Pizza Bob

Some Journalists Actually Do Research

Wow, that was surprising... maybe the author reached those conclusions because she's also a statistician by training...? They tend to "follow the data" to its logical conclusions. Whereas most journalists these days (IMO) see themselves more as social justice warriors... and therefore see what they want to see.

• Like 2

It took me nearly three years to convince my wife that guns are not the problem, but that gun violence is just one manifestation of a deeper, far more troubling, epidemic of a broader social malady.  Since the 1960's, the left has been engineering a society where the selfish wants of the individual are put over the overall health and happiness of the society.

Impulsiveness is encouraged, family values are scorned, lewdness has become protected, the value of life diminished, violence glorified in every corner of media, especially music, disrespect for authority promoted by the liberal left.  The mantra of the left is: "If it makes you feel good, do it.  If there are consequences, fight American tradition to make it so there are no consequences .".  The left has effectively done away with the concept of shame.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It took me nearly three years to convince my wife that guns are not the problem, but that gun violence is just one manifestation of a deeper, far more troubling, epidemic of a broader social malady.  Since the 1960's, the left has been engineering a society where the selfish wants of the individual are put over the overall health and happiness of the society.

Impulsiveness is encouraged, family values are scorned, lewdness has become protected, the value of life diminished, violence glorified in every corner of media, especially music, disrespect for authority promoted by the liberal left.  The mantra of the left is: "If it makes you feel good, do it.  If there are consequences, fight American tradition to make it so there are no consequences .".  The left has effectively done away with the concept of shame.

Whoa! You nailed it. For people who say, "But Chicago's crime rates are due to the loose gun laws in surrounding communities," I reply, "then why isn't the crime rate just as high in those surrounding communities where gun laws are more relaxed?" And they fall silent... struggling for an answer. 

You want to reduce gun crime? You have to focus on WHY it's happening, and WHERE the bulk of it is happening. You must get to the root causes. Mass shootings like the one in Vegas are horrific - yet they are also astoundingly rare. The vast majority of U.S. crime is happening in specific, highly dysfunctional neighborhoods in large urban areas. You need to get inner city communities back on track to self-respecting, self-sustaining 2-parent households that don't raise their kids to disrespect cops and other authority figures. A fatherless household leaves a boy, for example, in search of a male role model. And he'll find one - in the local gang. I've always resented that phrase "school-to-prison pipeline" because it obscures the problem - it's really a gang-to-prison pipeline.

I agree 100% that it's social decay that's driving crime. I admit, as a non-religious person, I'm the antithesis of a "holy roller" type. Yet, pagan that I am (LOL), even I would even say that the general falling away from religion and towards secularism is quite likely part of the problem... for most people, religion provides a much-needed moral code and that elevates us as a society.