Kbialick

Where to find the right shotgun

Hi everyone I’m looking to find a shotgun that fits and feels right for my significant other to use while we clay shoot .... I don’t really know where to go that would have a good selection and knowledgeable staff to help me with this ... anyone have any suggestion?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kbialick said:

Sorry that would probably help I’m located in central jersey Woodbridge area I don’t mind taking a little drive if they have a good selection and staff 

GSP exit 58 puts it about an hour away from you. Worth the trip, IMHO.

The staff there is excellent. I do not know who is the trap gun person, but the selection is impressive. 

http://www.shootersnj.com

• Like 1

If your significant other is a woman (can't tell from your name/post, but I'm assuming!), there really is a tremendous amount of options coming out on the market. It might pay for you to both do a little research even before you shop. These models (discussed in articles below) may or may not fit her needs... but I think you can glean from the articles what some of the common features of these ladies' shotguns are....

Compared to the "average man" that most shotguns are actually designed for, the average woman will have shorter arms, shorter fingers, a longer neck, and be far more likely to have cross-dominant vision. So, a lot of these guns have features to account for all of that (and the more expensive ones seem to be highly adjustable to get more of a customized fit). Happy shopping!

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/02/welcome-to-the-golden-age-of-shotguns-for-women/3/

http://www.shootingindustry.com/women-continue-to-benefit-from-shotguns-designed-just-for-them/

http://www.range365.com/six-new-shotguns-for-women 

BTW, if you didn't know, there are also NJGF "shotgun shootouts" held several times a year at the Clinton, NJ Wildlife Mgmt Area - would be a good opportunity for her to handle different shotguns and get an idea of what features she likes. I don't think there were any specific ladies models at the last one, but there were plenty of 20 gauge models... and someone had a youth model as well (another option, depending on your SO's size) that featured a shorter distance to the trigger, good for a small-framed shooter.

Edit: let me clarify... I'm a total newbie myself! Only shot a shotgun ONCE. So, I profess no expertise. But I am, however, a world-class googler! LOL.

• Like 1

Cabela's  in Delaware isn't a bad ride. My wife and I went there last year to get her a shotgun for trap. The gentleman at the counter spent a solid 45 minutes with her and showed just about everything on the wall. I walk away and let her make her own decision. She ended u with a 28 gauge O/U that I never would of thought of. She loves the gun. The  important thing is to let her decide on her gun. 

• Like 2

Eugene Salomon's Shooter Supply in Farmingdale.  His business revolves around Trap.  The inventory always seems sparse when you are in the "show room" and I use that term loosely, but he always has what you need.  Gene is an institution in Trap shooting.  It would be worth your while to give him a call.  His shop is open Wed and Fri 6:30p-9:00p and Sun 1:00p to 4:00p (732) 938-2189.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Griffin and Howe up in Andover it's well worth the ride. They will fit the shotgun to the shooter. They are not cheap but you definitely get more than what you pay for. 

That is an understatement right there.  G and H is for all intensive purposes a custom house.

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Griffin and Howe up in Andover it's well worth the ride. They will fit the shotgun to the shooter. They are not cheap but you definitely get more than what you pay for. 

If your looking for a proper fitting, then this is the place you need to go.