ddfor

Legality of Making a homemade AR-15 Upper

since the upper receiver is not a serialized part and not considered a firearm, would it be legal for me to say, go to the hardware store and buy the right materials to make an ar upper that would work

EDIT: Clarification: What I mean is that if I made the upper from I go to the hardware store and make an upper receiver from metal tubing with a  16" barrel, would it be legal?

1 hour ago, ddfor said:

since the upper receiver is not a serialized part and not considered a firearm, would it be legal for me to say, go to the hardware store and buy the right materials to make an ar upper that would work

Can you elaborate on this one ? How would an upper made from hardware store materials "work" ?  Once you make it "work", does the final contraption satisfy all federal and NJ regulations ? 

9 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Can you elaborate on this one ? How would an upper made from hardware store materials "work" ?  Once you make it "work", does the final contraption satisfy all federal and NJ regulations ? 

Yes it would. What I mean is that if I made the upper from I go to the hardware store and make an upper receiver from metal tubing with a  16" barrel, would it be legal?

3 minutes ago, ddfor said:

Yes it would. What I mean is that if I made the upper from I go to the hardware store and make an upper receiver from metal tubing with a  16" barrel, would it be legal?

Simple answer is, its legal to make / assemble your own non-firearm parts.  But details matter. 

NJ (and even Feds) will get you is if you are making non-serialized (upper) parts, which, when combined with a serialized part (lower) becomes a non-compliant firearm.   But thats the case regardless  if you make those non-firearm parts, order them from places like palmetto state to assemble or modify. 

It doesn't become non compliant unless you build it that way (12" barrel with stock, bayonet lug with other evil features or something else that would otherwise make it illegal under NJ or Federal law).  You could mill the entire upper out of steel in your garage, mark it 123456 and add a carbon fiber barrel you made in your basement and drop it on an lower you purchased.  The lower is the only relevant thing to make it a firearm. If you didn't live in NJ (literally you could live in almost any other state) you could make your own lower as well.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ddfor said:

In what way does it become a non compliant firearm assuming I follow all of laws like 16" barrel and no muzzle device? I dont know so im asking

Let me rephrase. Act of making / assembling your own upper AR is not illegal, as along as the resulting product is compliant.  If you follow all laws, then you should be good to go. 

This thread is getting silly! Unless you are a machinist with all the proper tools, there is no way to build a functioning upper from a typical hardware stores inventory of items. Since the upper is not a gun you can do whatever you want. It's just silly to discuss this any further in my opinion. The OP has asked a rhetorical but not practical question and it has been answered!

• Like 2

This thread is getting silly! Unless you are a machinist with all the proper tools, there is no way to build a functioning upper from a typical hardware stores inventory of items. Since the upper is not a gun you can do whatever you want. It's just silly to discuss this any further in my opinion. The OP has asked a rhetorical but not practical question and it has been answered!
Is the difficulty in the barrel or some other part that's difficult to make?

I bet you could make an ugly handguard from pvc pipe.

Upper receiver, requires machining, 3d printing, or real inspired sheet metal work in layers.

You can make springs at home with just a mandrel.

Plunger for the assist probably can be home made.

Check out some of the ugly zip guns people have made in third world countries.