Sign in to follow this  
fatty

Norinco Mak-90

I have one and I'm sure you can thread it. They appear to have the same diameter as the Wasr 10 rifles that have the slant brakes.  I would advise against threading it if you ever plan on selling it in the future. The Mak 90 is basically a post ban rebranded Polytech AK. A good condition Mak 90 that has original non-thumbhole Chinese furniture are pretty pricey in today's market. If it is a milled receiver it is worth a few hundred more.

Just threaded my barrel on my Mak-90 , got the Tapco 14x1 LH AK-74 style muzzle brake. Used a crush washer , pinned and welded the brake. I did have enough metal on the barrel and had no issues.

Edited by my72ss
spelling error

Yeah Mike at Tier 1 confirmed there's plenty of material to thread.  I've already done away with the wood furniture and turned it into a "black rifle" with an ultimak gas tube.  Still on the fence whether or not to drop the coin to thread, pin & weld on a muzzle device.  It will cost quite a bit... at least $200 just to add a brake with all the work involved.  Going with something like a Lantac Dragon would cost $300+.....  crazy.

From my experience it's pretty much purely cosmetic. I've run slant brakes on 7.62x39s and there is no difference that I could tell at all.

Supposedly the main point of the slant brake is for full auto, or if you're shooting prone and don't want to kick up dirt. I'm not sure of the veracity of those claims so take it with a grain of gunpowder. I doubt you'll be doing much of either in NJ. 

That said I had 74 style brakes put on a few of the x39s, not the TAPCO crappy 74 brake but actual milsurps bored out to .30 instead of .22. Nothing wrong with the TAPCO slant brake though.  

If reducing recoil is your main concern, you should also try a good sling. I've found nothing to work remotely as good as a nice sling keeping my arm tied nice and tight. At that point these rifles feel like a toy!

Rifle-Sling-Shooting-Lead.jpg