Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

Children's Gun Safety Book & Coloring Book

What an interesting idea! An enterprising, gun owning dad wasn't overly impressed with the printed materials used to teach kids about gun safety, so he wrote his own children's book... and then came out with a complementary coloring book. Both available for sale on Amazon.com. Layering the safety message through multiple formats/approaches seems like a good idea to me... I guess this is just one more training tool that gun owners with kids might want to consider. It's picking up a lot of industry endorsements, too.  http://www.guns.com/2017/09/18/safety-on-book-yehuda-remer/ 

• Like 3

I bought two of these, one for each daughter with kids. One has guns and lost her husband, the other is going to get a gun and is just divorced. So both need to talk about guns with the kids. The only problem is that the book is geared toward  "Dad says..." and "I want to be like Dad"....so that will take some creative talking around.

The book is decent, covers a LOT, and should be a big help. Plus it's in a kid's book type format so they can pick it up and look at it themselves.

Man I wish I would have published a book like this!  This book is needed.  It's also obvious to me that it's written by a city dweller that didn't grow-up around guns.  This will sell on the left & right coasts and near urban areas.  Out in fly-over country USA, where gun safety is still taught in schools, 4-H, Scouts, etc., and kids the size of which on the books' cover are already taken on hunting trips, not so much.

What we at the Coalition would really like to see is a program designed for older grammar school pre-teens & teens that doesn't require a parent to read it to their kids.  Something designed for kids that is "cool enough" to let their peers see them reading it w/o getting chastised for same.  Something that doesn't come with a coloring book.  Maybe it comes with a national shooting contest where you mail-in a paper target (.22's or BB rifle), similar in concept to what the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association currently has?  And for kids that aren't being taught how to shoot at the time they read the book, maybe a writing contest where they tell in their own words why gun safety is important.  And then, upon completion of said writing, they get a reward like a free Happy Meal coupon mailed to them?  Yeah, the Left will bitch that we're trying to make the kids Fat Killers!  Eddie Eagle is geared for K-4 graders, maybe 5th graders.  Then there's practically nothing geared for the age group that gets into the most trouble with FOUND GUNS.  We kicked-around trying to put pen to paper, and became somewhat weary of the liability issues surrounding how to teach gun safety to kids if the program wasn't already nationally recognized & you had insurance under the NRA as an Instructor.  Cause you know someone looking for a payday will sue the crap out of a book meant for kids that tells them how to operate a firearm correctly (say a 15 yr old finds a friend playing with their parent's hand gun), and clear it in a safe direction after dropping the mag).  Reality is such that none of us can envision a 15 yr old "gun person" with 5 yrs of trigger time under their belt "telling an adult" after leaving the room/residence while their friend is still playing with said gun....  Tattle-tales in middle school get the sh!t kicked out of themselves.  Honestly, there's nothing out there covering the Tweens age group. 

If any of you would like to give us a way to explore how we can do this w/o being sued by the first Lefty lawyer looking to make money over a dead kids' body (that would have died anyway had nothing been tried/read), please contact me!

Rosey

http://www.cnjfo.com 

16 hours ago, Zeke said:

I want this for xmas @Mrs.Zeke

Coloring Book Version, right?

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

Sweet! I'm going to get one now for when my daughter gets older. Ill put it in the safe with her .22

I kinda want it too but the price is a little on the high side.  Maybe I'll get the Kindle version.  I'll throw it on the Xmas list.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Coloring Book Version, right?

I kinda want it too but the price is a little on the high side.  Maybe I'll get the Kindle version.  I'll throw it on the Xmas list.

It's 15 bucks. How many cigars have you smoked that cost more than 15 bucks? 

I ordered it, then got bitched at by the wife for spending 15 bucks on a children's book when money is tight. then I reminded her about her mani pedi appointment that evening.............she quietly agreed that the book is worth it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

It's 15 bucks. How many cigars have you smoked that cost more than 15 bucks? 

I ordered it, then got bitched at by the wife for spending 15 bucks on a children's book when money is tight. then I reminded her about her mani pedi appointment that evening.............she quietly agreed that the book is worth it

... You do have a point lol.  I've gotten to the point where most of the ones I smoke are $10+