unloaded and locked in a case is really the best option by far because they will never leave your possession and control. 

Whenever you have a situation where you are checking baggage, or shipping packages, or going through a dealer, there are numerous potential problems that can arise.  Involving other potentially squeamish, error-prone, potentially ill-advised people who don't know the law, with your guns, is best avoided.  Driving to Florida is pretty well covered legally.  You are covered in NJ because you are moving.  Once you get past the NJ border, you are fine everywhere else under 18 USC 926A.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Ditch your hollow point rounds.  They aren't covered by the moving exemption in NJ, as Brian Aitken found out in his trial.  Bring them to a range in NJ and shoot them all off.  Buy new ones in Florida.  Enjoy your Florida permit and play the Miami Vice theme song when you get there.

On 10/3/2017 at 7:55 PM, kman said:

Shipping rifles and shotguns to yourself is not hard.  You can mail them no problem.  Just buy a rifle case from Amazon, it will arrive in a cardboard box.  Open the cardboard box, take the rifle case out, put your rifles/shotguns in, put the case back in the box, re-seal it, mail it to yourself. 

Shipping handguns is difficult to say the least.  They are not mailable items.  Private couriers such as Fedex and UPS are legally able to ship handguns from yourself/to yourself, but in actuality they refuse to ship handguns anywhere but to a FFL. 

Theoretically you could act like a criminal and not declare the package as having a firearm.  That invites yourself being treated as a criminal if something happens to the package.  As an honest person, you don't need that kind of stress.

You could ship the handguns via Fedex or UPS to a federal firearms dealer in Florida and have him hold it for you there, and you would just get a Florida drivers license and then do the NICS check down there to claim them.  No permits to wait for down there.  The only issue is bringing handguns to Fedex or UPS in New Jersey to ship them.  Are you violating NJ law on possessing a handgun outside of an exemption when you are bringing them to the Fedex or UPS retail location?  Will you be arrested if a police officer walks by?  Will the employees recoil in horror? 

You don't need that kind of stress.  Better option is to bring your handguns to a NJ FFL and have that FFL ship them to a Florida FFL, where you can then pay the NICS fee, fill out a ATF form 4473, pass the check, pay the dealer his fee, and claim them.

In actuality, driving down to Florida with them unloaded and locked in a case is really the best option by far because they will never leave your possession and control. 

Whenever you have a situation where you are checking baggage, or shipping packages, or going through a dealer, there are numerous potential problems that can arise.  Involving other potentially squeamish, error-prone, potentially ill-advised people who don't know the law, with your guns, is best avoided.  Driving to Florida is pretty well covered legally.  You are covered in NJ because you are moving.  Once you get past the NJ border, you are fine everywhere else under 18 USC 926A.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Ditch your hollow point rounds.  They aren't covered by the moving exemption in NJ, as Brian Aitken found out in his trial.  Bring them to a range in NJ and shoot them all off.  Buy new ones in Florida.  Enjoy your Florida permit and play the Miami Vice theme song when you get there.

Isn't Maryland a problem with the 10 round magazine? Most reasonable routes to Florida go through Maryland.

OP, you need to stop thinking NJ if you want to survive in a free state.  Mail them to yourself, no middle man.  There is no reason to involve an FFL to transfer guns that belongs to you.  The gun are your property.  In free America I can hand a gun to a friend and say "it's yours".  I can also trade my guns without any paperwork.  I like to document transactions for my own protection, but I don't have to.  

I shipped over 100 firearms to myself just over a month ago.  It wasn’t cheap given the size and weight.  Check shippers requirements on web site.  For example fedex had to go overnight for pistols.   

On 9/22/2017 at 9:30 PM, sota said:

Legally, you can ship a firearm to yourself.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download  see item #6.

Personally, I'd suck up the idea of driving and just do it that way.

Precisely.  That's what I did, my first trip down (i.e. my "official move" trip).  I packed my car and headed down.  The relief I felt when I crossed over the Del. River on I-78 was phenomenal.  The only other concern was the brief 10 minutes I had to spend driving through MD on I-81. After that, not a care in the world.

• Like 1