Kingsoverqueens

AR Ammo - I'm making more out of this than necessary, right?

Just finished my AR build and am trying to select ammo.  Will be shooting off the shelf stuff to start and if this sticks, which it likely will, I'll handload on my 650.  But for the time being we are talking about off the shelf ammo.

The internet in its infinite wisdom tells me that 62 grain projectiles are preferred in a 1:7 twist barrel.  Since I'm going to be shooting a combination of paper and steel, I don't want the green tipped XM or M855 stuff, because that's no bueno with steel, right?

So, for the sake of simplicity, I want to go with XM or M193, right?

I've have some federal XM193 BAll and American Eagle XM193, both 55 grain, in my safe left over from some 3 gun matches I shot with a borrowed gun.

Can't seem to find 5.56 ammo with 62 grain projectile that isn't XM855.

So brain trust, for the beginner shooting who is going to be plinking some steel and paper and the occasional 3 gun event, the XM193 55 grain stuff is fine, yes?

hashtag ocd

Unless you want to shoot teenie tiny groups in paper off a bench, just buy whatevers cheapest and brass cased.  Wolf Gold, freedom 223 or 556 (reman or new), surplus m193, are all good for plinking.

M193 and m855 arent known for the best accuracy...  but m193 is all I buy because i can find it sealed and on the cheap from time to time.  Its perfectly good to go.

• Like 1

If all you're going to be shooting is 55 or 62gr ammo, a 1:9 twist is perfectly sufficient.

The 1:7 you speak of is necessary for the higher weight (ie. match rounds) 77, 80 and 90gr bullets.

Generally speaking, 1:9 twist will properly handle up to 69gr (like Nosler or Sierra match) bullets.

Faster twist is not always better. Consider the bullet weight you will be shooting.

AE223 is your answer.

Don't get wrapped around the axle regarding esoteric minutiae.

223 is fine to shoot. Both the duty and training ammo I purchase for me and for my agency is Federal 223.

AE223N for training - American Eagle 62gr FMJ

T223L for duty - TRU 64gr SP

They are close enough in weight and ballistic characteristics that you can zero for one and shoot both with no change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

If all you're going to be shooting is 55 or 62gr ammo, a 1:9 twist is perfectly sufficient.

The 1:7 you speak of is necessary for the higher weight (ie. match rounds) 77, 80 and 90gr bullets.

Generally speaking, 1:9 twist will properly handle up to 69gr (like Nosler or Sierra match) bullets.

Faster twist is not always better. Consider the bullet weight you will be shooting.

My gun is built with a 1:7 twist.