tony357

bullet seating method ..LBJEIHEADS

rolling out some 40's for new pistol i ordered, After measuring the heads they have a measured range up to .009 difference so i set up to set depth by ogive and not top hoping to have a more consistent load. I always use the ogive on all my round nose with the square deal but was thinking about maybe using top with the 650XL but changed my mind..

180 RNFP 1.120 AOL they will not all be the same using conical but i think depth will be more accurate for an overall setup with chrono..

What are your thoughts ? or which method has yielded best results for you?

IMG_1423.JPG

20 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Im lost. 

seating dies have round nose seat for round nose bullets that seat from ogive on bullet not top, there is also a flat top seat for flat top and semi wad cutters, i chose to seat the bullets by the ogive round nose seat. If you look at the pic of bullets you can see a ring where it pushed the bullet into the case.

Ok.  Look up in books your oal.   For that data. If not id call.  Or email as they do nowadays ibiji.  Id think they can steer you correctly.  I did that on 132 heads at kings in pa.  Or just wing it with a chrono and any experience you have.  Putting safety first.  Dont get the darwin award. 

I know the AOL, if you measure the bullet heads they have a .009 range difference, so if i seat them from the top they will all have a different depth of + or - .009 even though they all measure the same height, if i remember correctly the ogive will be more consistent. The AOL is 1.120 i am using. What i am questioning is the method of seating and what will yield best results for consistency..

Edit for my own reading comprehension

0.009 sounds like an awful lot but I've not used these types of bullets. Seating by the ogive will be better for accuracy but your resulting OAL measurements will be all over the place (not that it's a problem necessarily, at 1.120 you're quite short and shouldn't have to worry about feeding)

If you're really in love with these bullets I know some die manufacturers will cut you a custom seating stem if you send them a bullet, which will grip the bullets down near where the rifling will first engage, which is optimal

I usually just load for oal as I have multple guns in each caliber and I try and keep it simple. I will use the ogive on precision stuff like my 308 and grendel. I may start doing this with 9mm as i only have one pistol

Golf battery : basically he is measuring off the lands of the chamber and knocking it back a bit so the bullet isnt seated too far from the lands which would be a huge source of lost accuracy.

ran a test this morning and came to definate conclusion. I cut out 5 primer pockets seated and crimped 5 different length bullets. it was a .006 spread seating the bullets at the ogive yielded a .002 spread in seated depth in cartridge.

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

5 minutes ago, George Yetka said:

I usually just load for oal as I have multple guns in each caliber and I try and keep it simple. I will use the ogive on precision stuff like my 308 and grendel. I may start doing this with 9mm as i only have one pistol

Golf battery : basically he is measuring off the lands of the chamber and knocking it back a bit so the bullet isnt seated too far from the lands which would be a huge source of lost accuracy.

correct. that is what im after and that is off the ogive. also want same depth in cartridge to have more consistent FPS.

I'm definitely not aiming for match grade in my pistol shooting, Im a very casual pistol shooter I dont compete. Ill go for precision in some of my rifles only. Theres no reason for me not to measure and fix my initial setup for any caliber that i only have one gun for I just havent. My pistols shoot fine so I never pushed for better.

Coated bullets are not made for OCD reloaders. It is very common to see variances such as the ones you have. As long as you're not on the ragged-edge of overpressure, it should be fine. I don't think you'll see any real benefit in going to the semi-wadcutter seating stem, as I often see a slight sprue or coating drip on the flat of coated bullets anyway (that could also account for your bullet length vs. seating depth inconsistency).

For best consistency, you'd be better-off with quality JHP's.

7 hours ago, George Yetka said:

Thank you. I wasnt quite sure what his point was.  And yes i reload.  Thats where i got lost.  Cause i check my headspace for precision rifle shooting but would never think of doing that on a pistol. 

How is it even possible to seat a bullet to the same ogive when dies only seat based on COAL, wouldn't the results be the same? The only way to get consistent seating depth is with consistent bullet heads.

That is based on the fact your bullets have different lengths.

I'm just confused on what the question is here. Your ogive, once measured tells you how deep to seat the bullet, and that gives you your coal.

If the bullet heads are different sizes, the size difference is either at the bullet seat depth, or ogive. And since dies seat to COAL, the only option is for variable seating depth. 

It's worth mentioning that you will probably only see a typical 20-30 fps difference in bullet speed with those variances. Set your dies up using the median size that u measured, this way if there is a .009 spread, then your only +- .0045