KMA4626

weapon light question for any M&P guys here

I have the shorter m&p 40 2.0 with a 4.25 inch barrel. I am wondering if anyone here who has this pistol knows of a good light that will sit flush with the barrel. I'm not turning up a whole lot of good info on google. I could always check on the s&w forum but I'm not a member on there and I would prefer to see if any of you guys have any info first. thanks.

I would say the TLR-3, especially if you try different keys to change the mount position.

I have an older 5” Pro model, which uses the standard frame. If the rails are the same, and I toss the light on, should be able to see what position I get, if it doesn’t pass the dust cover. Not that up on the 2.0, but if that works for your purposes, I’ll pull the gun/light out of the safe and try out a few keys tomorrow.

TLR-3 is a nice light. 125 lumens... not a TLR-1 HL, but it works good with my Glock 30S. My J-frame LaserMax weapon light is 115 lumens if I remember correctly, and works ok for the purposes needed.

Insight used to make a similar light (want to say the X2), unsure if they still do or are even still around. If I ever needed to, would go on my M&P Compact. But that was like early generation weapon lights... think was an incandescent bulb, maybe 50 lumens. But it did its job back then. TLRs are all LED, now.

Why do you want a light that doesn't pass the muzzle? So it sticks out a bit. So what?

Don't sacrifice function for looks.

The bigger lights are brighter and run longer. 

You are putting the light on the gun because it is a pistol to be used for defensive purposes, no? That extra light sticking out of the muzzle is a benefit on a fighting pistol. It acts as a standoff device preventing the gun from going out of battery (rendering it unable to fire) if you need to make a contact shot.

Embrace the full size light.

• Like 7

Inforce also came out with their APLc (gen 2 i believe).  Right now, there is a Glock model (but will work on other guns - as shown in the pic below) and they are shipping out the 1913 versions to dealers now (Glock model has bar at the end, 1913 model has the bar in the middle to work with more variety of pistols).     Just another option..

maxresdefault.jpg

Why do you want a light that doesn't pass the muzzle? So it sticks out a bit. So what?
Don't sacrifice function for looks.
The bigger lights are brighter and run longer. 
You are putting the light on the gun because it is a pistol to be used for defensive purposes, no? That extra light sticking out of the muzzle is a benefit on a fighting pistol. It acts as a standoff device preventing the gun from going out of battery (rendering it unable to fire) if you need to make a contact shot.
Embrace the full size light.

I agree... if the light extends past the muzzle, who cares. Other than keeping the slide in battery at contact distance, you also reduce shadow (lights on long guns behind the barrel will have that shadow). Even with the light behind the muzzle, you still are going to have carbon buildup, so it isn’t like you are gaining much by trying to find a light that short. Probably easier to get a 5” M&P (if they released the 2.0 in that length yet).

In regards to the full size weapon light (TLR-1, for example), there is a time/place for it. There is also a place for a compact weapon light. As mentioned, I am running a TLR-3 on a Glock 30S.

Profile of a 30 would work similar... just two pictures I found online.

TLR-1
67002caa566e2447ee737a81ffc62e7f.jpg

TLR-3
e363bed90c667b3f90194f415225a267.jpg

Depending on your method of carry, that extra length of the light can be uncomfortable. It would be even more comfortable if Streamlight did more keys to extend the light all the way back to the trigger guard... wouldn’t be flush or behind the muzzle, just less out front.

Is it the brightest light out there? No, but it is a weapon mounted light attached to a carry gun. If it is between that weapon light and no weapon light, I’d opt for it. If it dies, or need something brighter... I have either a Surefire P2X or P3X. Same view with my 9mm S&W 642-1, with the LaserMax weapon light (even less of a profile addition).